Author Topic: Opinion of Lee Bullet Mold  (Read 10979 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Opinion of Lee Bullet Mold
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
I already have access to a melting pot and have cast bullets before. I'm looking at getting back into it for my 38's and 357's and money is an option as it's tight these days. Most for the least money is Lee stuff. I use a Lee hand press and am very pleased with it. Although the reviews of the Lee 158 grain Tumble Lube SWC mold and the bullets it produces are good I wanted to throw it out there and get other opinions. I would also be using the Lee Lube and Size kit with the Alox. Opinions on this would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Opinion of Lee Bullet Mold
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »
I prefer Lee moulds personally.  They are light and heat up fast.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »
I know, I will get flack for this, but it is my opinion!

The two cavity Lee molds I have used in the past were short life junk.

I do have a couple of the 6 cavity molds - 45acp & 40S&W - which are a solid step up in quality.

The best ever mold I personally have used is my 4 cavity LBT mold for 310gr. .44s

I have had/used Lyman for years, and also a RCBS or two, but the LBT mold is the hands down winner in the quality department.

AS per my comment about the Lee molds, I have avoided the smaller molds for years simply because their design did not allow for long term use.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »
For the price you can replace them 5 times but I've cast thousands of bullets with Lee molds as has my good friend.  They've never let me down and actually produce more usable bullets than other brands.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »
The TL bullet is designed so you don't have to run the bullet through the sizer.
I have quite a few Lee molds, one or two that I know I've had for over 15 years and they all still cast good bullets. I also have a few RCBS molds, and I really like them, too. I'm not real fond of Lyman molds, but that's only my opinion.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:56 AM »
Just got off the Midway website and am thinking of adding the Lee 158 grain SWC GC to my wish list too. I'm thinking that GC would come in handy with hot loads over Lil Gun. Does the Alox tumble lube work with all styles of cast bullets and not just the Tumble Lube bullets ? Thanks.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »
Just got off the Midway website and am thinking of adding the Lee 158 grain SWC GC to my wish list too. I'm thinking that GC would come in handy with hot loads over Lil Gun. Does the Alox tumble lube work with all styles of cast bullets and not just the Tumble Lube bullets ? Thanks.

I use the Lee alox for all different styles of bullets and have had no problems , some of my bullets I want to shoot as-cast and the Lee allows me to lube with out going through the pain of pan or hand lubing .

I also happen to like the Lee molds and use a bunch of them for all my .41 , .44 , .452 and .458 shooting , I don't cast any .357 as I can buy as cheap as doing it myself .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
The two cavity Lee molds I have used in the past were short life junk.

I pretty much agree. Most I've tried are really piss poor excuses for a bullet mould. The bullets don't seem to want to drop from them without some modification to make them do so and the bullets just don't seem as high quality as from Lyman or RCBS moulds which most of mine are one or the other.

They'd do in a pinch but if it doesn't come in a 6 cavity mould I mostly don't consider Lee moulds at all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 02:41:29 AM »
I use Lee molds, they save a lot of money, especially if you are experimenting or are just getting started.  I've noticed that when they get really hot, they tend to leak between the two mold halves.  Usually I let them cool a bit and go right back to it.  Never had any complaints about the overall quality of the bullets they drop.

However, I certainly feel that you get what you pay for with Lyman and RCBS molds (and other high quality iron block molds).  Most of my "expensive" molds are slow to heat up, but once they get there, you can cast all day if your arm can stand to hold the heavy buggers up.

What I do sometimes is buy the Lee molds when I get some new caliber, then later order a Lyman or RCBS mold if I decide to keep the gun.  It's nice to have extra molds for different bullet shapes, weights, etc to experiment with, so you cannot have too many different molds!

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 05:18:39 AM »
Opinions for the most part have been in favor of the Lee molds. Since the Alox lube will work with other styles of bullets I'm going to do away with the Tumble Lube design SWC and go with the 158 gr SWC GC for my hotter loads and a 158 gr FP with a big meplat for the other loadings. I appreciate everyones input.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 05:48:01 AM »
I think you are making a good choice. I generally don't like Lee's tumble lube designs, I find that a lot of those little bands don't fill well. I use their liquid lube on their little 115 gr. SWC and it is one of my favorite bullets. The only disadvantage is that the lube on the front part of the bullet will pick up dirt.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »
I cast a whole bunch of bullets using Lee stuff and they work just fine, I use the alox a lot also, I think you'll be happy with them. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline johnjohn

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »
All I have are Lee double cavity molds (except for a hollow base single cavity 45/70 mold) and have gotten good results from all of 'em. I probably don't cast as much as a bunch of you maybe that's why they are lasting O.K.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »
Hey Dezynco,

If you use a Quality aluminum blocks, something on the order of an LBT, you will find they are far and away faster and at least as good as the iron blocks such as Lyman or RCBS.

Also, the "Quality" products are made so as to avoid the ware problems typical of the cheaply made aluminum products, steel alignment pins and bushings rather then steel to aluminum.

Light, cast fast and very well for a long time.

I can understand "trying" a bullet from a cheap mold, but as already stated, the LBT mold is the best mold I have ever used and in the long run, worth the bucks!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
I've never had a chance to use any of the LBT's or NEI's.  I'm sure they're great.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
I've used Lyman/Ideal moulds that were older than I am and cast perfect bullets. I have Lee moulds that after 5 years, they cast poor bullets due to misaligned halves. i shoot as cast and use nothing but liquid alox.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
I have a question, What makes the Lee bad? I just got done casting 87 365 gr 50 cal. muzzloader bullets fron Lee. I noticed the bottom of the bullets are not very square, one side is longer than the other and am wondering if it is what is affecting accuracy to some extent. Not that the bullets shoot bad but it seems I get better accuracy out of 44 cal. rem. pistol bullets with sabots. Would this make me loose accuracy? It is only 1/100 of an inch or so but I wonder if it's just a bad mold.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
If the base of the bullet is not square, this can be a very bad thing as per accuracy.

IMHO, the Lee molds are bad because they do not last, period.

Have I personally used Lee molds?  Yes, been there done that!

When you take a steel alinment pin and seat it in/against aluminum, such as with the single or two cavity Lee molds, it tends to wear the softer surface very quickly, which in turn prevents the blocks from closing in the correct position.

Lee 6 cavity molds are a step up in quality, but still nothing like the quality of an LBT mold or the molds of other quality manufactures.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 07:22:22 AM »
Where can I get a .50 cal. mould for muzzleloading bullets? I might go to a bigger bullet than the 365gr Lee mould I have because the 1/28" twist should be more accurate the slower the bullet moves. I don't see much of anything except Lee. I also live 20 mi. from thr plant and can stop in if I want.

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »
Does anyone lknow where I can find an LTB bullet mould for a 50 cal. Encore?

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »
Unless you are trying to find a used one, order them through Veral Smith at LBT.

Go to the post for asking Veral questions and talk to him.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »
 Ihookem, Can't you go to the next Forum & ask Veral about the LBT mold? Midwayusa seems to have a few Lee molds. Fleabay has a few too. I have & have used their 320 grn REAL M-L bullet mold. It worked fine. I mostly moved on to SSTs though.
NRA, Veteran

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
I do not cast tons of bullets, but am getting back into it more since the ammo shortage is seeming to persist. There is a sale on some Lee molds at midway at the moment. I just ordered 3 molds, 2 cavity, a 44 and 2 45's , for a total of $55. A birthday gift that keeps on giving. If I can get 500 rounds out of each one, I will still be money ahead.
remember the starfish

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
to me there two cavity molds are throw away molds. I will only buy them when a six cav isnt available and anymore the only lee bullet i shoot that isnt available in a 6 cav is the 475 400rf. When i ordered them the last time i ordred 4. I get a few casting sessions out of them and toss them. the 6 cav molds arent a bad mold and in fact i prefer them to a steel lyman but they still are realitively fragile and a guy has to be careful with them or you can ruin one in a second. Biggest problem with all the lee molds is the stupidly designed bulllets they put in them. I have probably 30 6 cav lees but very few are in lees designs. Most are group buy molds off the cast bullet forum. Even there people got sick of lees quality control issues and thankfully a few home machinists took up the job of cutting molds for us there. Theres three of them there that i can vouch for that make molds that put anything short of a ballistic cast mold to shame and sell them almost as cheaply as mainstream production molds.
blue lives matter

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
I use several Lee molds.  The problem that I see most have with them, is not keeping them 1.) clean 2.) lubed 3.) they will overheat quickly, more so than steel molds.

I clean mine regularly, add bullet lube often around the hinge and the clamp, and use a candle to "smoke" the mold.

I have Lyman, RCBS, and Lee.  All are good, but for the money the Lee is fine.  As Swampman said, you can buy 5 of them for what one of the others cost.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
Mechanic    Midway sells a mold release in a spray can. You might want to give it a try.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
As a couple of you fellers know I've been having trouble getting bullets to cast. Finally got it going yesterday, and boy was that fun! I have Lee 2 cavity molds; finally figured out that they weren't getting hot enough - the molds themselves. I sprayed them with pam, stuck them right in the burner under the pot, and voila. Cranked out about 50 143gr. 45 Round Balls in about 20 mins - so much fun the kids had to try it, and my wife transferred them from the drop towel to my coffee can a little lube.

My set up is a cast iron pot from Mr. Punch here, wheel weights I melted down into ingots in an old muffin pan, on the side burner on my propane grill. For casting bullets, I put the drop towel on the other side table on my grill, put a cookie sheet over the grill top to set my tools and protect from splashes, and work from one side to the other.

6 cavity mold would be faster, but faster isn't always better when you're having fun!  :D
held fast

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
Be sure and never use anything for eating or food prep after using it for processing lead.

And, you mention "round Balls" and wheel weights.

Most folk say that WW are overly hard for use in a muzzle loader, while everything I hear indicated the use of pure/soft lead for muzzle loader use.

Be safe and enjoy.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
CDOC, you don't wanna try my chili then!  ;D
held fast

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
Stick on lead weights are great for round ball, not the clip kind though. I keep 'em separate and mark the ingots.
held fast