Author Topic: Hunts 50cal load, jackpot  (Read 733 times)

Offline Noreaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hunts 50cal load, jackpot
« on: October 31, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
Put a scope on my Huntsman and switched to sabots. 240 grain xtp 44 cal. sabot loaded with 90 grains of pyrodex. I couldn't believe how this gun shoots. I can shoot 3 or 4 rounds w/o cleaning and they are touching at 50 yds and in the black at 100yds. I usually use 50/50 pellets but wanted to up the load for longer range. I bought a box of 50/30 pellets and tried 120 grains. Shot horrible, all over the place. Backed it down to 90 grains and it's sweet. Funny thing, 90 grains of pyrodex shoots slightly higher (and slightly better group,) than 100 grains of 777. Makes me think more velocity out of pyrodex 90 grains than 777 100 grains.

As far as the scope and sabots for longer range, opening day today and I had three does walk right up to my stand about thirty yards away, coming out of the thick stuff. I couldn't get the cross hairs on them quick enough. The fiber optic iron sights are much quicker for me, maybe need to practise more with the scope.

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Hunts 50cal load, jackpot's nice when it all
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »
Its nice when it all comes together!
Found the honey load for my Sidekick last week after some time, effort and a LITTLE LUCK.

Had been shooting 250 gr TC EZglides over 85 gr of loose 777 with great accuracy.
Even though the accuracy was still there in the field, I was less than impressed on how they performed on game.

So I decided i'd spend some time at the range to find a better alternative.
I'm a real fan of Barnes bullets, so I headed out with some 250 gr MZ's and TMZ's.
I was also hoping to find a load of something more than 85gr without sacrificing accuracy.
But every time I bumped it up to 90 grains the pattern would open up.
Same thing happened when I tried 90 grains and the original TC's, pattern opened up again.

Somewhat frustrated, I decided i'd try one more time and bought some Barnes T-EZ's.
Back to the range and started with 90 gr.  Same thing. Just didn't pattern the way I'd like it to.

Now very frustrated, just for the heck of it I dumped in 100 gr of 777 and let the T-EZ fly.
After the smoke cleared I was pleased with the result.
Well let's try it again and see if it was a fluke or I was on to something here.
At 75 yds, the next 3 shots printed within a 1/2" of each other and blew the center of the target out.
Put it away, good to go, maybe we'll tinker some more next year.

BTW....not sure what kind of scope you have but if it's a variable keep it dialed low for those close shots.
You'll probably have plenty of time to crank it up for the longer ones.
Good luck.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)