Author Topic: Lapping rifled shotgun bore  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Lapping rifled shotgun bore
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »

Has anyone here lapped a 12ga rifled shotgun bore?  I was wondering if it is logical to do so, or does the use of sabot / bullet combo's make it unnecessary or a waste of time.

I figured Veral or the folks that use this forum would know if anyone does.

Thanks for any feedback.

Silvertp

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Lapping rifled shotgun bore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
  Why of coarse it has been done.  Get my lap kit, but send a dollar extra and ask for hand lapping instructions.  You'll have to make a lead lap skag, and will get LOTS of HARD shoulder workout, but it will make the bore very nice, and will improove performance with sabot loads.  For some unknown reason, those who are making rifled shotgun barrels are not delivering what they should.  Lapping will help.

By the way, the lap skag is poured on a rod which is centered in the barrel.  I normally center the rod by winding it with electrical tape till it slip fits, inserting from the breech end till within close to an inch from the muzzle, and pouring the lead in.  Pure lead with a small amount of tin to help castability is the best alloy.  Then the work starts.  The handlap instructions describe everything in detail.
Veral Smith

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:58:58 AM »

Thanks Veral...

You have confirmed my suspicion plus taught me some new information.

I was suspect that the bore quality of many rifled slug barrels would be on the low-end of standards and could benefit from a good lapping process.  Sounds like that is the case.

Good to hear that lapping can improve the performance of sabo / bullet combinations.  I had no idea if the sabo would be sensitive to bore irregularities or not.   

I'll be adding one of your lapping kits and instructions to my Christmas list... ;D

Silvertp

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Veral...need your help Lapping rifled shotgun bore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
Veral...

Well Santa was very good to me this year as I found a 20ga rifled encore barrel under the tree. 

However, Santa did not bring me one of your "lapping kits" and instructional booklet, and I'd like to order them.

I looked in your catalog and didn't find the kit or booklet.  Would you want to send me your phone number so I can order.

Thanks
Ken (Silvertp)

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »
  I'll have to tend to the absent lap kit data promptly!  Thanks for letting me know.
Price is $18.50 for the lap kit which comes with complete and very detailed instructions.  Shipping will be $6 for just that by itself or with my book  Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets, if you were speaking of that also.  Book price is $25
Veral Smith