Author Topic: Any tips for attracting does?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Any tips for attracting does?
« on: November 02, 2009, 02:05:35 AM »
I've got an anterless permit for the archery season and I need some tips on attracting does.  Most everything I read about deer is about getting "monster" bucks to walk by your treestand but I haven't found much about does.  I had the same type of permit last year and the only thing to walk by were bucks, 3 different ones on the same day, but no does came by within range.  Ideas?

Thanks!

Offline ttank0789

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Any tips for attracting does?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:12:10 AM »
Tink's makes a scent that is just straight up doe urine, not estrous urine. Its called #1 Doe-P. It's supposed to work all season and attract both bucks and does. I haven't tried it but it's worth a shot. (no pun intended)8)

http://www.tinks69.com/
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »
 Setup where the deer naturally want to be & go.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
Setup where the deer naturally want to be & go.

If that's not a "DUH" moment I don't know what is. If you are depending on "bringing deer to you" rather than you going to them then friend you are in for a long dry season. Ya best find where they wanna be and set up there. I've been hunting them for close to 35 years I reckon and while lotsa folks have killed more than me I'm sure I've never depending on bringing them to me with some attractant. I scout and figure where they are gonna be anyway and then figure out where to be to ambush them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:10:08 AM »
I'm set up between a couple of trails that I know the deer follow, I was just looking for any tips for bringing them closer for a shot with my recurve.  Thanks.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:51:29 AM »
The only thing I've ever seen actually work to bring a deer closer is a grunt call. I've had great success with them IF I see or hear the deer but have NEVER brought one in thru blind calling when a deer was not seen or heard but just out of sight.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:10:03 AM »
If you can bait then corn works well , peanut works also . If you can't bait then plant turnips or such that comes up this time of the year .
Next would be food scents like apple , acorn or such .
Like they already said is be where they want to be is best but many don't have that option with posted land laws etc so the need to draw becomes more critical.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:11:07 AM »
If you are seeing does on either of the two trails you are set up between, look for a place where you can move closer to the most-used trail.  I adjust my stands many times during the season depending on just how close I want to get to a given trail.  Warning: like last night for me, sometimes I can wind up too close.  I also want to take another doe or two, and last night was to be a doe night.  However, I had moved a climbing stick and hang-on stand to take advantage of some traffic out of a swamp and toward a standing corn field.  I purposely stayed away from that stand for about 10 days to let it cool down from changing locations.  Imagine my surprise last night when the traffic had changed from the trial I had hopped the does would be on to one right beside me.  I had 9 does and one squirrely spike trying to be a forky all around me and under me, but I couldn't move or blink an eye, let alone pull my bow back.  Result: too close, no deer.

Consider moving closer to the trail being used.  Have fun!!

Arch

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:47 AM »
Set-up slightly off the local food source. I have had luck using a doe-in-heat type bleat call to attract does. Don't roll it all the way over to make a short bleat. Also attracts button bucks, make sure you don't shoot the wrong baldie.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline pigguy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:49:26 PM »
I put out golden estrus scent waffers for drawing in a good buck.Last year I killed 3 does standing within a yard of the wafer.And last saturday I shot a 78 lb doe with my muzzelloader that stopped about 3 yds from the waffer.Maybe it was just a coincindence?

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
I use this in a little squeeze bottle, not this big jug.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=319366
Never tried to divert them. Just set up for archery to try and get them to stop and smell. I don't know if it lured them in since I hunt on their trails. But have shot a bunch who had to stop and sniff. I just put a little on the side of a tree so they can't see me draw. Never had one not stop and smell whether I shot or not.

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
Also, where I live bucks and does usually don't travel the same trails until rut. Then the doe is being chased and not going to slow down for your recurve shot. Try a little more open trail on the beaten path. Here the bucks usually choose the out of the way trails or send the ladies out first and stay a few minutes back about 30 yards down wind of the doe trail.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:55:26 PM »
I have heard that Vanilla Extract will present a curious deer/doe with a sweet scent to investigate.  I don't know if that is sound or logical from personal experience.  Just passing along an idea...

Offline CharlieT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 02:32:07 AM »
Land_Owner beat me to my sugestion Vanilla extract. If you have does passing through but you want to put them into your shotting lane the vanilla will put them there.
1 Kings 20:11 .The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.' "

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 02:39:18 AM »
musk and annoise (sp) work also .

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:27 AM »
I believe anise is the spelling you're looking for.

I've tried lots of these scents folks say are supposed to work. I'm not saying they don't BUT what I am saying is that on the days I had such scents out I've seen a total of ZERO deer. Nada not a single deer has ever been sighted on a day I used those smelly contoctions.

I'll take no scent over any scent every time thank you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 03:31:43 AM »
Yep thanks for the spelling help , much better than those that seem to want to talk down to folks . I use scent alot to draw deer from places we can't hunt either due to posted land or where shooting would be a danger . Tink's 69 bomb and buck bombs work about half the time or less. I think there is a very small window of time for each buck that they will work in . If you hit that window its the greatest thing since sliced bread if you miss by a day its a waste of money. Also a deer must be in the area of the scent . Other scent products are hit and miss also , I put scent on my boots and have had a doe follow me out of the woods into a field once . She had her head down tracking me like a dog would . Yep it was doe season and my dad hollared to turn around and look , i shot it .
Then also i believe some deer just don't react to scent at all while others run from it . You just never know , but its worth a chance if nothing else is working .