Author Topic: Synthetic forearm ?  (Read 654 times)

Offline 8D3

• Trade Count: (0)
Synthetic forearm ?
« on: November 02, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
I read thru the facts and found the thread on floating the barrel with a bushing instead of the o-ring or neoprene washer(tried the washer trick today and still no clearance).My question is about the area of the forearm that contacts the frame.Mine seems awfully tight where the 2 "ears" contact the top of the frame.Can that be relieved without messing up something?I will pick up a nylon bushing tomorrow,I tried an aluminum bushing I stole from an r/c airplane,was a little thick and I fear the aluminum will cut into the forearm and not be consistent.But it did show promise of givingme some gap,just looks like that back part needs relief?

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: Synthetic forearm ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »
I took my Dremel and did some CAREFULL grinding on mine. When open it is a lot more sloppier than I was going for. Still locks up tight when closed. If you do it be careful. Let some others weigh in on this but it has come up before and some result in it flopping around. Mines a 223 Superlight and it shoots pretty good. Good Luck

Offline 8D3

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »
This my daughters first gun and Im not sure its consistent enough for her to hunt with.It has become an obsession since I shot it yesterday to get more out of it,lol.I see why so many like them,kind of fun playing around with them.Speaking of sloppy,WalMart has a new one and It was very sloppy when opened,maybe they are on to something?????

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
How does it shoot with the forend off? What caliber?

Offline 8D3

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
.243 and I havent tried it without the forearm.I shot it yesterday.It may not be as bad as I think.After I got it on the paper @ 100yds,If I really relaxed and made sure I squeezed and not jerked,I actually had a couple shots touching each other then I would get the flyer,seemed to be low/right everytime.May have been hot and the trigger was whooping me to combine for some eradict shooting.I have honed the trigger somewhat,but not too much,since my 9yr old is going to use it,too light may be worse than a little stiff for her.Anyway,I can feel the forearm is bound up when I put it on,even without the screw in it,I can open/close the barrel and it stays on.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
I think I just lost a reply to you. If it's a Superlight two or three touching may be your best as the barrel warms up.
Quick Tim will help you out.

Offline 8D3

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »
Did some more shooting today with it.Cleaned barrel and fired a few shots,not bad or great.Cleaned again and started out way high,made minor adjustment on scope and got back within 1-2" of center.It then started the 2 over here and 1 over there stuff,so i removed the forearm and it went back to shooting high,but grouped right at 1".I have relieved the hinge area of the forearm some so I put the screw back in the forearm and just snugged it.End result was me shooting a nice 1" or so 2 shot group before letting the real owner take over.My 9yr old daughter made 2 totally unassisted "kill" shots on one of those cardboard deer targets.These were her first shots on something besides the 10/22 ;D.Bring on the youth hunt this weekend.After she is done,I want to work on this thing some more,it is addicting.BTW,we shot both the Winchester 100gr super x and the Academy Sports Monarch stuff today,sometimes within the same group.Couldnt tell any difference.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »
Sounds like some fun times ahead.  Goodluck on the hunt!  Be sure to share some pictures and a story if all goes well.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline carp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 05:44:36 AM »
I have relieved the hinge area of the forearm some so I put the screw back in the forearm and just snugged it.   

What's the best way to relieve it?

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
Stop cleaning it or the bullet may stop spinning. ;D  Shoot it a few times, sight to where it's hitting and go kill stuff. ;)

Offline 8D3

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
I actually used a sharp pocket knife and whittled it a little at a time and then lightly sanded it.I couldnt find my sanding drums for my dremel,typical around here ::)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:39:03 PM »
 I have not needed to do this yet, but just a suggestion. Instead of a POCKET KNIFE, take a piece of fine sandpaper and roll it around something to give you approximate size of the piece you are sanding. It should be a lot more even than a pocket knife ;)

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 03:55:18 AM »
I bought a ¼" drive 1" sanding drum which measures 1.1" which just happens to be the same size as the front of the frame, chuck it in a my drill press and shorten the forend just enough to fit good, works well on the new style syn forend since it has flat sides that aren't tapered like the old style.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain