Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 770 times)

Offline ttank0789

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Interesting
« on: November 04, 2009, 05:20:56 AM »
At about 8:30 this morning I had a small buck walk in and he was hobbling so I figured he was hurt and was gonna take a shot if he gave me one. But as he was walking by I realized that his back right leg was missing. I was on his left side so I couldn't see exactly what he had going on, but there was definitely no leg sticking out below his belly line. His left antler was also broken off between the brow tine and G2. I thought that may be due to fighting but a 3 legged deer probably wouldn't do too well in a fight. Anyways, while I was watching him I heard deer coming in from my other side and he took off. I thought it was a more dominant buck running him off but it turned out to be a few does. I couldn't quite figure out why he would run away from a doe, especially this time of year. Any thoughts?
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »
Sounds like he got hit by a car about a month ago, Broke his hind leg below the hip, and it rotted off due to lack of blood flow. That would also explain the broken tine.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
My friend and Uncle more or less suggested the same thing. I hope I see him again or get a trail cam pic of him so I can see what his leg looks like. I'm still a confused about why he would run from a couple does unless it's because they laugh at him and call him tripod :D
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
My friend and Uncle more or less suggested the same thing. I hope I see him again or get a trail cam pic of him so I can see what his leg looks like. I'm still a confused about why he would run from a couple does unless it's because they laugh at him and call him tripod :D

I think the poor bassturd runs from any noise he is not familiar with. You would be doing him a favor by finishing him . I would put him out of his misery, to tag him would be up to you. Another moral question, you have to stop that ttank!

Offline BUCKDUSTER

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »
i shot a 3 legged 5 pt this year. it looked like he got hit by a car too, and possible while his horns where in velvet. his antlers where all crooked and bent, and kinda stunted.  he had a ton of mass for his oddly shapped antlers.  i shot him because he was limping real bad too.  i figured he may have been shot poorly, but the injury was healed

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:18 PM »
Last Sunday (8th) my friend shot a nice 9 point that we think had been hit by a car. Its right front leg was all jacked up. The knee or elbow or whatever you wanna call it was the size and shape of a baseball, was oozing pus, and didn't bend. Most likely healed from a break and set. And the shoulder had barely any range to it. It also was missing its left g4 which is why it wasn't a 10 point. The antler break was pretty worn and the leg was as healed as it was gonna get so we think it got hit a while ago.

I haven't seen ol' tripod again so I'm not sure what's going on with him. You can only kill one buck in Ohio so if I haven't got one and he shows up and presents a shot I'm probably gonna shoot him so that he's not suffering anymore.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-