Author Topic: The best close range-woods deer bullet?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline doeroller

• Trade Count: (0)
The best close range-woods deer bullet?
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
  I have had the pleasure to shoot alot of deer with many different calibers. From high speed 22-250s, 257 Weatherbys, and 7STWs, to 35 Remingtons, 358 Normas, 375 H&Hs, 45-70s and all the 30 caliber offerings. I have found that the bullet that kills the best (quickest) is a moderate velocity(2400-2900fps)middle to heavy for caliber bullet. Standard cup and core bullets seem to be more effective than slower expanding premium type bullets. I have been doing some research on Hawk bullets and am impressed. Hawk bullets seem to be the cat's meow for moderate range. They are relatively soft so they expand and they don't blow apart. Does anyone have any field experience with Hawks. I am thinking of using some for hunting in the timber and close range cutover. I want a big wound channel and an exit so as to have a good SHORT blood trail.

Offline RaySendero

Re: The best close range-woods deer bullet?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
  I have had the pleasure to shoot alot of deer with many different calibers. From high speed 22-250s, 257 Weatherbys, and 7STWs, to 35 Remingtons, 358 Normas, 375 H&Hs, 45-70s and all the 30 caliber offerings. I have found that the bullet that kills the best (quickest) is a moderate velocity(2400-2900fps)middle to heavy for caliber bullet. Standard cup and core bullets seem to be more effective than slower expanding premium type bullets. I have been doing some research on Hawk bullets and am impressed. Hawk bullets seem to be the cat's meow for moderate range. They are relatively soft so they expand and they don't blow apart. Does anyone have any field experience with Hawks. I am thinking of using some for hunting in the timber and close range cutover. I want a big wound channel and an exit so as to have a good SHORT blood trail.

Good point - I haven't put much thought into it before, But would have to say my best close range-woods deer bullet would be the 174 round nose .312" Hornady Interlock from my 7.7x58!
    Ray

Offline Mt_Sourdough

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I use an open-sighted Marlin 444 and dont feel a need to try anything else.  It works for what you described and with AUTHORITY!
Gotta git'me a bigger ice box

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
One of my favorite writers on guns and hunting is Francis E. Sell.  Google his name and you will find that his books can be bought at very cheap prices, well worth the money.

In Advance Hunting on Deer and Elk Trails, Stackpole, 1954 Sell wrote, "Put a man in the game fields over a period of ten autumns, let him take his elk and deer as they come, and usually two things occur.  He turns to ammunition having velocities around 2200 to 2600, dropping down to these from those ultra high 3000 feet per second stuff.  And he usually goes to maximum bullet weight in his elk or deer rifle -- power within reason." (p. 124)

I agree with old Francis and doeroller on this point.  This year I fired at uncharacteristically long ranges (for me) of around 200 yards to take an antelope and a mule deer with 140 gr. 6.5X55 factory ammo at MV a little less than 2600 fps.  For elk I used a handload 160 gr. RN at just under 2400.  Range on the elk was about 30 yards.  In all three cases no tracking was needed.  Cup and core gets the job done when velocities are moderate and shots are place properly.
Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:27:05 PM »
Never had anything work any better than a 180 grain core loct round nose from a factory Remington load in .30-06. Others might work as well but I've yet so see anything more effective.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
I would think the 45-70 would be usable. 30-30 170 might work also.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
On most game the Remington Core-Lokt can't be beat.  Going to 180s in my .30-06 on the next box I buy.  I've been using 165s.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Halwg

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »
Never had anything work any better than a 180 grain core loct round nose from a factory Remington load in .30-06. Others might work as well but I've yet so see anything more effective.

When I was a kid, my dad had friend who owned a farm where we hunted.  This guy was about the age of my grandfather.  He hunted with a Remington 760 pump in 30-06 and the only thing he shot out of it was 180 gr Remington Core-lokt round nose bullets.  he swore by them.  

I've never used them in my 30-06, deciding instead to use 165 gr Ballistic tips.  But I bet he was right.

Today I like bigger, slower bullets like 270 gr 444s, and 220 gr 35 Remingtons.  They work in the woods where I hunt.
The older I get...The better I was.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
420 gr flat nosed 45-70 at 1700 fps.  Never tracked anything.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
There are so many good deer bullets. Best is hard to say when I have had excellent results with many bullets. For my 30-06 I would say Speer's 180 grain Mag Tip, this for taking all shots and angles. I might even load it down to 2500 fps.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Grizz66

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 12:28:39 AM »
I have 2 45-70's that I like to use when shots are close and cover is thick, both are short barrel one Marlin Guide gun the other a T/C encore with a 18". Nice an short to make life easy when going through woods. Bullets they like are Marlin horn. 350 rn, T/C 300 horn hp. The marlin wears a reddot sight, encore low power scope. If you want something with a little less kick check out 35rem and the old 30/30 very handy for those situations also. Just my 2cents.

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »
My Winchester 94AE with 170 gr. coreloks. I've nailed deer with that load. All deer went down DRT. in close range. Only one, tried to get up and just went right back down. ;D It's hard to beat the ole 30-30.
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline jro45

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:29:56 AM »
When I shoot a deer it usually is at least 100 yds. I never shot one close up.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 05:53:16 AM »
+1 on what WyoStillhunter said. My favorite writer is also Francis Sell. His writings at least to me are chock full of common sense based on experience. I use a 350 Mag for all of my hunting. I've thus far taken deer with the 220 gr Speer FP bullet with a MV averaging 2,560 fps. I couldn't be more pleased with this set up. Though I've only had 1 bang-flop, the deer do not go far and leave a massive blood trail. Even at this sedate velocity, the Speer ballistics table indicate that this is not just a short range loading.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
I vote for 12 guage slug.  Trajectory might not be great...but you can't beat the knock down power.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
  I never have any problems using one bullet for everything.  In fact, i make a point of it, so as to learn what the load/bullet will do.  I pick the load/bullet for the biggest animal i will hunt, and then use a bullet that will work for that animal and everything else smaller than that too.

This is exactly why i use NP's, as they have a soft nose to work perfectly on smaller animals, and the rest of the bullet will hold together and drive deep in the biggest animals...  That's what makes them the bullet for all occasions.

DM

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
Too expensive for most game.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
  Guess you will have to sell one of those extra guns you bought, to afford some good bullets.  Heck, you don't need it anyway, as you keep telling us over and over that all any of use need is a 30-06, just like your's. HA HA HA

DM

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »
And a box of Core-Lokts.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 02:59:42 AM »
I tested a very good bullet for close range deer yesterday. The deer were not moving in the daytime much and it was time to get a doe for the freezer before we went home. I knew where deer bedded so I walked quietly in there till 3 jumped up, a small buck and two does. The one I shot went to my left bounding. On the second bound in the 3 foot tall oak brush I smacked her in the spine dropping her on the spot. Lost a bit of backstrap but it wasn't that easy of a shot. I was using the 150 grain Speer Hotcor going near 2800 fps from my 308. The range was around 50 feet and the wound was 5-6 inches across all the way thru with a 4 inch exit hole.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
For close range deer getting, it's hard to beat the ole 30/30 and 170gr bullets.

HWD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
Federal 120 gr loaded with a Nosler FP for the 7X30 waters ( The factory load ). Most deer drop dead at the shot a couple went less than 20 yards but they were running full speed when i shot them .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline GradyL41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
200 gr Remington 358 PSPCL  in my .358 -- or a 255 LWNGC in my.41 mag- and a friend 30-30 150 remington Cl

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »
I love those types of questions. Like which is the best car or best boat etc. I can answer with "Depends on"

In random order:
What caliber, what velocity, what bullet weight and style. Are you a neck shooter or  a chest shot shooter. You want full penetration or a granade type explosion inside the animal.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline doeroller

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 03:45:25 AM »
 This want be necessarily short range but I have "field tested" the 325gr 45 cal FTX amd the 200gr 35 cal FTX and can say wow. The 45 cal was loaded in a Win 1885 45-70 with a very stiff charge of H-4198. I shot 2 doe this weekend. One through both shoulders. Bullet broke both shoulder blades as well as the spine. Full penetration with a 1.5" exit. The other deer took the bullet quartering to. Broke shoulder blade on entrance and exited right behind shoulder on exit. Exit hole 2".
  The 35 cal was loaded to 3150fps in a 358 Norma. Quartering to on the point of the shoulder shot resulted in no exit. Bullet lost in intestines. Good penetration. Second deer with 35 cal was broadside through one shoulder and out center of ribs on off side. Large exit hole close to 3". These FTX bullets appear to be softer than their standard soft point counterpoints but at the same time are tough enough to penetrate plenty good for deer size game. If you worry about meat loss, this is not the type bullet for you at increased velocity.

Offline jro45

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:02 AM »
I would use my 30/06 shooting Hornady 150 gr. they go 2998 fps. That would be a good close up shot. I used this load on a deer at 150 yds and it just droped over dead

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »
on second thought , 000 buck when up close .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 02:12:28 AM »
.715 roundball out of my 12 bore rifle with 7 drams Fg behind it.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 07:02:27 AM »
If you're asking "which bullet will be least deflected by brush", that has long been debated but testing has pretty conclusively proved it won't be one of the classic "brush busters" of days gone by, they are actually the worst. The stability of a bullet after hitting a twig depends on how stable it was before hitting the twig.
 The old "slow and heavy" school of thought is totally out to lunch on that one. It has been proved that, so long as the bullet holds together, the least deflection comes from a short bullet fired at high velocity from a fast twist barrel, simply because it has superior gyroscopic stability.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline shot1

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:13 AM »
I have killed wayyy over 200 deer in my life and have killed them with everything from a bow and arrow through a 45-70 Sharps. I am here to tell you it is not what you shoot them with it is where you shoot them. If you place a bullet from a 22LR in a deers ear or through it's eye it is dead on the spot. If you shoot one through the gut with a 458 win mag you may never find it because it will run so far before it dies. The caliber that I have had best luck of putting deer down in their tracks from right on top of you to over 500 yards is a 25-06 shooting a 117 gr Sierra Pro Hunter at 3100 fps. If you shoot a deer through the front shoulders with about any suitable firearm most of the time they will drop on the spot.