Author Topic: SEACOAST ARTILLERY COMPANY'S SEVENTH CONTEST, Have fun!  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: SEACOAST ARTILLERY COMPANY'S SEVENTH CONTEST, Have fun!
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 06:17:35 AM »
SWAG, Number 6 8 inch SBML Woolrich Arsenal were the gun was made and Fort  Ticonderoga where it is.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 07:56:40 AM »
Wouldn't the correct location for Nos. 8 & 9 be Vallejo, CA, Waterfront Park?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:46 AM »
     Double D,   It was nice of you to mention that the prop in No.9 was from the second Nipsic.  GGaskill already nailed the question on No.9 about the big gun onboard, an 8" Parrott Rifle and received full credit.

On the difficult No. 8, however you earned a solid one-half credit by identifying both guns.  The 24 pdr. was not easy, I bet.  a convoluted hint as to which direction to go from Mare Island is here:

In 1865 Horace Greeley, that larger-than-life, newspaperman, exhorted the youth of this young nation to go in a certain direction to open up new lands for development and for building a new life.  You must go at short distance in the opposite direction to find the town where these guns now reside.  Although Horace 'borrowed' this quote from J.B.L. Soule, who knows that or him anymore.

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:19 AM »
    Double D,   It was nice of you to mention that the prop in No.9 was from the second Nipsic.  GGaskill already nailed the question on No.9 about the big gun onboard, an 8" Parrott Rifle and received full credit.

On the difficult No. 8, however you earned a solid one-half credit by identifying both guns.  The 24 pdr. was not easy, I bet.  a convoluted hint as to which direction to go from Mare Island is here:

In 1865 Horace Greeley, that larger-than-life, newspaperman, exhorted the youth of this young nation to go in a certain direction to open up new lands for development and for building a new life.  You must go at short distance in the opposite direction to find the town where these guns now reside.  Although Horace 'borrowed' this quote from J.B.L. Soule, who knows that or him anymore.

T&M

so the guns are realllu in Vallejo/

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »
     YES,  Boom J. has the location on No.8 and 1/2 credit goes to him and 1/2 to DD.  Vallejo, California was a Navy town, from it's parks to it's close proximity to the HUGE Mare Island Shipyard and all those jobs which were once there.  The park's guns and prop are a little hard to find, but we noticed some type of sculpture and figured correctly that the park was there.  It was, and the guns and prop were there too.

DD, yes the guns are in the Waterfront Park in Vallejo.  Bye the way, did you mean to put the following with No. 6 or perhaps, No. 5?

SWAG, Number 6 8 inch SBML Woolrich Arsenal were the gun was made and Fort  Ticonderoga where it is.

Please don't confuse me, DD, I am enough that way without your help!  Let us know, thanks.

T&M

Offline Double D

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 09:05:33 AM »
Yes I meant ot put Ticondaroga after you didn't respond when I said Fort Niagara

Offline Double D

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
Yes number five! now I'm confused!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
     O.K. Double D, we are both talking about No.5.  Good, you have the type and founder for 1/2 credit, but you are location challenged.

A subtle hint is this:  This fort is  a very large masonry fort, surrounded by water, and, in the 1840s, 50s and 60s one of the primary ordnance testing facilities for the U.S. Army.  Look at the pic below; where is that captured British Mortar located??

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 02:13:06 PM »
No.5 - Location: Fort Monroe, Virginia.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »
     Boom J.  You are too good at this and you just ruined a completely convoluted clue I just worked out.  No.5 credits are divided equally to Double D and Boom J. on No. 5.

Does anybody besides me think this is a worthy clue for the name of the fort in No. 5?

The perfectly crafted, meticulously researched, superlative clue:

If you determine the name of the Mayor of New Orleans when the Union occupying force commander, General Benjamin Butler, called by the citizenry, variously, "Beast Butler", "Spoons Butler", etc. after issuing his infamous General Order No. 28 which impugned the virtue of any female residing in the city who publicly disrespected Union troops, you will have the name of this famous fort.

Ah well, such complaints are simply much to do about nothing.

T&M

Offline Double D

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
Thank you Boomj!!! I have looked at forts all over New England and was getting very frustrated....

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
     It looks like we are going to wrap this one up in record time.  Right now we have a tie between the two leaders at 3.5 credits each for Double D and Boom J. and a very complete answer and full credit on No.9 by GGaskill.  Only No.3 remains and, if you read the caption carefully, you will know where this casemate gun is located.  No more hints TODAY on this one!  Just remember some of the things your fellow members have written in various posts over the past month.

T&M

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
This is the first real chance I have had to look at this contest,  I was looking/Fondling that very mortar three weekends ago, and then as I get to the end there is a great photo of one

of my favorite forts that's so close by! Sorry I missed this one looks like it's been fun.I have to get over there when I can and see if they will give me access to one of the

displays - there is a bronze breech loader on the wall in the display need to get some photos, and measurements.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
     It looks like we are going to wrap this one up in record time.  Right now we have a tie between the two leaders at 3.5 credits each for Double D and Boom J. and a very complete answer and full credit on No.9 by GGaskill.  Only No.3 remains and, if you read the caption carefully, you will know where this casemate gun is located.  No more hints TODAY on this one!  Just remember some of the things your fellow members have written in various posts over the past month.

T&M

Actually I think you have scored #9 wrong.  The piscture shows the prop of Nipsic #2.  Then you ask a question about the armament of the Nipsic.  You don't say Armanment of the propeller Nipsic or Nipsic #1.  George gave you two right answers and covered both of your bases...George should score 2.

Offline Double D

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »
No 3 Fort Pulaski 8inch Confederate Columbiad

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »

T&M

Actually I think you have scored #9 wrong.  The piscture shows the prop of Nipsic #2.  Then you ask a question about the armament of the Nipsic.  You don't say Armanment of the propeller Nipsic or Nipsic #1.  George gave you two right answers and covered both of your bases...George should score 2.

DD went you are right ,you are right ! It scares me a ting as I understood your last post with 'poetic overtones' .

We are taking some serious , well out of sheer modesty I wont say the G word ...but really .

"The pisctureshows the prop ..." , and not to be out done we have " ...you dont say Armanment of the .."

You are showing promise Doug ,good work .

That scores AT least a three !!!! and thats very good . ;D (i awarded you a smiley)  . Three because because of the cleaverly misspelled words pisctureshows and Armanment ....PLUS A BONUS POINT !

Oh snap ! :D     a useless use of a CaPitOl for no good reason at all ......well not inside the "canonization" of the ...english we know  ;D BUJT THATS good DD ,everyone gets it ,it's easier to say/write and besides spelling is way overrated . at least the anal obssesion some people have over it .

(southpark) Some times late at night ....if I meet an anal speller .....you guys ..., I ....I ...well "rambochett his noot sack" (southpark). (I think Noot is Danish for knee ,i'm still tring to pick up this Danish language) .

I'm waiting for the next southpark ....sorry . ;)  

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
If one of my post did not contain misspellings and typo's then you should suspect a counterfiet Douglas! 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »
 ;)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2009, 06:39:24 PM »
      Double D,   As I see it, you have provided a four-part answer to No.3.  The correctness of each can be seen below. However, because just two parts are required by the contest rules, we will ignore two parts and will give you credit for your correct answers, if any to the required elements only.

DD answer;

Fort Pulaski.........required element, but wrong; don't forget the state in which the fort lies once you figure out which fort is shown.

8 inch.................not required and wrong.

Confederate.........not required and wrong.

Columbiad............required element and correct for 1/2 credit.

DD has 1/2 of No.3 nailed.  It takes guts to attempt these contests and DD has what it takes.  Thanks DD.

GGaskill has one full credit for his excellent answer on No.9  There will be no changes there.  Thank you George for all the extra information that you provided.

T&M

P.S.  What the other guy from Colorado said, I have No Clue.

Offline Double D

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
New Columbiad, no chamber and in GA

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
     Sorry DD, no and no.  You have credit for the general type, don't try to improve on it.  The 1857 New Columbiad looks more like the 1844 Columbiad than any of the Rodman guns.

As for the State, only provide this answer after you get the correct fort established.  Good night.

T&M

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
Damn Tracy i'm seeing an evil task master at work ,in the making.

Gary

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
"Second, you answer should include the location of the cannon.  The nearest city or town and state is the minimum location.  The name of the Fort, Park, Cemetery, Courthouse, Beach, Road, etc. is really nice to include, but not required."

The above is from the rules stated at the beginning of the thread.  Now I had no idea where those parts and guns were, and only because the material in the links mentioned the general area would I even remotely claim to have provided location.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »
"These big guns can be loaded with …..Canister too!!!!    Oh, ouch!  One of those could mess up your Naval Landing Party assault."

DD I think the clue is that it could use anti-personal rounds to mess up your naval landing party........
Which fort was attacked by one?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:29 AM »
I'm not realy sure what is being look for in number three.  The gun is a Columbiad at Fort Pulaski , GA on the Savannah River downstream from  Savannah GA.

Columbiads firing cannister were used during the Federal amphibious assault on January 15, 1865 Fort Fisher NC .  Fort Fisher guarded the Harbor at Wilmington, NC

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 03:52:20 AM »
     Some clues as to which fort is shown in No.3.  This fort was never bombarded by Quincy Gilmore's Federal artillerymen from Tybee Island on the Savannah River.

Good luck.

T&M

The Sallyport of this fort is in the Seaface Curtain Wall,  (i.e., the FRONT of the fort), a very, very unusual feature, rarely found in  Third System forts.

Mike stands in the Sallyport entrance and you can see what lies in front of this masonry fort.

Offline Double D

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 05:32:19 AM »
Fort Jackson, Savannah GA

Offline Double D

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:20 AM »
Fort Jackson, Savannah GA

That can't be right, that  is a 2nd system fort upgraded during the third system era.  Boomj where are you?  Stick a knife in this!  Everyone is having to much fun watching me twist in the wind!!  :P        :)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 06:08:53 AM »
     We saw a few of these signs while traveling through this state on the way to this fort pictured in No.3.  Oh, bye the way; it ain't Georgia!  The last clue, this is.

T&M

Offline Double D

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
Uncle!!!!!!