Author Topic: 35 whelen failure to fire  (Read 695 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
35 whelen failure to fire
« on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
MJB or Stumpy or anyone.
  I had posted on the nef/handi forum about the 35 ftf issues. If you read that you will know my problem.
  I just completed a rebarrel on a Savage 110, and replaced the 06 with a 35 whelen. After checking headspace etc., the gun would not fire.This was with factory Rem ammo. I replaced the firing pin spring  with a longer one, and it worked fine with the factory ammo.
  Well, after running some 06 brass thru the 35 w die, I made and reloaded some nice 35 ammo. ::) Yesterday, and today at the range, I had 30% ftf. To be exact 6 of the 20 cartridges ftf. All Rem ammo functioned without a problem.
  What have I done wrong? All primers appear to be flush. I am using ww lr primers. Is there a problem with resize, shoulder angle or what.
  I am going to reload the factory brass with the same recipe as the homade brass, and give them a try.
  By the way MJB, I took the 5 yr old grandson out with me again today. His Dad and I have determined that he is still a little small, and too many things distract him too much. I guess it is just Grandpaw wanting to see him take his first deer. I said a couple of years ago that I wanted to live long enough to see him catch his first fish. Well, thats a done deal and now I have added the deer to that longing.
  After he takes his first deer, I will ask for the 3 yr old grandaughter to take her first deer. I am not certain of any longivity of life, but I'm certain that I will find something else to long for after these things take place. I am a blessed man.
  Give me some feedback on the resized 06 to 35w brass.
                    Thanks guys
                                         Jim

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: 35 whelen failure to fire
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »
Did you fire it as a 30-06 Springfield?

Either way, I think it’s a headspacing problem.

What did you use to set the headspace?

Your problem cannot be related to any Handi rifle issue.

yooper77

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:12:20 AM »
Yooper
   The headspace is perfect I used a refired, resized case. a set of go, no go, and also put a piece of scotch tape behind the go gage. With the tape on the go gage she would not lock up. So the headspace is perfect. I feel that a have a flaw in the brass that I am forming from the 30 06 brass.
  I only shot it as a 35 whelen. Not 30 06.
  After I reload the 35 w brass, I will shoot it to see if I can isolate the reformed brass from the factory.
  Thanks for the reply
                               Jim

Offline JJ Kelly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:29:17 AM »
A friend a mine, (who is a gunsmith), had the same problem with
his 35 whelen with remington ammo. Headspace was right, chamber
cut right, he did same thing with firing pin, problem is with the
headspace. Remington has the same problem with there 7.62x39mm
ammo not being right. So use other factory ammo that works or
when you reload do what I do for the 9.3x62mm. Expand case in
rcbs .30 to.40 expanding die, use form and trim die turning it down slow
until your case finally chambers in your rifle, set your diesto match
that case. Full sizing die, blacken neck and shoulder of case, turn die down
until it just touches shoulder, your good. good luck.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »
Still a headspace problem, something is a miss from factory ammo and your reloads.

I hand load for my Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 338-06 A-Square and I have to make sure my re-formed 30-06 Springfield brass isn’t sized down too far otherwise it will not fire.

I will bet if you soft seat your bullets with a starting load then your case will fire form properly for your chamber.

yooper77

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
Jim

Yep , its a headspace problem , I ran into this making 25/06 case's from 30/06 and 270 brass .

Whats happening is that your cases are off just enough at the shoulder that when you try to fire , the pin is pushing the round forwards just a couple thou. and causing the firing pin to not make proper contact with the primer .

You will probable not see this by just putting a shell in the chamber but the action of the firing pin coming forward will push it .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »
Stimpy
     If I take the ones that did fire and run them thru the die, will this change anything?
     How do I accept the fact that all the Rem rounds fired.
     The headspace, according to the go gage, works perfect. I even put a piece of scoth tape on the rear end of the gage and the bolt would not close.
     Do you think I should try to adjust it a little more?
     I just finished loading 10 rounds of the factory brass to try when I get the chance. I am expecting all of them to fire.
     What you stated certainly makes sense, I just don't know which to try next.
     This was my first Savage rebarrel and I really do like that 35w.
     I'm still waiting for Rem to fit my Handi with the 35w. Maybe next year. ::) ::)
     Thanks for the reply
                                   Jim

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 02:45:09 PM »
After making that last post, it is really not all that important that I have to use that 06 brass for the 35. I just happen to have a good supply of it and that was just a thought. I might stop messing with it if the factory reloads work out ok.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »
If your primer has a lite strike ( lite dig in it ) it is head space. It can be cured by seating the bullet into the lands. I would reduce the powder charge by at least 2 grs. before doing it, but that will form your brass to the corect lenth.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »
Stimpy  you and catfish were exactly right. Quiet a few of the reloads worked. The problem was as both of you described. I eleminated the problem. I don't resize the 06 six to 35w anymore. I just use the reloaded factory ammo. NO PROBLEM. I like this thing. Shoots good also. It likes to talk to you after 15 or 20rounds. ;D Thanks for the reply guys

Jim