Author Topic: Cut Bank Cannoneer Convention 2010  (Read 7447 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cut Bank Cannoneer Convention 2010
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »
Come to the cannon yard sale and see...it's still months away.  I guess that means, I don't know!

Oh, a cannon yard sale.... Does this mean you can get "More Bang for your Buck" ??  ;D  ;D  ;D
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
I thought Cut Bank was just an inside joke-like some made-up name for a place that really doesn't exist, but yesterday I found out there really IS such a place and DD DOES actually LIVE there!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
I thought Cut Bank was just an inside joke-like some made-up name for a place that really doesn't exist, but yesterday I found out there really IS such a place and DD DOES actually LIVE there!

I kinda thought the same thing, until someone posted this photo on another forum I use.... I know, where's the cannons?

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2009, 03:34:58 PM »
Somebody said DD moved to Cut Bank to escape the dreaded curse of Global Warming.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »
The Mini tour stopped for beer an pizza...they make one heck of a good pizza at Charlie's!!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
Gotta love your town mascot.....a penguin!  ;D
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »
August 2010 ! I'll be there ..... ! If Tracy can drag my stuff up there . ;D

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Just put a hitch on the bumblebee and tow it yourself.    ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2009, 02:10:29 PM »
Sorry George High Speed Low Drag ......I dont "do" trailers . Hows that for some west coast lingo .

As in "lets "DO" Lunch" .

40 Miles per Gal. at 85 MPH + is really kinda fun ! But no trailers .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »
I just agree with gary here
trailer  ooooohhhh  noooo
have you ever seen a trailer behind a ferarri ??
ok this one is yellow , maybe a lamborgini  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
I've seen it in real life, it's more like a jelly bean :)

Offline Double D

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2009, 01:47:29 PM »
Gary,

A thousand words in one picture...you guys agree?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
Of course we agree ! Doug ,really almost two thousand words !

"Many are the words that only leave you guessing ,bout things you really ought to know ......"

Gary

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
" Sorry George High Speed Low Drag " 
 would have to be wearing drag to drive the damn thing........
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2009, 03:06:49 AM »
Gary,

DD,
I wonder if Gary's bumble bee would even have the stones to pull that mobile habitat, the extra weight might blow a head gasket on the wee motor that's stored in the trunk. :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:14 AM »
Gary,

DD,
I wonder if Gary's bumble bee would even have the stones to pull that mobile habitat, the extra weight might blow a head gasket on the wee motor that's stored in the trunk. :D

You mean the hamsters might get tired on the long haul to the Montana Cannon shoot?   ;D ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Very cute...color coordinated! Low co-efficent of drag (Not that kind of drag!), streamlined, carry your Morkos in style! Might handle 85, too...(Doubt it, tho!)
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »
Gary,

DD,

Well , DD what do you and BoomJ think ? Joined at the hip and all ? If stones are in question . I would suggest you both give up , and ask for a redeal . And then settle for womanhood .

And you carronader , you can dress up in Drag as it is the Scooothish thing to do . kilts/mendresses and all . You can keep your mouth shut too. If I can make it to the 2010 mont. shoot I will shows yous something .

It is becoming less attractive as the days go on . you know driving 16 hours to end up in the city park . Then listen to a bunch of matcho hooey about how this little rat or that was shot with a .17 or .22 at about a million yards while on the run.

and then how even more little rats were shot ......laid out on stones (the only ones in Montana or Illinos) 

proudly .....jezz .you  kill a few rats and think you done something worth a picture ? or a rolling screen saver with these little rats killed by x and heres some more killed by y . Why ? thats a good question . Just cause .

A mind is a terrible thing to waste , opps too late .

I'm guessing that on the scale you live on ...it was something ? something big ! take a pic ...quick B4 anyone forgets what you did .

BoomJ have you ever actually Fired a cannon ? I know you bought one , and made a carriage  what sort of groups are you getting ,what is your powder charge ? where are the pics ?..... Maybe you can find a nice 'blast' online and show it ?

GOD theres alot of wanta be's here get off your BUTTs and DO SOMETHING ! dont say anything about it thou unless you want every Tom ,Dick and Harry telling you this and that and how 'theyed' have done it , AFTER they wanted to know how to do it . 

And why you are a morron for doing it in exaclty the same way that none of them has a clue about , opinions YES clues ....not so much .

Gary

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »
Gary MacLorenz..............are you turning to the Scottish school of tact and diplomacy ?  keep the lid on the furnace..........or the bronze gets cold. A lot of people I bet.........read your posts first , so close the Grand Canyon...............and keep posting.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2009, 01:52:08 AM »
I didn't know that there was a burrowing rat infestation in Montana, I thought you guys shot gophers.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »
I didn't know that there was a burrowing rat infestation in Montana, I thought you guys shot gophers.

We shot Gophers, Richardson Ground squirrels, "copiously".   Unfortunately by August they estivate or we could go shot them before the cannon shoot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
Gun Club meeting tonight.  Not much to share.  They are leaving what we do pretty much up to me as long as it is safe anfalls with in the range rules.   None of the micro managment we had  last year.  

I do have to go visit the Hutteritte Colony-the Land owner and see if they are going to plant we shot on last year summer.  If they aren't then we will shoot there.  If the are going  to plant then we will have move a little west of  where we were and shoot from there.  

If we can get someone to do our dirt work then we will shoot on the rifle  range....preferred. We have been trying since last spring to get some one to do it but the folks that do that work are pretty busy working in the oilfields.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »
well DD they musta been impressed . Turning it over to you is sweet . I hope next years local turnout is even bigger . You know those kids will be back for sure .

Gary 

Offline Double D

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
Right now we are scheduled to shot August 7 and 8. 

If we want we could shoot mid June instead...any one interested?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2009, 08:10:43 PM »
How about August 14 and 15?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2009, 04:50:38 AM »
     We will be making our deliveries in June of 2010, DD, so we can't get up to Big Sky country during June or July (bad weather alternative month).  ANY weekend in August is O.K. though.   I hope we can find another manganese steel gong or two.  They are extremely tough and ring like bells!  Mike and I found one in a scrap yard 30 years ago, a 36 incher, and dragged it to our tiny shop for the drilling of the support holes.  After burning up a 1/4"  M2 twist drill, we tried a 1/4" carbide drill bit and burned it up to the point where the plate was almost melting, then we tried a carbide burr and burned it up, too by melting the braze until the burr flew off!  Finally someone said, "Let's take it out to the range and drill some holes with Dave's .300 Win Mag!"  It worked, and with two short pieces of steel cable, we had our "Super Gong" hung at 1,000 yards.  It was quite a thrill to hear the Bonnnnnggg when we connected with our 'cannons' back then at 1,000 yards!!
Almost all of them were 45-70s in those days, but Mike had an old FN-49 in 7x57mm that could hit the gong quite often and the bullets would put a tiny dent in the surface and then a continuous, thin, wiggly, line about 3 to 4 inches long from the little dent.  All we could figure out was that those full metal jacket bullets would spin like tops and fall off into the dirt when they lost their terrific RPM!!  Weird.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2009, 05:12:07 AM »
June was open and I didn't know if it might be better...

I'll look at the 14th and 15th. As far as useof the range, not a problem.  Access is another thing. If harvest is going on we may not be able to go that late.  That's things for me to work on. 

I am "pushed" by my own life experience work rules to get this firmed up early and I want to get the best date for everyone.   When I worked for the Govt' with all my years of service I was on the upper end of the annual leave earning- 8 hours every 2 week pay period after 15 years of service.  But work rules  required that I reserved any specific dates I want for the upcoming year, by January 1!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2009, 06:59:36 AM »
August

Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
Those of you who attend the Shoot last year know that there were issues with the land owner and the range. 

The part of the range upon which we shot last summer has been planted to crop and will be unavailable to us. 

There isn't an adequate area on the current range to hold the shoot.  The club was going to do some dirt work on the ranges. I was of the impression a plan existed for the work and as describe to me would meet our needs for a cannon shoot.  It turns out there is no formal plan as to what dirt to move where.

The clubs lease is due to expire in just under 4 years and is unliklely to be renewed.  Some club members are reluctant to do any range improvements or spend money on the current range untill it's status is resolved.  I agree.

At this time I can not gaurantee the work will be done so we can have a shoot.  I do not wish to encourage anyone to go to the time and expense of planning to come here only to have the shoot cancelled at the last minute. 

Under these conditions, I going to cancel next summers shoot here in Montana.  Perhaps in 2011.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »
Easy come easy go ! :D

There have been some other ideas floated around ,maybe one will pan out ?