Author Topic: X Die ?  (Read 796 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
X Die ?
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:10:50 AM »
Greetings all,
 I'm just starting, I've been reading here and books for a year, know a few local loaders for advise and I'm finally making the plunge picking up gear, my bench will be based around a rockchuker and mostly rcbs gear.

I'm buying new dies, and all my cases wil be once fired factory or new, so my question is; is the 7-08 known for neck stretching needing the X die? And/or will I be OK buying just the standard FL sizing die? I'll be loading for accuracy and not max in most cases,,but will need to experiment

The plan is to fire form and just do the neck anyway's for the NEF Handi, if it works well, again, I guess only experiment will tell.
Thanks in advance
found elsewhere

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: X Die ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:02:16 AM »
All rifle cases stretch some when full-length resized.  Rimless cases such as your 7mm-08 will stretch less than belted magnum or rimmed bottle neck cases.  There are several things you can do to reduce case stretching.
1.  Load your cartridges to less than maximum pressure.
2.  Lubricate the inside of the case neck before sizing.
3.  Neck size your cases instead of full length sizing.
4.  Adjust your full length sizing die so that the case shoulder is not set back and they still chamber easily.
4.  Use a RCBS X-die.  The X-die will work only when the die is properly adjusted and all of your cases are trimmed to the same length.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
Thanks,
 After talking with my 2 local loading nut's, I'm just going with a standard die. I'll be loading for accuracy, not volume or max, so I guess my best bet is to just learn slow and proper.
 I can always upgrade if there are issues, but starting with new cartrides I'll have a 1000 or so rounds to make-up my mind. My goal is affordable versatility in the quest for sub-moa groups. I'm sure I'll have ton's of ?'s later.
found elsewhere

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
Thanks,
 After talking with my 2 local loading nut's, I'm just going with a standard die. I'll be loading for accuracy, not volume or max, so I guess my best bet is to just learn slow and proper.
 I can always upgrade if there are issues, but starting with new cartrides I'll have a 1000 or so rounds to make-up my mind. My goal is affordable versatility in the quest for sub-moa groups. I'm sure I'll have ton's of ?'s later.

I have done a bunch of research on the X-Die and had a lot of members chime in over the months.

The X-Die has little to do with accuracy, it is a time saver and case saver.

I was looking at the X-Die as I had not invested in a traditional case trimmer that cost $75+.

I figured $35 for an X-Die and $30 for a trim die, that you use a file to trim to length one time, then after that use the X-Die every time you reload, no need for a neck sizing die or other type of FL sizing die.

Reports from users say the cases put thru the X-Die will grow a few thou, and then never more, nor do the necks thicken over time, and some folks get 20+ reloads out of cases that will typically only take 4-6 reloads. So think the X-Dies are only useful for high volume reloaders, I consider any time saver like an X-Die a good idea.

The consensus of those that use the X-Dies is that an X-Die adjusted as per the factory instructions, plus mild loads, is the ticket for simple case prep and case life.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,167359.0.html

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
I don't truly trust the X Die to do what it is supposed to tho RCBS is a quality outfit that stands behind their product and many folks claim to use them successfully. I truly HATE case trimming even tho I have the RCBS powered trimmer. So for .223 which is my volume loading round and which needs trimming darn near every firing I am gonna buy one and give the darn thing a try. I sure hope it works as promised but if not I trust RCBS to make me whole again on it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »
I don't truly trust the X Die to do what it is supposed to

Like the old commercial
"Try it, you'll like it"

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »
I had a set of X-Dies for both 7mm/08 and 308 Winchester and I sold them.  The requirement that all cases be exactly the same length, etc. seemed too fussy for me and I get great case life in those cartridges anyway with the standard dies.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
I don't truly trust the X Die to do what it is supposed to tho RCBS is a quality outfit that stands behind their product and many folks claim to use them successfully. I truly HATE case trimming even tho I have the RCBS powered trimmer. So for .223 which is my volume loading round and which needs trimming darn near every firing I am gonna buy one and give the darn thing a try. I sure hope it works as promised but if not I trust RCBS to make me whole again on it.

GB, please report back on this, if you have been reloading for many years it is great to see you take a chance on something new, and also a smart one, as your test will be backed up by RCBS.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
I had a set of X-Dies for both 7mm/08 and 308 Winchester and I sold them.  The requirement that all cases be exactly the same length, etc. seemed too fussy for me and I get great case life in those cartridges anyway with the standard dies.

That's the answer I was looking for, I understand some calibers and cartridges are notoriuos for stretching and wondered if the 7-08 was one.
Oh I plan on being fussy though, I've learned that by taking a extra little time with details when loading the ML's I love so much, that you can really wring the best out of a gun. That's my primary reason to start hand loading, custom loads for individual guns. Who know's? I might be taken by the fever and begin loading volumes :D, but right now I'm waiting for the lacquire to dry on my bench,, so I can mount my press

A Thank you to everyone, this site is great reading. I too look forward in the coming weeks/months to here what GB finds out.
found elsewhere

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
Don't know a thing about the x die, but I have found my handis (that have a rimless case) need full length resizing.  I tried neck sizing on my 7-08 but the rifle does not want to close and lock up properly.  The cases seem to need the shoulder set back a little.

I'm surely not an expert as some of the members here are, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
good tip revbc,,I'm sure i'll find out real soon about that,,I'll try a few dummy rounds first.
found elsewhere

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »

I don't understand the too fussy part.
Trim all brass per die instructions
adjust die in press per instructions
adjust the "spindle" in the die per instructions  (sorry for not being exact on this... it is early for me)
Now lock down die adjustments, the die is set for as long as you keep the same brass and press. next time you need the die screw it into the press until the lock ring is aginst the top of your press
If you buy more brass you will need to trim it to the same length that you trimmed the first batch
going from memory here but it is as simple as that

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 06:28:39 AM »
May try them for my .204s