Poll

If golf ball size steel balls were available would you buy them?

Yes
35 (87.5%)
No and why not
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2009, 01:04:27 PM

Author Topic: Golf balls size steel balls-now available  (Read 17572 times)

Offline FiftyCalAl

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Golf balls size steel balls-now available
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2010, 06:59:29 PM »
Are all you skeptics now convinced that the balls that Fox has made for us for use in our golf ball mortars are with in adequate tolerances for our use?   

I am reluctant to ask them to make more in other sizes as the skepticism sure doesn't leave one with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
The 50 I received look fantastic, much nicer than others I have ordered from another mfg. I ordered them on a friday and they were on my doorstep tuesday... great service!

I am a newb and joined the forum after seeing this listing.  I also ordered 75 balls on Friday and they showed up on Tuesday.  I do not yet own a GB mortar or cannon, but knew this was an awesome deal- thanks to whomever arranged it  I am hoping to learn a lot here and enter the hobby (addiction).  I am a civilian and LE firearms instructor and class 3 and .50BMG enthusiast.  I have a golf ball launcher for my AR-15s that uses blanks.  The distance is incredible.  Hopefully the steel balls witll slow it enough to keep the result in my same county.  I hope you will indulge me with patience as I learn about this new adventure.  If anyone has a link to a general educational thread or text I could read to learn the basics, I 'd certainly be grateful.

Best Regards, Al

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2010, 07:09:56 PM »
Your golf ball launcher AR would be of interest over on the exotics board.  We are about Black powder cannons and mortars here.  Something to keep in mind is recoil will be substantially increased with these steel balls.

If you don't have a golf ball cannon or mortar, check with our sponsors and they should be able set you up with what you need?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »
"If anyone has a link to a general educational thread or text I could read to learn the basics, I 'd certainly be grateful."

Hi Al,

When I started with this cannon stuff I read all the sticky threads at the top of the page. Helped me out a lot with basic info on building cannons, safety, etc. I still go back there regularly to refresh my memory on various points.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline waynef

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2010, 07:11:31 AM »
     Solid steel or iron balls are not allowed in NSSA competition.  See the pertinent section of their current Rules below. Maybe someone who participates regularly in their competitions can tell us exactly why this is so?

The reason for non ferrous projectiles is to ensure no sparks.

Wayne

Palmetto Shatpshooters

Offline Double D

« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
N-SSA won't allow golf ball mortars either.

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »
I'll take 50

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
Put me down for 50

Offline Double D

« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
Go to the Sticky at the top of the board and find the details on how to order. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,199396.0.html

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #248 on: July 14, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
That's too bad about the NSSA issue. However.... I got 50 for myself. and I haven't been as happy with a product and the service I got from Ken at Fox in a long time!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff