Poll

If golf ball size steel balls were available would you buy them?

Yes
35 (87.5%)
No and why not
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2009, 01:04:27 PM

Author Topic: Golf balls size steel balls-now available  (Read 17600 times)

Offline tesavis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Golf balls size steel balls
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 02:28:39 AM »
I like Kaintuck would like a source for 2.25" steel balls.

My bore is 2.33" napoleon. Billiard balls are perfect, but a little light (6 oz).

I purchased (20) 2" steel balls from Fox Industries, they are good to work with. They are fairly round I am going to try saboting these.

I would purchase (50) 2.25" if I could get them, thanks.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 03:04:55 AM »
The size ball you need with correct rule of thumb windage is 2.272. (2.33/40= 0.05825 x 39 = 2.272)  So a 2.25 might be a bit small, but usable especially with a sabot. A 58 mm might work also at 2.285.

While I am working on the Golf ball size, I'll toss in a query about the 2.25 or 58 mm for you guys.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 04:30:41 AM »
I would love to get a couple dozen gb sized steel balls.  We could so make the grounds keepers happy by launching those on the golf course and letting them implant into that finely manicured grass they call a green.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:05 AM »
I would love to get a couple dozen gb sized steel balls.  We could so make the grounds keepers happy by launching those on the golf course and letting them implant into that finely manicured grass they call a green.

It would proly shatter someones swing if they 'thought' one laying near the rough was their ball ......WONNNKK !!! orrringggg nnnnn   !

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
A sport for Gentlemen........probably why you rednecks ain't allowed membership........savages
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
Well you better play it while you can . These greennie types are out to shut you down ,something about golfball polution or some darn thing .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
DD,

You can count me in for 100 carbon steel, (not polished) cannon balls for the 1.75”
For my Dom Carpenter’s created cannons.

I was hoping to have several to use in my Dahlgren Boat Howitzer, next weekend November 22nd. at the Hernando Sportsman’s Club Cannon Shoot but thanks to our board member Gary, Fox Industries are “now” completely sold out, nothing , Zip available until? As Ken said, “We don’t know when they will be available again”.

The steel balls according to Gary are 11+ ounces each. I don’t really want to use the lead balls I have at 16 ounces each and stress this carriage. I could probably use a reduced charge and higher sighting elevation and trajectory to reach the target 200 meters down range? But that is no fun.

Maybe, I will just take the SBR half scale Parott with its 1.5” bore and park the Dahlgren Boat Howitzer until the carbon steel balls are again available.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »
     Mike and I are also interested in ordering 100 in the 1.75" size.  It would be nice to know exactly what size these will be.  Will there be a full 1/40th allowed for windage or not?  Also what grade of accuracy does the maker claim on size and sphericity?

Thanks,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
What 1.75 size?  We are talking about 43 mm (1.692)

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
A sport for Gentlemen........probably why you rednecks ain't allowed membership........savages

Hey carronader...I think I should be insulted.  But then again what you said is true ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »
This heathen ferinner needs alittle 'sensiblity training' .......I dont deny the charge ...nessesarally  8).

In all reallity its part of the reason we are no longer , Subjects ... :P :P :-* :'( :P Hee Heee Tee Haarr .

Good Savages make Good Citizens !  ;D

Gary

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »
What 1.75 size?  We are talking about 43 mm (1.692)

What?  Really, and I was silly enough to think that you were talking to a ball manufacture about making something that will more closely fit a 1.75" bore, like the one Dom makes with his Parrott field piece series and maybe others.  But now I find you are going in the opposite direction, and actually talking to somebody about producing balls with even more windage than 1/40th would allow for which is .04375".  with a 42mm ball, yes at 1.6929", you are talking about .058" windage which is almost a .030" gap all around the ball.  If they are not able to produce a ball with half that gap, we should probably know that up front.  Also, if they can't guarantee .002" on size and .001 on sphericity, then we are just wasting time with them.  What's the latest from this ball mfg.?

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
Minimum diameter of a golf ball is 1.68" and they all strive for that.  Guess we should ask Dom to drill his golf ball artillery to 1.719".
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 03:16:48 PM »
A golf ball gun with proper windage would need a minimum bore of 1.723 inch.
The diameter of a golf ball is 1.68 inch. .  (1.68/39)x40=1.723
http://www.learnaboutgolf.com/beginner/balltypes.html

We have had that reference in our reference library since 2004.  I've never made a golf ball mortar that was anything but 1.723.

Since the steel balls are made in standard fractions of 1/4's and mm, 43 mm/1.692908 is the closet to 1.68 and not being too small and  and still with in the windage range.  1 1/2 inch and 42 mm/1.653538 are to small-excessive windage.  1.75 and 44 mm/1.732278 to big-won't fit the bore. 

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »
I would love to get a couple dozen gb sized steel balls.

We any closer to seeing them??
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2009, 03:48:45 AM »
Tracy my balls are 42.8 mm if Doug is going to get 43mm ,how is that more windage ?

Besides personaly I wouldnt waste my time even shooting this target ammo with out a sabot . So that can be used to make up some windage .

Gary

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 03:54:28 AM »
Minimum diameter of a golf ball is 1.68" and they all strive for that.  Guess we should ask Dom to drill his golf ball artillery to 1.719".

IIRC, Dom's GB cannon bores are 1.75 dia because that's the ID of the tubing he uses.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »
It is the dia.

I hope some of the guys who's gb bore is 1 11/16ths(iirc) dont get themsevles into trouble ? size wise .
Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2009, 05:29:07 AM »
I just got off the phone with Ken at www.foxindustries.com. Here’s what is happening.

Fox makes grinding balls for industry.  They make the balls in large lots, 20,000 lbs and more at time to meet specific customer orders.  They often have overruns of a few hundred pounds.  Those are the balls they sell to people like us.  Fox industries does not have any balls in stock in the size we need. 

One of the most common cannons folks buy or build is a golf ball cannon.  It doesn't take to long for people to determine that a golf ball is a pretty poor cannon ball and they start looking for something else.

A steel ball as used in the grinding industries is a logical place to start looking.  In the past I have contacted both ornamental and grinding ball suppliers and they are not real keen on accommodating us.  We aren't going to make them big sales. Fox is willing to deal with us.

Gary-Rocklock has been talking with Ken at Fox industries about this and suggested I contact them.  I did.

Fox is looking into making a run of a few thousand pounds of these balls to stock just to sell us. They want to know first that there is a potential market and what the size of that market is. That is the purpose of this poll.   If they see a market they then will run the numbers and see if they can provide the balls at a price that we are willing to pay.

Since we are seeking a substitute for a golf ball, the diameter of a golf ball-1.68 inch is the diameter I have supplied Fox. 

As a matter of safety here on GBOCannons we have always recommend the 1/40th windage rule for all cannons. 

A golf ball gun with proper windage would need a minimum bore of 1.723 inch.
The diameter of a golf ball is 1.68 inch. .  (1.68/39)x40=1.723
http://www.learnaboutgolf.com/beginner/balltypes.html

Others for reasons of their own others have chosen to use different bore diameters. Since we are seeking a substitute for a golf ball, golf ball diameter is being used and if these balls are finally made the recommendation will be that bores should be 1.723 at a minimum.  Sabot use also recommended.

Once Fox Industries has provided me with a cost estimate, I will post that estimate. If you guys find the estimate acceptable I will let Fox know and they will produce the balls.  Once they have the balls available and you guys start ordering, I am going to approach them about becoming a board sponsor and urge them to produce additional diameters that we can use.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »
good work DD . ;D

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2009, 11:11:45 AM »
So what other diameters do they produce and what are the dimension tolerances?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »
So what other diameters do they produce and what are the dimension tolerances?

They haven't given me a list of diameters they produce. I got the impression that what they have at any one time is less a list of inventory, than what was left over after a given customer placed an order for a specific size.

Here is what they told me they have right  now.  They may not have these in a month and may have something else then,

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We manufacture steel balls for the grinding industry.

Chrome steel balls and carbon forged balls

The Chrome balls have a shiny appearance, the carbon balls are usually brownish or grey as they are used in grinding coal, cement, limestone, etc. All the balls are round (99%)

1" - These are 25 mm

I have chrome balls that are 22.8 mm

They would be $0.75 each + frgt

I have Carbon balls that are 1 1/2" , 2" and 2 1/2"

They are $1.00 each + frgt

We have no minimum order

and

Carbon Forged Balls – not shiny, just carbon balls, may be dark grey or have some surface rust.
Sizes 3” , 2 ½” - $1.25 each
Sizes 2”, 1 /2” , 1 ¼” - $1.00 each

Chrome – shiny, have chrome content
1” (25 mm) - $1.25 each
22.8 mm - $0.75 each

I have some polished Carbon Balls – 1 ¼” - $1.25 each

Most of the other balls are in the range of 19 mm to 2.3 mm

I'll ask about tollerances.

Offline Double D

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
George,

I have a sample 1 inch chrome ball they sent me.  Pretty.  I rolled it around between the jaws of dial caliper the needle doesn't move.  The caliper doesn't read 1. but doesn't reead .999 either it's more towards 1.   I'm to lazy to go out to the shop and get my mic and measure it.

I rolled it across the floor and rolled straight across the floor and under the freezer.

It also rolls down the bores of both my 1 inch guns.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »
He said 99% round which I would interpret as within 1% of nominal diameter.  They don't have to be Grade 44 bearing balls to crush coal or limestone.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »
These things are very round ,nice and shiny . Any one at the Montana shoot saw them being shot out of my Parrott gun .

Match ammo ,try it ,YOU'LL like it .

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »

DD:

Small world, for I just this morning had a conversation with Ken at Fox Industries, and gave him a small order for steel balls for my SBR half scale Parrott with its 1.49” bore.

I also discussed the Golf ball 1.75” issue with him. From what I understood from him is, they will make us any size that we would want. He even mentioned to me that they would do an order as small as 1,000 balls. I discussed the shipping issue with him for UPS is more costly for us than the US Post Office’s Flat Rate boxes that will go anywhere in the US up to 70 pounds for only $10.35 for the medium box and the Large Box for $13.95.

My order with him today, which is less than 30 pounds, for 50, (36.4mm) polished balls is going to cost me $18.00 with UPS.

I have a Carpenter 1.75 bore Cannon, that is by my dial caliper 1.742 (44.26mm)
Using the 1/40 rule my steel balls should be 1.698 (43.13mm).  The Oklahoma City made lead 16oz lead balls I have here are 42.8mm and will require patching or a sabot for better accuracy.

As an FYI the Carbon Steel balls, he told me are cast and as I have noticed with a sample here, all will have small flat spot on each side. He also stated that in his type of business, whom he supplies balls for, all of the diameters must be identical.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »
...the US Post Office’s Flat Rate boxes that will go anywhere in the US up to 70 pounds for only $10.35 for the medium box and the Large Box for $13.95.

While the prices are right (used to be $8.30 or so), the boxes are not the world's strongest and I think 70 lbs of iron in one would make it to the second USPS routing station and then there would be dozens of steel balls rolling around the floor.  And you HAVE to use the USPS box to get the flat rate.  So that would require a stronger box within the flat rate box.

I shipped a basic thunder mug in a flat rate box but built a wooden framework within the box to prevent it from tearing the box and falling out.  Worked fine but complicates shipping.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
I sent 60 pounds of bar solder to the East Coast using a flat rate box... built a plywood box to fit inside of it and marked all sides of the flat rate box "VERY HEAVY" with a big black magic marker.  Arrived in fine shape about 4 days later.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 02:34:07 PM »
I am working on golf ball sized only at this time.  

If any one want to order ther own go for it!

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »

Last year I received here in Florida, 65 lbs of lead balls from the Oklahoma City Supplier, all packed in a Flat Rate Box with newspaper filling.

The box appeared to have seen better days but the contents was complete. This was my second order from them.

Of course, the Postal Delivery girl was not to happy with this delivery.