Author Topic: Is a deer worth losing your job?  (Read 998 times)

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
Is a deer worth losing your job?
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
From the Iowa DNR website. Hardly seems worth it.

Two South Carolina Law Officers Plead Guilty to Iowa Charges
Posted: November 3, 2009

WEST UNION, Iowa - Two South Carolina law enforcement officers pleaded guilty to falsely claiming Iowa residency to obtain in-state hunting licenses. Charges were filed against Kester "Kess" Holmes, 33, and Phillip Lee Morris, 34, both of Saluda, S.C., last fall.

Holmes pleaded guilty to four counts of making false claims to obtain resident Iowa deer licenses, and one count of making false claims to obtain an Iowa resident turkey license. Holmes was sentenced to pay maximum fines and court costs, as well as liquidated damages for illegally taken game, and make restitution to the Iowa DNR for the difference between resident and non-resident license fees.

In addition, Holmes was ordered by the court to return two sets of buck deer antlers to the Iowa DNR, and lost his hunting and fishing privileges in Iowa for five years. His fines, costs and restitution will exceed $9,000. Holmes is a deputy sheriff in Saluda County, S.C.

Morris pleaded guilty to four counts of hunting and possessing game without valid resident Iowa DNR licenses and was ordered to pay the maximum fines, court costs, as well as $4,000 in liquidated damages for illegally taken wild game, and $1,400 restitution to the Iowa DNR for the difference between resident and non-resident license fees. The court further ordered Morris to return two sets of buck deer antlers to the Iowa DNR, and suspended his hunting and fishing privileges in Iowa for five years.

Morris was also charged with falsifying information to obtain an Iowa driver's license, to which he also pleaded guilty and received a suspended jail sentence, and was ordered to pay court costs and fees. Morris, a state trooper, was dismissed from the South Carolina State Patrol.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Dave Elledge received information on Morris and Holmes a few years ago, which began the investigation. The two stayed in an old rural farm house they used as camp, on the Fayette-Clayton County line.

"Any time an investigation involves law enforcement personnel, extra care and caution must be taken, in all aspects of the case," Elledge said "Confidentiality is of utmost importance, due to the fact one is dealing with individuals who are savvy to investigative techniques.

Several officers from northeast Iowa, as well as other DNR personnel assisted in the cases. Iowa DNR officers also received cooperation in the cases from the Special Investigations Unit of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Bureau.

The cases were prosecuted by Nathan Lein, assistant county attorney for Fayette County, Iowa and Susan Krisko, of the Iowa Attorney General's Office.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Is a deer worth losing your job?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
The word "idiot" comes to mind.
Really, was it worth it guys??   ::)   ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline fl.hillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
I have not the vocabulary to convey the enormity of just how stooopid that was .I guess they cant say that they didn't know it was wrong .boogles the mind
"Beware the man that owns only one rifle ,he probably knows how to use it ."

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
they tried to save a few buks by not buying a out of state license.tempting ill admit considering the cost of some nonresident tags nowadays.definitely stupid for sure,but is it possible that they may of been of the mentality that sum of the kings men have such as "Hell we are cops, what they gonna do to us???" if thats the case. they definitely let down their honest leo buddys bak in their home state.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
If they were willing to do that in Iowa, what did they do and get by with in their home state?
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »
Iowa is a member of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. If SC was as well they could also loose their licenses in SC for the same time period.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
If they were willing to do that in Iowa, what did they do and get by with in their home state?

My thoughts as well. >:(
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »

Road side hunting, then claim the deer were hit ;)

The name Barney Fife comes to mind ;D

Lonny

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »

Road side hunting, then claim the deer were hit ;)

The name Barney Fife comes to mind ;D

Lonny

Barney may have been inept....but at least he was honest.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:04:55 AM »
  Their was a case similar here in Texas several years back. A couple of LEO's put up feeders and bow hunted on restricted property. Game Wardens went undercover and gathered enough evidence to zoom them. From what I understand the wardens posed as homeless people and fisherman. Brilliant!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:25:21 AM »
After about the seventh y'all in a sentence I suppose the spidey senses went up. Never woulda guessed a South Carolina cop would be dumber than an Iowegian, though the proof is right there for the world to see.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:51:06 AM »
Do not measure ALL by the actions of some. 

I KNOW a host of legitimate SC LEO's that I am sure find the actions of these two to be an embarassment.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »
No judgement rendered accept upon these two idiots, I'm sure they are not representative of SC law enforcement. It used to be the few locals that we knew of involved in this type of activity, mostly to feed their families, but a few thousand magazine articles and videos later and here we are.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:17 AM »
I suppose my point was that they would stand out in a crowd. Two distinct southern accents in Iowa claiming they just moved there and needing deer tags. I moved to MN. from Illinois and am constantly being asked where I'm from. Buddy tells them I am from southern Mn., they all talk that way down there.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**