Author Topic: European Cannon Store  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
European Cannon Store
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »
I found this while searching for a pic of Gary's Seven barreled Visser collection thingage.

European Antique Arms Store - Cannons
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: European Cannon Store
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
I had to put plastic over the key board so I didn't short it out with drool!

If I played the lottery and won big I would want one of everything.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »
yea no kidding droolin . Hokie mokie . it's proly good I dodnt know how much is a L in europe ...!

I liked that little french 1 lber 
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 04:44:15 AM »
I liked that little french 1 lber 

I think of that one as "the cannon the store wants you to think is a French 1 pdr.." 

If there are any marks on it I can't see 'em and there's no text with that in it, so I tend to think it might be a French 1 pdr. but who knows.  I've studied small French cannons and this doesn't resemble any others I've seen either in person or in catalogs, or in scholarly works on historic cannons, so the store is kinda hangin' out there with its opinion, or sales pitch, whatever.

I agree it is a nice looking little cannon, whatever it really is.

Who is going to volunteer to get more info from the store on marks and how they know it is French?  Gary, you ask 'em!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »
Torpedo LOOSE!!!  straight and true ........ we'll see if I get any feedback . ;)

I used words like provedence , and requested all known markings . checked twice for spelling  ;) ;) as I dont think the French are up to Garese ......

If they get back to me ,I will start to ask about the carriage ,and it's authenticity .   

OK John clue me in on some good questions to ask ?

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:05:12 AM »
Looking through their site, I noticed the barrels were seemed to be all photographed in the same red naval carriage,

but it seems they have these built for each barrel, I finally found a photo showing several in the same style red carriages.

Sir Richard would be home here! They not only have cannon but some nice 3/4 and 1/2 suites of armor.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Sunrise

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »
The shop seems to be in Holland not France. Most educated Dutch speak excellent English, so there is every likelihood that Gary will receive a response.

I used words like provedence, and requested all known markings. checked twice for spelling as I dont think the French are up to Garese ......

Gary, you shoulda checked thrice! They will understand an enquiry about provenance, but "provedence"? ;)

It is a nice looking cannon. If I understand the metric measurements correctly, it has a 2" bore and is about 35" long.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
Gary,
I've noticed that the profile of this supposed French gun is very similar to the 16½'', .91 cal., brass naval gun that I recently got, so if you do call these wood soled souls, would you please inform them that I'm more than willing to make an even trade. Their gun for my gun, even though the French lineage of their gun may be questionable, and I'm certain that mine originated in Oregon.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »

Dear Mr Lorenz,

There are no markings at the gun. I have not a provenance,

Best regards

Ton Bolk
----- Original Message -----
To: bolk-antiques@home.nl
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:47 PM
Subject: Request for more information. A very nice bronze 1 pounder French naval-cannon, late 18th century, length of the barrel 88 cm, kaliber 5.3 cm.

Item information from the database:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: A very nice bronze 1 pounder French naval-cannon, late 18th century, length of the barrel 88 cm, kaliber 5.3 cm.
User information:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Gary Lorenz
Address: 2143 Sherri Mar . St.
ZIP: 80501
City: Longmont
Telephone: 303 678 0716
Message: Sirs, I would like to know a little more about The French 1 lber . Can you tell me all markings on this gun ? Any known providence ? It interests me as a nice little gun . Thank you Gary Lorenz

Well here is the reply .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »
The shop seems to be in Holland not France. Most educated Dutch speak excellent English, so there is every likelihood that Gary will receive a response.

I used words like provedence, and requested all known markings. checked twice for spelling as I dont think the French are up to Garese ......

Gary, you shoulda checked thrice! They will understand an enquiry about provenance, but "provedence"? ;)

It is a nice looking cannon. If I understand the metric measurements correctly, it has a 2" bore and is about 35" long.

You must be aware of regional varriations in die a lecte  8) ,such as southern ? Northern region ,eastern tonque North Carolineaian .......? .....

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »
Good job Gary, you got the info I needed.  So who knows what it is, no one.  Sure it coulda been made in France, but just as easily in Ohio or Taiwan or Korea, we'll never know. 

If you want a piece to sit in the den and look cute it is about as good as any. 

My particular affliction is that I prefer to collect military pieces, most of which should have markings which were required when they were accepted into service

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
They do have a VOC gun from the Visser Collection foir sale.

what does the price work out to in real money ?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
Go here to convert currency. http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
what does the price work out to in real money ?

Gary, what kind price range are you looking in, in US green dollars, 'cause I can deal with that?  I might see one tomorrow, you never know, and if it was in your price range I'd put you in touch with it.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »
What is a L ?

Like this: £   ?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
Yes ,that's it . I know it means pounds ,or lire .....

Cannonmn , IM sending .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »
£ is pounds sterling, UK money.  More than $1 to a £.  More like two.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
Thats kinda what i thought . Or close anyway ! Thanks Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
Dou you mean £ British pounds

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
I hate websites who doesnt put the price out on the items they are selling  >:(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
It's kind of like boats; if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.   ;D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 04:33:10 AM »
some of them show prices ,the little model 18th century gun is 38.50 E ?  its 43 cm long (15"?)

Gary

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »
some of them show prices ,the little model 18th century gun is 38.50 E ?  its 43 cm long (15"?)

Gary

RocklockI,
I'm guessing that Meneer Bolk isn't quite that sales oriented, although it might be a good ploy to get more customers into his shop. The amount being asked for that field gun model is actually 3,850 (Three Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty) Euros.

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »
 That isn't £ for British pounds but € for Euro and is about $5700. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »
I'm gonna have a lay down . :'( :'(      :'(

open a beer too !