Author Topic: Arrow Weight Difference.....  (Read 758 times)

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Arrow Weight Difference.....
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
  Does anyone know the weight difference between aluminum and carbon arrows, inch for inch? Being a new archer I am guessing that aluminum is lighter????

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Arrow Weight Difference.....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
Alluminum arrows are heavier than carbon arrows. Among aluminum arrows there are usually three or four different weights that will have the same spine(stiffness) this is usually achieved by thinner walls and larger diameter in the shaft. Carbons vary on weight as well so you can choose what traits you want in a carbon shaft.

I am in the heavier arrow camp. I find that aluminums are working just fine. I can't say that carbons have some inherant down side I just get good enough results from the aluminums.

If you are just starting out, do yourself a favor. Don't chase speed, chase forgiveness in your setup. At every opportunity to add an accessory ask which is the more bulletproof option. Better yet, do I need this hanging off my bow?
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:17:37 PM »
  Thanks. The reason I ask is I harvested my first deer with a crossbow with a "17 aluminum 2216 bolt. My backup arrows are "20 Cabela's Stalker X Bolt carbon. Just trying to get a comparable weight difference. Any thoughts?

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »
Easton web site is pretty informative and can give you the weight, you may need to do a little math but it'll be there. 2216 is a middle weight range shaft the 2117 is the heavy shaft and I think they have a 23?? that is the superlite in that spine range. Inserts may or may not be included in the weights quoted in the website, remember to check. As far as Cabelas is concerned good luck on lots of info on the bolt you are using. No put down of Cabelas intended, that is just pretty technical info for them to include in a sales catalog.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:17:23 AM »
Thanks, I'll check the Easton site. Yeah, Cabelas doesn't give many specs on these bolts. I've used them to unload my crossbow so they shoot ok so far.