Author Topic: Authentic or not?  (Read 788 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Authentic or not?
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
Read the description, look at the pix, and see what you think.  To me anyway, the item shown looks like an SBR (or whomever) product ca. 1970's, not what the site says it is.  This item is no longer for sale, so I'm not breakiing any rules I can think of.

http://landandseacollection.com/id286.html

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Authentic or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »
SBR of New Delhi maybe.  No mould lines?  Cast Iron Bronze cannons....one of those lights on my dash board just started blinking, what is it they call those lights now?  ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:14:28 AM »
Lets see now let me count the ways When did the use of hex bolts come into use? early 19th C. ? big waste of Iron on the carriage..... 19C garrison carriage
skeletonized to save weight. Poor foundry work for a shooting cannon... unfinished..... parting line..... probably cored...... this is somebody's lawn ornament.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
SBR manufactered a "Contental" ,its a small gun with a tube of that size . I thought it came with a field carriage ? they didnt spend much time on finishing it ,the only SBR i own is much better than that .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
That's not the "Continental," but I'm fairly sure its a SBR naval barrel; at least its got the right profile, length, and bore size.
This is a pic of an SBR barrel mounted on a carriage made by "Duck Island Cannon Works." The barrel is 14˝-inches OAL, and it has a seamless steel liner with a .75 caliber bore.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Sunrise

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »
The same website also offers an "HMS Victory Ship's Signal Cannon". Words fail me ...

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
boom J,
you are correct.  The barrel is a SBR R2 REV.  I made that carriage several years ago. Are you the owner?  Barrel is cast with a liner and not lathe turned, however a good clean casting, no pits ect.
Len
DICW

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »
boom J,
you are correct.  The barrel is a SBR R2 REV.  I made that carriage several years ago. Are you the owner?  Barrel is cast with a liner and not lathe turned, however a good clean casting, no pits ect.
Len
DICW

Len,
No, I'm not the owner, it was on an an E-auction site some time ago, and the bidding got a little steep for me, so I had to let it go. BTW, that's one of your usual fine looking carriages.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
Let's be clear here.  The cannon in the link that Cannonmn posted and the Cannon Boomj posted are two different cannons.  Boomj has posted a picture of a known SBR cannon. 

The cannon Cannonmn has posted a link to is represented as an 130 year old late 1800's early 19 century design cast iron bronze cannon.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
Cast iron bronze cannon????
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »
Yes cast iron bronze is what it says in the description

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:24:12 PM »
We are conservatively estimating its age as at least 130 years, but it could be much earlier.

yeah, earlier that morning