Author Topic: Primer pocket & Flashole question.  (Read 628 times)

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Primer pocket & Flashole question.
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:00:21 PM »
I have some Rem 6.5mm Brass(fired) that the Flash hole is obviously not dead nutz center in the Primer Pocket, what kind of issues may this have on case or bullet performance?

Thanks in advance.
SWDF
"If it bleeds we can kill it" Dutch

Offline Autorim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Primer pocket & Flashole question.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »
I don't think it is an issue unless you are loading for extreme accuracy.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »
You know, the flash hole off center thing has been argued more than once.  This is what I don't understand, if a post is made about whether or not to resize new brass, the majority of responses will come out in favor of resizing it so that it will be just right.  Then, when the off center flash hole question comes up, about the same percentage of responses come in saying that off center flash holes make no difference.

It would seem to me that if you resize new cases, clean your primer pockets, trim straight walled revolver cartridges, deburr your flash holes, etc., you ought to be concerned that flash holes are off center.  Personally, up until recently, cases I found with off center flash holes went in the recycling can.  I have, however, saved several 7mm Remington Magnum cases with off center flash holes and when I have my 77 Mag. barrel on my Encore again, I intend to answer the question once and for all (at least for me).

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:21 AM »
Flash hole diameter differences have much more effect than flash hole centering.  As long as all legs of the primer anvil are supported, the placement of the hole has little margin; and the only difference is which side of the center of the powder is ignited first.  I have sorted cases by flash hole placement and tried them with the same load.  I could tell no difference with the chronograph or the target.  Of course this was not a very tightly controlled test, so your results may vary.  After doing the same type test with cases with different size flash holes, I can tell you that the results showed quite a bit of variation on the chronograph.

Personally, I clean the pockets and flash holes, but don't worry about centering (within reason).
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:15:56 AM »
If the flashhole is off-center, how can you resize your brass without twisting the neck and creating an out of synch round?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »
Off center liks berdan cases are ? What effect do they suffer ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:18:51 AM »
I've never seen one that was so far off center that the primer punch pin wouldn't go through it.
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
I've never seen one that was so far off center that the primer punch pin wouldn't go through it.

I had one in which the edge of the flash hole was abutting the edge of the primer pocket.  It has been a long time ago but, if memory serves me correctly, they were nickel plated Remington 222 Remington cases and my decapping pin went the center of the primer pocket rather than the flash hole thus removing the primer.  They usually aren't that far off though.

Thus far I have no personal results to contest the allegation that off center flash holes make no difference in accuracy but eventually I'll do the tests to satisfy myself one way or the other on this.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:50:41 AM »
I have some Rem 6.5mm Brass(fired) that the Flash hole is obviously not dead nutz center in the Primer Pocket, what kind of issues may this have on case or bullet performance?

Thanks in advance.
SWDF

None that you will ever notice in everyday shooting.  If you are shooting 1000 yard matches for group, you may be talented enough to pick out a brass with a defect like that, but not real easily.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002