Author Topic: Case Lube??  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Dave1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Case Lube??
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:29:45 AM »
I need some new case lube.  What are you using and like?  Best?

Thanks, Dave

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Case Lube??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:38:23 AM »
Imperial Sizing Wax.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:17:59 AM »
Electrical wire pull lube from home depot or lowes. A little goes a long way.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »
I've used nothing but RCBS spray in a pump bottle for the last ten to twelve years maybe longer. I tried it when it first came out and haven't changed since. I've tried lots of others but didn't care for them. Redding bought Imperial and the can of it I have has stuck more cases for me than I've stuck with all other lubes combined in the 40 years or so I've been reloading.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:56 AM »
 :DI like Lee white paste case lube, have used it for years. Like GB with his favorite. Never tried the spray, it may work fine too.  This stuff is easily wiped off....

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:38:07 AM »
Different folks, different strokes.   

I've used most commercial case lubes and tested a LOT of other things for substitutes.   I really like Lee's white stuff in the toothpast tubes but I LOVE the soft waxes, Imperial and Unique.  Equal substitutes are Kiwi "Mink Oil", "Snow Seal" and "Sno-Proof" boot treatments (from Walmart's shoe dept.).  I apply them all with finger tips quickly as I pick the cases up for sizing.  The waxes  do a good job; clean, easy to remove from cases and my fingers afterwards.

No matter the lube, you MUST be certain to cover the lower portion of the cases.  That's where they will get stuck if you don't!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Dave1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:44:03 AM »
I have never used a case lube that I had to apply with fingers.  Is it difficult to get the right amount on brass bottleneck rifle cases without over/under doing it?

Do cases have to be washed after sizing to remove those lubes?

The sprays seem to be much easier to use and less messy.

Dave

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:50:38 AM »
I like RCBS, the gel type, in the tube.  A couple drops on a lube pad, and roll your cases.  Never had a problem.  The newer spray lubes are quicker, I am sure, but it always concerned me, getting lube inside the case, that it might effect the primer or powder.  All my high volume reloading is usually done with carbide dies, so lube is not an issue.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »
I've used the RCBS and the pad, but really prefer the Imperial Sizing die Wax. A little on your fingers goes a long way...... and after I size my bottleneck cases I clean them as a matter of course...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »
Sprays inherently waste more. But they are much faster.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
I like Hornady One Shot, I've stuck a couple cases, but it was my fault for getting in a hurry and not waiting a few minutes as directed in the instructions.  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
I used one can of Hornady and stuck a couple cases. Haven't used it since. I don't think I've stuck one since going to the RCBS pump bottle. Yeah ya waste some but even so it sure lasts a LOOOONG time.

I toss my cases into a tumbler filled with corn cob media afterward and let them run a few hours or over night or until I remember they are still in there whichever comes first.  ;D

They always come out clean and shiny and ready to load other than removing a grain of media from the flash hole from time to time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
I have Dillon spray lube (about $8 for a pump bottle) and imperial sizing die wax. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:09 PM »
Imperial Wax

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
I used one can of Hornady and stuck a couple cases. Haven't used it since. I don't think I've stuck one since going to the RCBS pump bottle. Yeah ya waste some but even so it sure lasts a LOOOONG time.

I toss my cases into a tumbler filled with corn cob media afterward and let them run a few hours or over night or until I remember they are still in there whichever comes first.  ;D

They always come out clean and shiny and ready to load other than removing a grain of media from the flash hole from time to time.

That's the way I do mine too GB. It doesn't hurt the corn cob media, and I get them polished too. For pistol though I just use carbide dies.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »
Quote from: Steve P link=topic=188338.msg 1098937066#msg 1098937066 date=1258070147
I have Dillon spray lube (about $8 for a pump bottle) and imperial sizing die wax. 

EXACTLY!!!  Not necessarily in that order..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dave1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »
Well, I drove all the way into town to the local Gander Mountain store that handles some RCBS gear and supplies.  There I found a new unopened case of RCBS case lube spray, so I thought great! some really fresh stuff.  I happily pulled a new unopened bottle out of the case and headed for the cashier along with some other "stuff".

Once back at home, I had all of my cases and equipment ready and began my work.  When I got to the case lube step, I pumped the bottle until my finger got sore and the darn spray pumper wouldn't work.  I could see the pick up tube inside the bottle had come out of the pump.  No matter how hard I tried or how fast I pumped it would not work.  I managed to dribble a tiny bit of the case lube liquid out so I finger rubbed it onto the cases and finally got them all sized.  I guess what can go wrong will go wrong sometimes.  Gander Mtn will get this bottle back.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
I started using RCBS case Lube 2 and a pad years ago. I have never stuck a case with it, I have over lubed and dented some. When I got done with the sizing I ran them through a tumbler to clean them up. Now I swish them in warm water and then dump them out on to an old towel to dry, usually over night. I have put them in a metal pan and turned on the oven at low temp for abut 1 hour and they come out dry, so I can use them right away. I bought 2 cans of Hornady One Shot. I did not stick a case, but a couple felt like they might. I tried it on one batch of cases and went back to the RCBS Case Lube. I guess when you get used to doing it one way you get the kinks worked out and you feel more comfortable with it. BTW if your pads gets dirty all you have to do is wash it with warm water and soap. Dry it the best you can leave it dry for a couple of days and relube and it is like a new pad. You can do this until there are chunks missing out of the pad. The pad will last a looong time if properly taken care of. 
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 03:29:26 AM »
Dave, RCBS has had some problems with the packaging of their pump spray lube. The original design was to me the best and for years gave me no trouble. Then it began to clog up the nozzle. It was easily enough cleaned up with rubbing alcohol tho and worked again.

Then they changed bottle designs and perhaps the formula for lube as well. It had a tendency to dry up in the bottle by the time it got to the end user. I have three bottles of that. I called them and they replaced it at no cost to me with the newest design bottle. It has a little locking mechinism that you must disengage before spraying and has a tube of plastic that slides down over the top. Is that what you got? If so you must remove that tube then unlock it to spray. It seems to me it's gonna also have the clogging problem so be sure to wipe the tip after use or it might require a bit of alcohol to loosen from time to time. It's not without minor inconveniences but is still my preferred lube by far.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 03:51:36 AM »
The only two Lee products I use are their white past lube and their hand priming tool.  I squeeze a dab of the white lube on top of my left pinky finger and when I pick up a case with my right hand, I touch the case neck to the dab, then use my thumb and forefinger to spread it around the neck.  A little goes a long way and about every tenth round or so, I skip the lube altogether.  No oil dents ever.  I return any unused lube to the tube - just push it back in.  Works for me.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 03:54:48 AM »
Lyman quick spray , never stuck a case with it but if you get it to thick it will pressure dent case shoulders . If at all possible i use dies that require no lube.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 06:01:27 AM »
If you use a little imperial sizing die wax on your straight wall pistol cases you will find your carbide dies work much easier and last longer.  I learned this trick a couple of summers ago when I loaded up about 5k 38s and 357s in a few weeks.

"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
Ive used specific case lubing products as well as exotic lubes (wire lube for wire fed welders works awesome)  But the lube Ive recently switched to is plain old walmart brand nonstick cooking spray.

I just line up the cases I want to lube on an old t-shirt and give them a light mist, then I fold the t-shirt over the top of the cases and roll them about a couple times. This method makes once fired military 06 cases FLY up into my size die

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
As a youngster, I decided I didn't like the lube pad with anything - just a mess, for me. I used some RCBS2 and it was ok. I bought some Unique about 14 years ago and just emptied the first can this year. A little goes a LONG way. I sometimes wipe it on a rag and then roll the case in it but generally dip my finger and wipe the bottom half of the case. Wiping the case after sizing is all that has ever been required. Never stuck a case and never had to re clean them.

Charles P:  "I touch the case neck to the dab, then use my thumb and forefinger to spread it around the neck."   If I ever lube the neck, before long I'm getting dents on the shoulders. All the necks ever get, if anything, is a very light wiping from a lube rag. You got a secret?

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 03:45:31 AM »
I like Hornady One Shot, I've stuck a couple cases, but it was my fault for getting in a hurry and not waiting a few minutes as directed in the instructions.  ::)

Tim
+1 here ... never had a stuck case.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:56 AM »
love the hornady one shot.

i am going to try the cooking spray though...sounds like a good idea.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Dave1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »
GB

Yes, the bottle of RCBS case lube spray I bought is the one you described that has the little plastic pump "lock" that has to be pushed in and disengaged before you can twist the pump around and into the pump/spray position.  Once the pump has been moved into the unlocked position, it still did not work.  I then noticed the clear plastic pick up tube inside the bottle had come out of the bottom of the pump.  I assume that is the problem but the liquid is above that, so maybe the head is clogged up as you mentioned.  I intend to return it for exchange at the store whenever I get over that way again.

Dave

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
Imperial  ;D.......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
I like Hornady's  white lube in a tub - it may be called Unique.  I just dip my index finger in it, touch my thumb and index together, twirl a case in my lubed fingers and size the case. If I haven't used a set of dies for a while, I'll lube up the first 2 cases more heavily and run them in the die. After that just a very tiny dab on the shoulders and down the case body is plenty.

This stuff is softer than Imperial and easier to apply. And it wipes off with a paper towel.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
I was hoping someone had experience with Redding Imperial Application Media - seems like a simple dry lube solution.