Author Topic: Design for a simple linstock?  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Squire Robin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Design for a simple linstock?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
Additional footage, Hmmm...

Last time I posted a movie someone created, "Suicide with a cannon".

Whatever, here 'tis. It looks a lot bigger when Richard does the loading ;D

I'm still looking for a tape measure to do the length, just got collared for a couple of honey do's, back soon

Robin

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aes7tKAgRVw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aes7tKAgRVw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
Measurements...

Tape measure goes in 43" to the muzzle.

The bore was originally 3.6" or thereabouts, now rusted out to 3.7" for most of it's length.

At the bottom is the tapered iron cup that held the spike in.

The cup is 5" long with an internal 3" diameter hemisherical bottom. After the hemishere it flares out to 3.3" diam over a length of 3.5"

I made my rammer head 2.85" diameter for a loose fit, which is what I got  ;D

The rammer in the movie is 52" long so it projects about 10.5" when all the way down.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
Something that I notice a lot is that people often don't concern themselves enough about being directly behind a cannon.  Please remember - equal and opposite reaction = the cannon will move backward when it's fired, and if you're too close, you can get injured.  Precautions should be made to ensure risk is minimized at all times while the cannon is being loaded or shot.

Have fun...be safe.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 03:41:43 AM »
For those who haven't been on the board all that long, this is Squire Robins video that he posted here several years ago.   This video was hijacked from this board, edited and posted on you tube without Squires knowledge.    It was also posted on other discussion boards also without Squire Robins permission.

Although the video full off unsafe practices, Squire Robins has not reposted it here again to be further humiliated. He is looking for help in cleaning up his shooting process.

The video he posted in this thread a couple of days ago is a vast improvement over the one he post two years ago.

So offer him suggestions and not ridicule.  It serves no purpose to ridicule him, it’s better to educate him.   

If we ridicule him he will just go away and continue in his unsafe manner and probably have an accident, and bring discredit on all cannoneers.  If we offer constructive criticism he will become a safer shooter and an asset to the cannon shooting community.

So help him, and leave the cheap shots out.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 06:25:36 AM »
Squire Robin ,I did not read your post clearly , I thought this was something you scared up on the net .

I didnt realize it was you and Richard making it . I did not mean to ridicule you , I would never insult you, so for that I am sorry .  :-[

My concerns were the repeated movements in front of the muzzle :o ,and at a couple times Richard was just standing there in front of the cannon ....?

NICE Cannon BTW Where did you find it ?

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
NICE Cannon BTW Where did you find it ?

Hi Gary

Originally made for a schooner of the Reed Shipping Line trading out of Cardiff.

The South China Seas became too dangerous with the outbreak of WW1 in 1914 so they retired the ship as a tourist attraction in Newquay, spiking the guns in a most professional and determined manner.

Vandals set fire to her but the guns were saved and returned to a Reed descendant, the Grandfather of the gentleman in the picture.

They kept them either side of the driveway and his father did shoot a load of golf balls out of one.

Having decided to move to America he put the cannon on ebay, back in those days when you could put cannon on ebay. I got the pair with a last second bid.

You are forgiven, an easy misunderstanding  ;D

Robin

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
Squire R,
What's the approximate weight of your gunnades, and when you take one out to fire it, do you and your friends just muscle it in and out of the vehicle your using to transport it?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:15 AM »
Hi Squire,  If I read your post correctly regarding dimensions, you have 38" +/-    of barrell approximately 3.6 inches in diameter with a smaller 5.5" tapered powder chamber (cup) at the base. I'm assuming that you would only want the rammer to go to but not into the cup which will be filled with powder and/or filler. Looks like 48 inches total length with a tapered head of 3.5" should do the trick.
 If I have the basic picture correct we're ready to go. If not please advise so I can correct my plan.  Best Regards, LS
PS I enjoyed the "new" video too but can see why you call it suicide by cannon.
Lets see another after your rammer arrives. 
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 04:52:13 AM »
The suicide by cannon title was added when Squire's video was pirated and posted on You Tube

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:54 AM »
DD, So noted.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »
What's the approximate weight of your gunnades, and when you take one out to fire it, do you and your friends just muscle it in and out of the vehicle your using to transport it?

It weighs lots more than any scale I have can measure, I can move the small end sideways when it's on the floor but that's about it.

I take the engine hoist, I lift it and then move the car. Muzzle loading is an old man's sport, the muscles are still there but the joints are doubtful  ::)

Robin

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »
I'm assuming that you would only want the rammer to go to but not into the cup which will be filled with powder and/or filler. Looks like 48 inches total length with a tapered head of 3.5" should do the trick.

I do like to know the powder is under the touch before I ram anything on top of it, I wouldn't like to take it home loaded because I couldn't get it to go. That's why i cut mine to fit :o

If only I could fetch the durned cup out that would solve everything but it is stubborn. I have run a digi-cam down the bore and you can't even really see where it starts. Tricky.

Here's a pic someone sent me showing the new linstock in action...

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:53 AM »
So the "cup" is a foreign object that has been forced down the bore? Hmmm..  Interesting, I had though it was a reduced powder chamber like a howitzer.
In that case I'll simply turn the head smaller to fit, is your current 2.85 inch diameter adequate?  I wouldn't want to lug it home loaded either!
An alternative would be to have a worm so you could unload it in the case of misfire, also easy to make.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »
I wouldn't be shooting a gun that I don't have the ability to unload manually if necessary.  I'd definitely second the suggestion of making a worm.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
In that case I'll simply turn the head smaller to fit, is your current 2.85 inch diameter adequate?

I think I should get a better measurement because 2.85" is a bit loose. Give me a day  ;D

Robin

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »
Take your time and we'll do it right! I went back and read your older posts which cleared up a few misconceptions for me.  I have no clue how you could remove such a thing intact from the bottom of a hole and am thankful I won't have to do so.   Pete

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
Hi Pete

Slight family crisis distracted me from my true purpose in life, sorry about that.

3.1" is tight at the bottom, I think 3" would be just about perfect.

best regards

Robin

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39:45 AM »
Hi Robin, Consider it done.  Please PM me with your shipping address when you have a moment.  Pete

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Hi Pete

PM sent  ;D

This will be an excellent excuse to take the cannon out again. I need excuses, my wife thinks I am a bit silly taking all that iron out in to the woods for a couple of pops.

Robin