Author Topic: Design for a simple linstock?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Squire Robin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Design for a simple linstock?
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:46 PM »
After my last cannon outing resulted in a You tube movie Suicide with a cannon I want to try again and aim to be socially acceptable. Peer pressure is a terrible thing  ;D

The planned load is 2lbs of porridge oats over half a pound of black, suitable below the original 1800 service charge (6lbs over 2lbs). Have to make some allowance for it's years.

I took some bird scarers, (a 5/8 inch diameter smouldering rope with a firework attached every 4") removed the pyrotechnics, found it didn't burn very well so I added nitrate and lead acetate, probably a bit too much.

Need to make a linstock. Last time I was so busy unspiking the blooming thing I didn't have time to make one. I want a simple design with a good grip, what have you got?

Planning on two shots about an hour apart so it has plenty of time to cool down. Foil wrapped powder, polystyrene foam wad, thought I might wrap the porridge in a brown paper canister.

Your English chum

Squire Robin

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Design for a simple linstock?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:28:03 PM »
There's a design here that I like: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php/topic,65288.0.html

You can find this and other how tos in the sticky above: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,41634.0.html

Or in the other sticky above: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,89682.0.html

There are numerous other ideas for linstocks, as it's a simple device.  All you really need it to do is stably hold a piece of slow match.  Anything else is just icing.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:24:22 AM »
Hi Squire, how they hangin', and welcome back. :D
Here's a simple wood one.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:57:01 AM »
Hiya Boom 3

Thanks for remembering me  ;D

A giant clothes pin on a stick looks good to me.

(I seem to remember that's merkan for 'clothes peg')

Knew it had to be simple, couldn't stop myself designing iron serpentines  ::)

I'll post a pic when it's made

bestest

Squire Robin

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 04:55:50 AM »
Squire: If you want "simple" but with a touch-of-class, here you have the British, Irish, Hillbilly, Chinese and Brooklyn style.

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
Excellent, Rich, very clever! Now I've already had my full quota of chuckles for the day. The best two are the umbrella, (an Englishman like the Squire will love that one) and the back scratcher.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
Your clothes pin is too modern.  You should use one like this:

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »
Hey!  I may be a hillbilly BUT I am hi-tech 8)

Richard The Cob-Jobber
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »
I procured a handfull of those old clothspins, made a few linstocks, they work...nothing fancy like Richards tho...need to get thicker cotton cord. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »
After my last cannon outing resulted in a You tube movie Suicide with a cannon I want to try again and aim to be socially acceptable. Peer pressure is a terrible thing  ;D

The planned load is 2lbs of porridge oats over half a pound of black, suitable below the original 1800 service charge (6lbs over 2lbs). Have to make some allowance for it's years.

I took some bird scarers, (a 5/8 inch diameter smouldering rope with a firework attached every 4") removed the pyrotechnics, found it didn't burn very well so I added nitrate and lead acetate, probably a bit too much.

Need to make a linstock. Last time I was so busy unspiking the blooming thing I didn't have time to make one. I want a simple design with a good grip, what have you got?

Planning on two shots about an hour apart so it has plenty of time to cool down. Foil wrapped powder, polystyrene foam wad, thought I might wrap the porridge in a brown paper canister.

Your English chum

Squire Robin

I have found the following recipe printed in a 2002 issue of The Artilleryman makes perfect slow match every time:

How To Make Good Slow Match; No More Embarrassing Failures
The Workshop - By Wm. R. Anderson
Fall 2002

After 23 years of producing and using slow match, I had a bad batch. Total embarrassment. In the middle of an artillery demo I had to beg for match. Previously we had been the unit others came to when their slow match failed. Tony Meyers, former staffer from Fort Wayne in Ft. Wayne, Ind., rescued us by giving us match and his formula.

Back home, I felt I could no longer trust my decades old oft-renewed urine-colored mixture that I had so many times recharged by “guesstimation.” With my old mixture gone the way of the “Tidy Bowl Man,” I washed lengths of #8 100 percent cotton sash cord on gentle cycle in a mild mixture of laundry detergent and bleach. This operation removes the starch-like sizing from the cord for better nitrate absorption.

Next, the cord is air dried, naturally, as machine-drying will fluff the fibers, thus increasing the diameter while decreasing the length of the cord.

Using Tony Meyers’s recommended ratio of 6 parts water to 1 part potassium nitrate, I immersed the cord in a closable, non-metallic container. Because of the wash/dry procedure, a 24-hour total immersion is more than adequate. Supersaturating is not necessary.

Place the match, coiled flat, to air dry on a non-metal surface (a cafeteria tray is ideal), although this lengthens the drying time considerably. The match loses almost none of the nitrate and retains a consistent amount of the chemical throughout its length.

To assure a consistent mixture in the chemical bath, a specific gravity battery tester (see illustration) is not costly and worked quite well for our purposes. The $0.99 to $1.99 “float-the-little balls” testers cannot be trusted for accuracy.

The 6 parts water to 1 part potassium nitrate will have a specific gravity of 1.150 on the battery tester. Note that the tester must be held upright as shown by the vertical indicator. With this method, the chemical mixture can be renewed indefinitely and accurately.

In this age of synthetics it is often hard to locate 100 percent cotton cord with no synthetic fiber mixed in, either in the braid or in the core. If you haven’t experienced it already, the plastic will melt, then char and harden into a heat blocking ash that may or may not continue to burn. In my case, the 1-inch test burn was good but the cord failed in the field. This was a factor in my situation. Now nothing is left to chance.

At the risk of sounding like an “ad man” I recommend #8 100 percent cotton sash cord from Samsel Supply Co., 1285 Old River Rd., Cleveland, OH 44113. Samsel is a long-time supplier of marine, building trades, industrial products and gear and their 100 percent cotton sash cord is used by certain masonry contractors for specialized applications. The sash cord is available in different diameters, in hanks of 100 feet or in any specified length from 25 feet to 1500 feet from bulk, and is always in stock.

If I were in a real battle rather than an artillery demonstration, the day my match failed I would have died—for real! The choice is yours. Might-be-good-match or known good match. You know now what my choice is. My gun’s gonna fire. Regardless.
(About the Author: William R. Anderson from Ohio is a longtime occasional contributor to The Artilleryman. He is a lieutenant with the 7th Company, 3rd Regiment, 1st Continental Artillery, 1780.)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
     Squire,   Mike and I are pleased to see you're back.  We missed your regular postings on interesting subjects.  If you decide that the benefit of a back scratching feature such as Boom J. mentioned, outweighs the benefits of keeping it simple, you may want to consider a linstock like one we designed this summer for use with our Paixhans Mortar of 1832.

Welcome back!

Tracy and Mike

With a 7 foot solid ash pole, this one is good at lighting heavy mortars or back scratching, whichever, should the need arise. 

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »
Great article on making slow match !!!
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:01:39 AM »
Day before the shoot I finally do it  ::)

Meant to do it simple, got to the workshop, couldn't find anything to make clothes pins out of, had to make it with what I had ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions, these linstocks are durned curious things  :o

Best to all

Robin

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:56 AM »
Looks perfectly functional to me, Squire. :)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 04:27:40 AM »
When you use the thing ,I'd suggest going at it kinda flat In Mont. I used mine and the first try or two I was comming striaght down from the top .

It went off ok but each time it blew the ropes into its respective twines ! Much agervation and grief comes next !!

Some excess BP at the touchhole /vent tray helps alot as even our quills take alittle help usually .

YMMV

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 05:18:28 AM »
Nice design Squire. Looks like you have the proper size match also.  Some use match that is too small and wind up wiping it around the vent to get it to work.  Probably the first lesson one learns when using a linstock the first time is not to hold it over the vent.  The next lesson is make sure the match is snuffed out after shooting.  I found that a couple of turns of wire wrapped around the match will usually act as a safety and snuff it out when it burns to that point, at least it works for me on cotton match up to 1/4 inch diameter. 
Max

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 12:55:23 AM »

After all that I never went  ::)

Cannon was already for loading but Adrian, who was supposed to be driving, took to his sick bed and called off.

I can't do it myself anymore. I may not be able to sleep tucked up in my comfy bed but after a sleepless night I have no trouble dropping off while zooming round the London Orbital at 90 mph  ;D

Try again in January

bestest

Robin

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »
Squire Robin, Did you ever get the plug out of that gun?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
Cannon was already for loading but Adrian, who was supposed to be driving, took to his sick bed and called off.

Squire Robin,
Better luck next time. If that's Adrian Roads that is feeling down, I wish him a quick recovery

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
Here's an original I just found thanks to DD:
http://www.guns.uk.com/store/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=265

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »
Squire Robin, Did you ever get the plug out of that gun?

Not yet. I'm hoping a few more detonations could loosen the rust around it. You'd think half a pound of black might do the trick, wouldn't you? ???

It's very hard to get a hold on it. Easy when they hammered it in, easy for me to get a big pull with 16mm studding, it's gripping it that's the problem.

Robin

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »
If you are ever around a good blacksmith. Ask him about chiseling it out. It looks like a half hour job with a chisel to me. Also, there are chat sights for blacksmiths. Post the problem on one of them. And see what they say. Just my 2 bits.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »
Linstock worked well.

I still haven't got the loading quite right but it is improving so go easy on me  ::)

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFxgIpEOO_U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFxgIpEOO_U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Different Adrian, this one is much larger  ;D

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:09:44 AM »
What the heck??? ??? ??? ???
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 04:12:48 AM »
Squire,

Great gunnade!  It has charactor.  You can send it to me if you wish.  Start planning now and you can bring it to Montana if we shoot next year.

A few safety tips for you. I saw several things but will only point out one.  The others will give idea on ths other

I believe you were priming the vent with loose powder.  Don't have you body over the vent while priming.  Remember the column of fire that came out when the gun was fired!  Also the gentleman lighting the linstock should be far away from the loose powder and the cannon when he lights the linstock.  When he lights it he should not wave it all over the place throwing hot ember every where.  At least once I thought I saw embers fall off.  If they didn't they will.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 04:15:45 AM »
Zulu,

Squire Robin is in UK and is unfamiliar with the safety drills we practice and preach here in the U.S.  We are trying to help him be safe.

If you have any suggestions for him, please post them.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 04:24:05 AM »
Squire Robin,
I was trying to figure out what all that stuff was that was tamped down the barrel.  Whatever it was (maybe wadding?) I believe it was over tamped and with a ramrod that could have been designed better.  Keeping your hand open palmed on the shaft is the best way to keep your fingers in case of a premature firing.  Also a ramrod with a head that won't catch your hand if for any reason it becomes a projectile itself.
Nice gunnade!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:05:26 AM »
Very nice gun sir!  I was surprised by the lack of recoil with your load, what would a full service load have been?  If you will PM me your address along with bore length and diameter, I will make and send a new Mississippi rammer to you gratis, in the spirit of cooperation and keeping 10 fingers.  Best regards, LS
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »
Hi Little Seacoast

That's an incredibly generous offer.

Would it amuse you to see a movie of a 6 pdr Gunnade, on it's original carriage, c1800, probably made by Carron, being loaded and shot in an English wood using your Mississippi rammer?

If so, then the answer has to be "Yes please" ;D

The load was 2 lbs of porridge oats, wrapped in a brown paper canister for easy loading. Half a pound of black. Cavity wall insulation wads.

The camera microphone couldn't handle that kind of volume so you have to use your imagination a bit. Think LOUD.

The bore has a mild constriction at the back end. Stubbornly refuses to come out. I think I have the rammer diameter about right, can measure the length in a jiffy.

Your English chum

Robin

Edit: The service charge was 6lbs over 2lbs

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
I would love to see some additional footage of your cannon firing, truly inspiring to see something original doing what it should.  As a great fan of the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brien it's a treat to be able to add visuals to the printed word.  If you have sent your measurements, I have not yet found them. I will PM you my home E-mail address etc if it will help.
Best regards, LS
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens