Author Topic: Calculated Tables of Ranges for Navy and Army Guns  (Read 533 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Calculated Tables of Ranges for Navy and Army Guns
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »
CALCULATED TABLES OF RANGES FOR NAVY AND ARMY GUNS WITH A METHOD OF FINDING THE DISTANCE OF AN OBJECT AT SEA
BY LIEUT. W. P. BUCKNER, U.S.N., 1865

http://www.archive.org/stream/calculatedtable00buckgoog#page/n7/mode/1up
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Calculated Tables of Ranges for Navy and Army Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »
Thanks Boom, useful info.  I noted this was in something called "internet archive" but that there was a Google page at the beginning that sounds like it is explaining Google Books, yet the format of this internet archive thing is different. 

All of this makes my age-enfeebled brain hurt-if you have an explanation of the difference between these seemingly different systems both of which involve Google, I've like to know.  Thanks!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »
Great historical reference.

I wonder if anyone has done that for the really practical applications (for us) for golf balls and beer cans?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 04:08:44 AM »
And by the time you had gone through all that the enemy had taken your rigging and masts, holed your hull in 20 places, and shot away your rudder.  Because some cynical old gunner squinted his eye, checked the wind, judged the pitching of the ship, and had you ranged on the second shot. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
Thanks Boom, useful info.  I noted this was in something called "internet archive" but that there was a Google page at the beginning that sounds like it is explaining Google Books, yet the format of this internet archive thing is different. 

All of this makes my age-enfeebled brain hurt-if you have an explanation of the difference between these seemingly different systems both of which involve Google, I've like to know.  Thanks!

Cannonmn,
Google Books is evidentlly responsible for the digitized copy of this book, but its in the public domain. I copied the link from "Open Library."
http://openlibrary.org/b/OL6558597M/Calculated_tables_of_ranges_for_navy_and_army_guns.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 01:54:02 AM »
Thanks, I see now.  When I hit "details" on the page you linked, it gets me back to the more familiar format here:

http://www.archive.org/details/calculatedtable00buckgoog