Author Topic: re. cat sneeze load below  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Franklin7x57

• Trade Count: (48)
re. cat sneeze load below
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:34:31 AM »
I'd like to load a cat sneeze load in my 45-70. I've read the posts below and fast powder igniting with no problems. My question is my shots will be elevated, treestand shots. So the powder is at thebase of the bullet, should I use a poly square to hold the powder back towards the powder?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: re. cat sneeze load below
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »
With Trail Boss that would not be a problem.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem with most of the fast-burning powders.  Why not try testing the situation before you go hunting (if possible)?

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
I don't shoot a 45 70, but, I do know that pressure problems can arise from both high and low loads in many cartridges.  Just make sure that you are looking for primer flattening, hard extraction, etc.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline 45454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
The starting level with Trail Boss is what you want.
I'd suggest not going lower.
Stick to what the manual says.
No poly square is needed.
Those loads in the 405gr 45-70 are really pleasant to shoot.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:04:16 AM »
I haven't tried everything, but Bullseye, Clays, Red Dot, and AA#2 don't seem to care about powder position.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
I have some 38/357 loads that use very little powder.  I use a fired brass and cut discs from the foam trays that my beef steaks come in from the grocery store.  I make my cutter by opening up the primer hole in a used unsized fired brass and using a headed nail to push the disc out after it is cut.  I powder all of my primered cases, confirm all have same powder charge, add one foam disc, push disc against powder charge with a standard #2 pencil (eraser end) and then seat the bullet.

In my loads, this disc, cut and sized by the fired brass, is just oversized enough to compress a little in the sized case and it keeps the powder against the primer end.  I get low SD and have yet to get a squib load.

Some folks have said that using a wad in a case can cause rings in a chamber.  I have not found this to be true with my loads.  In preparing to do my own 45/70 loads, I have purchased fiber wads that are similar to original wads that were made for black powder loads.  I do not see where this use of wads can cause the rings, but I am not a "ring" expert.

The foam that I use appears to disintegrates and I have yet to find any trace of it in barrel or brass.

Good luck with your project.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
Foam disks from meat packaging.  Good use of available materials.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
Ahhhhh, the smell of roast beef at every shot!    :D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:47 PM »
Ah yes,the old foam disk from a meat packaging tray trick, I shoulda known.  Actually I've got to try that, thanks.

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 03:03:44 AM »
I am still using toilet paper in front of the powder, tear off a big enough piece and use a dowel to push it against the powder.  I was just playing with a 30-30 trying to get a quiet load.  The foam disk is a good idea but would not work in a necked cartridge.  Started with 2.0 gr bullseye and a 160 gr cast bullet, and kept on going down until it was quiet.  At 1.0 gr it was quiet enough that I had to look to make sure the bullet had made it out of the barrel.   I did pretty much the same with the 45-70, going down on the charge of Bullseye or 700X until it was quiet enough.   kitchawan kid mentioned Trailboss, a great powder in the 45-70 imo, and about all I use for shooting my trapdoor these days.  However, as pleasant as it is to shoot, it is not quiet in the recommended loads.  Has anyone tried Trailboss for cat sneeze loads?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 04:01:01 AM »
I have used Trail Boss in some handguns,45acp,38spc.,some so lite  you could race the bullets down range.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule