Author Topic: Looking for Black Powder near Tampa  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Sergiomalatesta

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for Black Powder near Tampa
« on: November 15, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »
I just got a new golfball mortar and need some f or ffg to burn in it, preferably Goex. All the shops I call have only the black powder substitute. Anyone know a place near Tampa (I'm in Dade City) that would have some? I'd rather not buy 5# online. I made an oak base this morning and am looking to shoot this thing.
Thanks,
Michael

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking for Black Powder near Tampa
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
Bass Pro in Ft. Myers or Orlando has it if you ask.  Probably the best over the counter price you'll find around here.  

This place is in Orlando.  I've never been there, and they don't list a price, but they advertise Goex.
http://www.buffalobillsshootingstore.com/mz_rifles03.html

The only other place I know is in Largo, and sells it for a lot more than Bass Pro.

I'd recommend buying it online, though.  You'll get it for nearly half the cost of buying retail.

Edit: Oh, and post up some pictures!

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Where is the place in Largo? that's close to me.
I'm sure you could get some at the local gun show, here is the schedule:
http://www.gunshows-usa.com/florida_gun_shows.htm

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:06:30 PM »
You'll have to ask at Bass Pro.  They keep it in the back.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »

Sergiomalatesta

Welcome new member to our board.

Come to the Hernando Sportsman’s Club this Sunday morning for our cannon shoot, and if they haven’t any to sell you in their clubhouse, I will bring a one pound can of Goex Fg and one in FFg that I will sell you. Your choice of either or both.

Here is the information on the shoot which is posted here under UPCOMING CANNON SHOOTS AND EVENTS, scroll down on page 2 and see the yellow color notice.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,109399.30.html

Below is the link to the Hernando Sportsman’s Club Range, located just 9.5 miles north of Weeki-Wachee and State Road 50 on Highway 19 north.

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/

Just ask for Cpt Ed.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:43:16 PM »
Where is the place in Largo? that's close to me.
I'm sure you could get some at the local gun show, here is the schedule:
http://www.gunshows-usa.com/florida_gun_shows.htm
Bill Jackson's on US 19, but they charge about $27/lb.
http://www.billjacksons.com/about.php

I think Bass Pro was about $20-21/lb., and of course, ordering online you can easily find it for ~$13/lb.

I've never seen it available at any gun shows in Tampa.  It's hard to find much at all in the way of BP stuff, though I picked up my first pistol (a Pedersoli Kentucky) at one of them about 6 yrs. ago.  I saw someone selling Pyrodex, but I never touch the stuff, and definitely not for cannon.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »
I doubt you will find anyone hauling bp around for sale to gun show, the requirement for a magazine,

and fire safety & the local visit from the fire marshal would probably prohibit it.  I lost tables once at the

Richmond gun show because the fire marshal decided they had too many! drove up for nothing! 

So they got the power.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 03:31:13 AM »
I haven't been to a gun show in quite a while, I thought it would be a good bet.
I figured Bill Jackson's would have it cuz that place is 1 stop shopping for the rich, cool store though.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 06:10:43 AM »
I think Bass Pro was about $20-21/lb., and of course, ordering online you can easily find it for ~$13/lb.

But if you are only buying one pound, add in the shipping and hazmat charges and you are right about the same price per pound.  
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Sergiomalatesta

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:13:16 AM »
Thank you all for all the information Sunday in Hernando sounds the best. I'll look you up Cpt. Ed. There's a Bass Pro in Orlando too but it's very hard to get to - surrounded by highways without exits.
I'll post a photo soon.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »

But if you are only buying one pound, add in the shipping and hazmat charges and you are right about the same price per pound.  
Agreed.  Actually, it'd cost more to order 3lb or less, but anything over 5lb is worth ordering.   Since my crew typically goes through about 25lb/event we usually order it.

I'm planning to go to the Hernando shoot, though I don't have any projectiles for my cannon right now, so I'll just be a spectator.  Should be a good time, and maybe I'll be able to take some pictures instead of shooting the whole time!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »
Agreed.  Actually, it'd cost more to order 3lb or less, but anything over 5lb is worth ordering.   Since my crew typically goes through about 25lb/event we usually order it.
I'm planning to go to the Hernando shoot, though I don't have any projectiles for my cannon right now, so I'll just be a spectator.  Should be a good time, and maybe I'll be able to take some pictures instead of shooting the whole time!
I wasn't sure where the breakover point is.  I get it by the case myself, so it is a LOT less expensive that way. Not to mention I don't know of any in the area that carry the real deal.

Take pictures?  Bet someone needs crew and you will be right there getting all smoky and dirty.

At reenactments I carry some cards with me, and when people ask me to pose, I give them a card and ask them to email the photo to me, pretty please, since I don't have the time to take photos, what with talking to the public, getting set for battles, cleaning up after, and cooking breakfast and dinner. 

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »
Another idea - there are sure to be some Civil War reeactors in your area.  See if you can biggyback a pound or two their next order. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell