Author Topic: This old Redding scale still won't zero.  (Read 820 times)

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
This old Redding scale still won't zero.
« on: November 15, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
Please forgive me for reposting.  My computer refuses to let me attach pics to a REPLY.  If I attach them to an orginal post it seems to be OK.

I gave the scale brief cleaning.  In these photos, you can see that it took two small nails and the leveling screw maxed-out to get the beam to start moving.

I owned a RCBS 10-10 for many years and should have known better than to have the small tab to the left.  But this did not solve the problem.

My 10-10 and the many photos I found for this old Redding scale show the loop-and-pan set-up.  Where the bottom of the pan is recessed to sit inside the wire loop.  I assume this weighs a little more than this set-up in my photos.

My question is;  If I add some weight to the end of the beam where the double-nuts are, until it sits smack on zero, will the scale measure correctly?   

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: This old Redding scale still won't zero.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
You could weigh a bullet and get a good idea.  I assume a bullet is within +/- a grain of being accurate.  Have a friend bring his scale over for the fine tuning or weigh several different items in order to check you accuracy over a fairly wide range of weights.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »
"My question is;  If I add some weight to the end of the beam where the double-nuts are, until it sits smack on zero, will the scale measure correctly?"

Yes.   

It appears you are trying to zero the old scale with a pan and hanger from a Lee scale.  The origianal pan and hanger simply weighed quite a bit more.  Make the beam level with the left side screw, hang your pan on it and add enough weight to the nuts to bring it to a rough zero, finininsh with the leveling screw and all will be well.

It's a dead-on accurate scale but you will soon see why men stayed awake at night trying to think of a way to quickly stop the swinging without affecting accuracy.  Magnetic dampening was the correct answer!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »
I just took a penny, a nickle, and a quarter to the drug store and had them weigh them for me.  I added weight to the end of the beam till it was possible to zero the scale.  The units-of-measurements he gave me were in grams like medicine is weighed.  The conversion table was easy to find online.  This little scale is dead-nut, smack-on exactly accurate!

He didn't weigh the dime I gave him and didn't give me the dime back either.  I guess the dime rolled under something or somehow got lost.  LOL

Just in case you were wondering;

Quarter=87.6866
Nickle=76.5907
Penny=47.0532

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »

He didn't weigh the dime I gave him and didn't give me the dime back either.  I guess the dime rolled under something or somehow got lost.  LOL

The dime should weigh around 35 gr. or 2.268 grams according to the U.S. Mint  ;)
http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=coin_specifications

Bill

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »
Adding weight to the pan, (the dead load) will not change the lever rario of the scale and it will weigh accuratly. I happen to work on scales for a living.  ;)

In fact when I first started in the buisinass, I was having a problem figuring out how to zero a fan scale and when I asked, old Dick said well ya just add weight to or take it out from under the platter you dumbXXX.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.