Author Topic: lee collet die  (Read 704 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
lee collet die
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
was loading .22-250 tonight. i have not used the collets much.

but as i seated bullets i found little resistance.

then i realized i could grab the bullets and spin them in the brass, while seated. not good.

how the heck do i get this stupid collet working??

I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: lee collet die
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 04:13:58 PM »
See the collet die info on Lee's website under Dies and die questions.

Tim

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
hm so maybe i am not giving it enough strength...

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
tim, do you get consistent neck sizing with this? do you use one?

i mean, i know if some are loose and some are tight the group isn't going to be the same.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
tim, do you get consistent neck sizing with this? do you use one?

i mean, i know if some are loose and some are tight the group isn't going to be the same.

Mine are consistent, best I can tell.

For my 222, I use a hand press, reef down on it, turn the case 90 and hit it again.  Good bicep workout.

For my -06, I bang it once in a challenger.

Both those guns shoot great.

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
the full length sizer leaves a tight fit when i seat the bullet.

the collet-sized brass just lets the bullet slide in. hardly any pressure.

this normal? i am an RCBS guy, haven't used much lee stuff, other than the press.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
mjbgalt, did you look at the help videos while you were at the Lee Website? If not, click the help videos and find the video for adjusting the collet die. You'll have to download it, but it shows you the proper way to use the die. Get the video, adjust the die correctly, love the die forever. At the moment you are not using it correctly if you have that much slop upon seating a bullet. Mine are tight enough to need a bullet puller to get them back out of the case after using a Lee Collet Neck Sizer.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »
just watched it and then went and tried again. it seems fine now.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
Cool, and ncsurveyor is correct about doing one press and then turning the case in its shellholder 180 degrees and then doing another press with the same amount of pressure. ncsurveyor said 90 degrees and that might work. I use 180 degrees because it seems like that would place more equal pressure on the neck of the case.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »
The Lee Collet Die produces ammo with very little runout.  It is a nice product, and a pretty cool idea.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:36:12 PM »
Hmmmm I happen to like the collect dies and only once have I noticed not enough neck tension and that was the other week when sizing soem 222 rem cases. Stupid me had not cammed the press over but a simple adjustement and all was well ;). These .222 Rem cases of Sako manufacture don't require much effort to size, I should have realised it was too easy  :-[ :'(.

I am quite amazed how many people don't seem to actualyl read the instructions that come with these dies  :o after all if something is different surely you read why it''s different and how it works  ???

One thing I will mention is that after several loadings the shoulders may require bumping back to allow easy chambering  ;) I found this when I first used a Collet die in a Ruger No1B in 300 Win mag. After 4 or 5 loadings the shoulder needed bumping. I have not found that to be required as yet with the .222  ;D

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:50:34 AM »
these were used, and did not come with instructions.

i think "screw in die. move handle up and down" would have been simplistic.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:04:31 AM »
Ahhhhhh  ???  :( but you didn't say that they were used and you didn't have the diestructions  ;) .Glad it's all worked out now though  ;D

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 04:13:45 AM »
One thing I will mention is that after several loadings the shoulders may require bumping back to allow easy chambering  ;) I found this when I first used a Collet die in a Ruger No1B in 300 Win mag. After 4 or 5 loadings the shoulder needed bumping. I have not found that to be required as yet with the .222  ;D

Same here.  I'm on my 10th salvo on my current 222 batch without FL sizing.  Just trimmed them though.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 06:46:55 AM »

"the full length sizer leaves a tight fit when i seat the bullet. the collet-sized brass just lets the bullet slide in. hardly any pressure.
i am an RCBS guy, haven't used much lee stuff.."

The Lee collet die is great BUT it does some things most of us are unaccustomed to seeing.

First, FL dies size the neck well below proper neck ID and then the expander rarely re-expands the neck as much as it should be for least bullet run-out.  We grow accustomed to that excessive bullet seating pressure so it becomes "right" to us and it does work, in that the ammo goes BOOM.  But, any expanding the bullet has to do beyound maybe .002" or so, is irrelivant to actual bullet tension, the brass simply doesn't have that much elasticity so anything more is lost.  But, the excess seating pressure tends to push bullets in slant-wise, lost of unneeded runout.

The collet die's mandrel is only a bit less than bullet diameter.  After a case is properly sized, and after normal springback, the neck is the correct diameter for proper seating.  BUT, as we continue to use our cases the brass becomes work hardened and springback increases, eventually leaving us with insufficent bullet tension.  The solution is to get new cases or lap the mandrel down a thousant OR anneal the cases. 

Pressing harder on the lever, more than about 20# of pressure, is NOT the solution for more bullet tension.  The necks cannot possibly be made smaller than the mandrel so excess lever pressure only has the potential to damage the press or die.  In fact, the top cap on that die is aluminum by design so excess pressure will strip out those threads and not damage anything else.  It's a good tool.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
The collet dies definately give less neck tension than the full length dies.Feels like a couple are lighter than the others but they are uniform and make accurate ammo.One I only shoot targets single shot and have left as is.The other I polished the mandrel down as per instructions.I like 'em.