Author Topic: Duck Hunters - question  (Read 1731 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
Duck Hunters - question
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »
A co-worker of mine invited me to go duck hunting with him. I have a 20ga pump but would prefer to use
a 12ga. I have in stock a 12ga Pardner (NU) with modified fixed choke and a Pardner Turkey (NW) (fixed full choke camo'd). Which would make the better shotgun for duck hunting?
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Duck Hunters - question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »
I'd pattern them both with whatever loads you'll be shooting and see what works best.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
Thanks Doublebass - haven't patterned either one with steel shot....not sure, but from what I've been reading, the modified choke gun would be best for steel shot. I haven't had any experience with steel shot at all.
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
you are correct about the steel shot, a modified will (should) be better than the full or x-ful of the turkey gun, go for the modified, it should pattern like a full choke with steel where the full or x-full will most likely blow the pattern with steel shot. But do pattern it before you go out....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
Thanks - will try out the mod. choke. Any sugesstions on a good shot size for ducks?
Also, how many of you out there actually duck hunt with a single shot?
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »
Agree in general with modified choke choice.  Harder steel shot usually patterns tighter than lead.  Are you planning to do 'pass shooting' at longish ranges (40yds or maybe above) or decoyed at under 40yds?  Usually need to move up (down by number) a couple shot sizes with steel.  I suggest using #4 or bigger for ducks.  20ga is fine for decoyed ducks, use 12ga for longer range.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
You want to shoot the modified.  Don't waste time patterning, you want to shoot the modified.  If you're shooting big ducks you want 3" 2s-4s.  If you're shooting little ducks you want 2 3/4" 4-6s. 

I don't, and wouldn't, duck hunt with a single shot.  Way too many ducks get butt shot and require a flying follow-up.  If you  had a 3" 20ga pump with a modified barrel that's what I'd use before a single shot 12. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:37:53 AM »
I don't duck hunt because I don't care for duck.  A friend of mine from lower MI is a duck hunting fanatic.  He annually follows the migration from Canada to Mexico, and I know he frequently expends all three legal loads.  No, I wouldn't take a single shot.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:19:04 AM »
Tks for the replies. Not sure but think he has decoys. I do have a modified screw-in choke for the 20ga pump. Hopefully I can find some steel shot for the 20ga around here. Most of what I see on the shelves is
12ga. I guess a single shot would not be very advantagious for duck hunting, but sure would be fun <G>
 :D  Tom
Thomas B.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »
where you located? i know all the big stoes in the tricities have 20 gauge steel (walmart, outdoor warehouse, and ranch and home) also if your shooting a 870 pump the walmart in richland has 20 gauge choke tubes for 8 bucks
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline duckaroni

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »
I would use the 20 pump..

If you can use the Remington HD loads, you will hammer them. With 20g steel in an un-patterned gun, I would keep your shots real close...

The Remington HD is real good stuff, and real expensive. But that is what I shoot, as there is a huge difference between steel and lead. You can order it at Cabelas..And the IC choke with the HD, and Mod with steel. Good luck!

Offline duckaroni

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »
Ah, re read my post. The Remington HD is a non-toxic so it is legal..

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 11:27:41 AM »
I think one important thing that seems to have been missed here is that you should shoot the gun that you shoot best. I have not hunted ducks with a single since I was a kid but killed a few with my 20ga topper ,mod choke,using 3" No.2 steel. I was the gun I had back then. I've shot a few Geese with my 12ga TDC in the last few years. They appeared to be just as dead as the gees shot with autos and and expensive O/Us.  Very seldom do the 2nd and 3rd shots produce much. Just My opinion but I'd say use the one you shoot best.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 03:46:14 AM »
Before you use the 20 gauge with the modified screw in choke be SURE the choke tube is rated for steel shot. Otherwise you stand a good chance of ruining it. There are regular choke tubes for non-steel shot and special choke tubes which are made strong enough for steel shot and they are marked as such. Check the choke tube BEFORE you shoot steel shot through it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 05:16:35 AM »
Haven't been in several years but I did well with my 12 gauge Pardner, modified.  Used mostly #4 shot.  Sometime #2s when geese were also in play.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 01:12:02 AM »

After the hunt be sure to let us know how things turned out.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
Will do - looking forward to it.  :D
Thomas B.

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
Here is a pic of my Pardner with a nice woodie drake from the early season, The duck hunting is really starting to get good around my area now,  the river i hunt is the only open water around here and we had to break 2 inch's of ice to clear a hole open first thing this morning to set up the spread. Unfortunatly my 12 gauge repeater will be on duty for the rest of the season but the 32 inch barrel fixed full choke pardner with a load of 3" # 4's works great on the early season ducks when there is usually not enough birds coming into the decoys to bother with having a second shot. My single shot results for this season were 7 shots and 6 ducks all of them woodies like this one except for one mallard. I find you take better shots when you know you have to make the first one count when waterfowl hunting.

Hopefully the pic is attached this is the first time i have tried to attach one here.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:08 AM »
Surely this must be some kind of trick? Everyone know that waterfowl can only be killed by 3 1/2" shells being fired through autos or at least a pump gun?

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 05:57:09 AM »
When I lived in Delaware I got my share of Ducks jump shooting them. I used a H&R  20 with a mod. choke I bought  it fron guns and goodies  in the early 70's

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:07 AM »
From the 74to 83 a H&R 20ga that I bought at the hardware store in Harrington, Delaware was my only gun. Rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese, deer, quail, dove, even one woodcock all fell to that 20. I generally hunted with an old guy who also only used a single shot 16Ga H&R. When I hunted with folks that had autos I never felt out gunned and being a kid ususlly let them shoot 1st.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
I am the only single shot hunter between all my waterfowl hunting buddies. They couldn't believe when i came out at the start of this years season with the H&R. But our early season is perfect for it, not alot of birds around yet anyway. I definitely had a much higger success ratio then they did using pumps and semi-auto's and alot of times the only thing that kept us from getting skunked was the trusty H&R. Its my personal favourite of all my shotguns, the 32" barrel and fixed full choke with 3" Challenger # 4 steel shells  stoned ducks to 40+ yards for me this year and its nice to pack into spots because it's so light weight compared to my other shotguns. If it wasen't for the extreme weather conditions we have here now ( don't want to get wood stock covered in ice  ;D ) and the disadvantage of only have one shell when 20 birds + come into the decoy spread at a time,  i wouldn't hunt waterfowl with any else.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
I was in a gun shop the other day and actually saw a Ducks Unlimited 20 gauge MOD choke Pardner for sale with the medallion on the stock and Ducks Unlimited written on the receiver. Forgot to check the serial number to see when it was made.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
Surely this must be some kind of trick? Everyone know that waterfowl can only be killed by 3 1/2" shells being fired through autos or at least a pump gun?

I think that turkey 12g is a 3.5".
Something to think about while you are choosing.
Be ready to shoot good cause they will make fun of your "little" gun until you get some kills.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
I would like to try out the Pardner Waterfowl in 10 gauge, that would be the ultimate in single shot waterfowling guns for sure. Nothings better then a 10 gauge when your using steel shot.

Offline gary bartlow

• http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 06:14:25 AM »
Nothings better then a 10 gauge when your using steel shot.

I'm gonna disagree with ya there. Now back when we first had to use steel yea the 10 was the gun to shoot,but today with the advances in steel shot shells a 3" 20 ga or a 2 3/4" 12 is all you really need for ducks over decoys. I hunt with guys that shot nothing but 3 1/2" and I shoot 3". Once in awhile I'll get cocky and take the 20 ga or shoot 2 3/4" shells just to show them the extra horse power is not needed.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »
The 10 gauge is certainly much better then any 12 gauge 2-3/4" , 3" and any 20 gauge steel load. Some of the newer high density loads are potent no matter what gauge you use them from.  For ducks over decoys you can get away with a 20 gauge all i shoot is 12 gauge in 3" or 3.5" for all my waterfowl hunting,  but if were talking total performance on waterfowl from fields to lakes, greater canada geese to wood ducks the best by far is the 10 gauge as long as you can swing it fast enough. Overkill in certain circumstances maybe but they guys i know that hunt with them won't go back to anything else.

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »
one guy posted about shooting steel through fixed full choke........i thought that was a no no?????????????

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 04:43:50 AM »
It's no problem as long as the barrel is proofed for steel.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »
My H&R pardner model has a fixed full choke. I called the factory after i bought it and they said steel shot is fine but don't use any larger the size #2 shot. I only use #4 steel loads and the gun works really good with those. The problem with shooting steel shot through tight chokes like a full choke is it doesn't compress like lead shot does. the smaller shot sizes can reposition themselves inside the wad alot better then the larger shot sizes like BB & BBB can. Full chokes generally don't produce great patterns with steel shot but there are exceptions to every rule and my gun does pretty good with it in size 4 which is my favourite size for duck hunting, so i got lucky i guess ;D