Author Topic: Don't send you scope to ABO  (Read 1367 times)

Offline lamerabbit

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://airgunners.741.com
Don't send you scope to ABO
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
If you don’t know who ABO is,  they do repair work on optics including rifle scopes.  Since they are close by and after several conversations with there “operator,”  Shin, and the fact that they have had a good reputation for quality work in the past;  I opted to send my Redfield rifle scope to them for repair.  This as it turns out that this was a big mistake.  To begin with their customer service operator Shin told me that after they looked over my scope that someone would call me to give my and estimate on the repairs required.

However, this is not what happened, what I got was lied to!   The first lie was that someone would called me, before starting repairs.  I was told that there was only a 15 dollar charge if I did not want the scope repaired; I mean after all, if the repairs cost more than the scope is worth, well why bother, right. 

Well, no one called, but I did get a paper estimate, that stated that I needed 90 dollars more work on my scope, than the 38 dollars already done on it.  They say the scope tube is bent and that the cost to fix it is 35 dollars, but its not 35 it is 35 more on top of the 38 dollars that I have already given them.  If it costs 35 to fix, why are they going to charge me 73 dollars????

Second lie, recharging the scope with nitrogen gas is 8 dollars and not the 3 dollars that ABO’s Shin quoted me.  This may seems like a little thing, but when I asked Shin direct questions about the cost for rebuilding/tuning and such on my scope he was very evasive.  Yet after I got their price list, that is after they got my scope and my 38 dollars, only now do I get any information on what ABO charges for tune up and so on.  It would have been real nice if ABO had quoted me these prices before I sent them my scope and my money.

It seems to me that any repair company should have a repair list cost posted on their web page!  Failing that, at the very least their operator or what ever you want to call there customer service man, or the person that you talk to when you call the company should have this same price list for services, such as their “Tune-up Sunshine Eagle” or their “Sunshine Birdie Tune Up” in front of them, so when asked they can tell the customer what the charges will be……….

I have called them 3 times since getting their estimate and trying to get a final price, and/or to find out why a 35 dollar repair actually costs 73 dollars!   However, no one will call me back, and I am still waiting for that first phone call that I was promised.

My conversations with Shin at ABO, were not quick; they were long and I kept asking direct questions, however, the answers I got were very evasive as if they did not have set charge for their “tune ups” however, after a total of 6 different calls by me, and endless lies by Shin and ABO,  I filled a complaint with the BBB, and I may look into filling mail fraud charges against Them, since they use the US postal service in their scam.

At any rate, I am sad to tell you ABO has become noting but a rip off place.

Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Don't send you scope to ABO
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
Price doesn't sound much different than what Ironsight Inc charges, too bad they can't be honest up front.  :-\

Tim

http://www.ironsightinc.com/products.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:51:35 AM »
I hate to hear this as I have had excellent work done by them in the past, also on a Redfield.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »
I hate to hear this as I have had excellent work done by them in the past, also on a Redfield.

+1
I had real good service from them and was very pleased with the end result.
they are not lightning fast however
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »
"the scope tube is bent ". What did you use this scope for, a tent peg? Sounds like the piece was in poor shape which would incur big bucks to fix.