Author Topic: Are Glocks Inherently unsafe?  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
Re: Are Glocks Inherently unsafe?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
also there are a lot of bs laws about texting while driving and such becoming common now, seatbelt laws and a crackdown on enforcement, 2nd A issues and ccw...  but cops drive while talking on radio and cell phone while they look at maps and offender records on a laptop bolted to the dash, and don't get thorough training in weapons handling and marksmanship, have to worry about pc lawsuits and getting fired, and get paid less and less every few years... bad deal there. 

I guess if I had to juggle all that I might not be able to handle anything more complex than a glock too (maybe due to hand trembling due to stress if not rage?!)  :P

Offline Savage

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
LOL, Squib!
At one time I thought all NDs were due to lack of training. It was my position that anyone who could tie their shoes, could be trained to operate a firearm safety. Now, having been on the line with some examples during qualls, I concede that I may have been wrong about that!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Squib

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
you made it though!

you didn't have to write hypocritical tickets to irate persons; after swerving around and almost wrecking you cruiser (on camera) while reading your laptop screen though?  it'll be a moot point if that camera on gun crap really catches on, there won't be room for any controls after the camera, tactical light/laser combo, and "magic firing-pin marking system that criminals cannot beat" system to identify and serialize ammo fired is added on.  I am not a fan of militarizing police, but I think it's gotten to the point that it might need to be done, at least in initial training and yearly qualifications.  Tactics and repitition cannot be beaten by gadgets but that's the civilian theme from my viewpoint.

oh yeah, no money for training and such but lots of cops are getting dodge chargers now- how cheap are those!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
I don't think any modern firearm in good working order and properly maintained is inherently unsafe. I do believe the opposite is true for the operators. Perhaps therein lies the problem.
Savage

I on the other hand think all guns are unsafe, depending of course on which end of it you are on.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Savage

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »
Love those Chargers! My old department has a nice fleet of black ones.
Savage

Offline Squib

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
chargers and glocks...  :o

pampered                               a better question regarding glocks, at least for uniform carry I think, is holster selection.  high retention means straps usually and that can mean an nd if one gets in the triggerguard... I'm of the opinion that a glock should be in a very tight opentop leather (1st) or kydex (2nd) scabbard type (or fobus).  for what it's worth I don't like hammerless semi-autos ccw for the most part anyways- I fear that the slide will go out of battery and snag clothing, pinch, or collect grit while open and jam up if not cleaned twice a week (hammers provide tension on the offsafe pistol- most don't go on safe while the hammer ain't cocked, I carried hammer down)... plus I'm not wild at ALL about a chambered round with no safety when I'm not aware and actively handling the gun.  had any duty gear hang-ups savage?  I hear lots of stories about windbreakers and drawstrings.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 03:56:31 AM »
Squib, I would agree with you about the holster issue.  I like the Safariland Custom Fit myself and have three of them for three different weapons.  But I would say that for uniformed LE use, some type of retention (other than friction) would be necessary.  As for the hammerless semi-auto for concealed carry, I would have to disagree.  The less there is to snag, the better. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
Squib,
No wardrobe malfunctions with my Glocks or any other firearms. I haven't used a thumb break holster for a pistol in 20yrs. My last uniform holster was a level ll Safariland SLS. I am a fan of the kydex holsters for concealed carry, both OWB and IWB. They retain the gun quite well without any external retention straps or gadgets. I also "Look the Gun" into the holster. Much safer that way, and if I'm holstering the gun, the threat is passed.
Savage

Offline Squib

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »
yeah, blind is scary... it never comes up with ccw though with visual inspections and such (as I practice).  I like straps for hunting, no other time except on a belly band though.  as for the pro-hammer semi-auto stance, I am paranoid with a chambered round so I like a downed hammer to hold the slide shut and there is no worry about a loaded firing pin... hammer back during the draw.  we all have a thought in our head about how WE need to do it OURSELVES though, and options are good.  good luck to all of you, you participants have sharp minds and that's #1, gear is second.

ps- while carrying and methods thereof are arguable, the glock is an excellent car gun (or general shtf/open combat)... that's what mine is primarily for.

Offline Glock Doctor

• Glock Magic!
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
1. Glocks have too light a trigger. 
Answer:  Ridiculous! 

2. Glocks do not have a manual safety. 
Answer:  That's true; and therein lies Glock's greatest mechanical fault.  The necessary conscious decision to, 'go hot' has been removed from the mental decision making process. 

3. Glocks do not have a magazine disconnect. 
Answer:  So what?  In the past 40 years I've only heard of two police officers who relied upon a magazine disconnect in order to save themselves from being shot after their pistols had been wrenched away from them.  With what the average gang member knows about firearms today, this old ploy is meaningless. 

A magazine disconnect is not a necessity.  The vast majority of the time Cooper's Four Rules of Gun Safety should suffice to cover any and all other situations.  (Your safety is between your ears - Right!)   ;)

4. Glocks suffer more “kabooms” than other handguns. 
Answer:  Well, there's no doubt that Glocks have done exactly this.  (Two of mine did.)  We, all, need to recognize and understand that Glock, GmbH, has used the ingenuous and gung-ho American gun buying public to field test all of their new, 'plastic wonder pistols' in order to finally achieve that infamous, 'Glock Perfection' these  pistols are now justifiably well known for. 

5. Glock’s customer service, when good is great, but when bad, is abysmal. 
Answer:  Unless you're looking for a free pen or a key chain Glock factory service absolutely stinks - Period.  I honestly believe, in fact I am convinced, that Glock factory service is the worst of its kind in the world. 

In all the years I've been shooting and with all of the guns that I've owned, Glock Tech Support is the only group who has repeatedly lied to me.  These guys have turned the expressions:  'Are you sure it's not the ammunition?' and, 'Are you limpwristing it?' into industry and gun forum cliches. 
‘Life Is Karma.  It Reflects Both Past And Present Circumstance.  Our Time Here Is Short; So Choose Carefully And Behave Well; For, All Of Your Tomorrows Are Presently Being Decided.’

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2011, 03:30:49 AM »
The trigger safety is manual  ;)
the disconnector is great if you have children or travel with a gun and have to leave it from time to time  :-X
Had Glock repair a gun . Sent it to then and a week later had a like new gun back. What's bad ? ???
Glock is not my favorite gun , the trigger stinks IMHO and I don't like plastic but lets be honest they offer reliablity at a cheap cost.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 05:12:50 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2019, 02:40:35 AM »
safety is between your ears. Sadly some mothers pumped out units with poor ones.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2019, 04:39:02 AM »
Totally agree. Mechanical devices on guns don't make them safe, only folks who know how to use them and are safe in their use of them do that. The one thing all of my home defense/self defense pistols have in common is no manual safety on them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2019, 06:49:40 AM »

I will reiterate..."no".  8)
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2019, 12:37:16 AM »
maybe a half price sale would get me to buy a black gun with a safety but even then id have to seriously have a need for it.
Totally agree. Mechanical devices on guns don't make them safe, only folks who know how to use them and are safe in their use of them do that. The one thing all of my home defense/self defense pistols have in common is no manual safety on them.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2019, 03:18:47 AM »
Glock pistols only go off when the trigger is pulled. Every time.  ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2019, 09:10:28 AM »
Glock pistols only go off when the trigger is pulled. Every time.

Yup.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 04:04:10 PM »
My Ruger LC9s Pro has a much lighter trigger than any Glock that I've owned, plus all of the evil enumerated things that people think are bad. I won't buy a pistol that has a disconnect. My CZ 75 SP-01 does have a safety, and it too has a wonderfully light trigger.
None of the pistols that I have had any problems about firing when they weren't supposed to.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Savage

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 11:32:07 PM »
Hello everyone, it's been a while. That life thing ya know.

Let me just say, any properly operating firearm is as safe as it's operator. So many shooters now days have never owned a pistol with a manual safety. They have been brain washed into believing that they won't be able to operate one under stress, that they are unnecessary at best, and even suicidal. By their outright refusal to own a pistol with a safety, they are missing out on the joy of owning some excellent pistol platforms. Surprisingly, no one seems to have a problem with military and hunting firearms with those pesky little levers and buttons.  So no, Glocks are not inherently unsafe, all guns require the same trigger discipline, it's all on the operator.

Tom, I bought the Ruger LC9s Pro. Couldn't pass it up for the price. Excellent little gun with the best trigger out of the box I've found on a striker fired gun! Very accurate, and Ruger tough.

Savage 

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2019, 07:36:27 AM »
I'll stick with the CZ 75 compact. And when the single stack model comes out I'll buy one of those.
They have manual safety you don't have to use, a safe half cock, single and double action.
What ever you want to use. About like a Berreta 92, only smaller and with an all steel frame.

I don't dislike the Glocks my wife has a 43 that she likes, they point like a Luger. I just prefer to having a hammer.To each his own I guess. 

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
I've known two people who have shot themselves with a Glock. One was killed the other severely wounded.
Does that make the Glocks unsafe? Nooo, it turns out both of these guys were drunk as a skunk and playing
around with a loaded gun. That will do it every time no matter what kind of gun it is.

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2021, 12:20:03 AM »
Sometimes I carry without one in the chamber if it doesn't have a mechanical safety, depends on what I am doing and where I am going. I have M&P's and Glocks, both are good but do wish I had spent my money on a CZ with hammer and safety. For this reason, I sometimes carry my 1911's which to me is still the best pistol ever made. Lets face it ,people sometimes have their head up their butts when holstering and un holstering a pistol without a safety. Need I tell you?
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline Dee

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2021, 01:32:46 AM »
Well, Glock does have a safety. A safe action on the trigger.
I've carried them, am a Glock armorer, but always in a holster. They ain't a "pocket pistol".

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2021, 02:08:48 AM »
Well, Glock does have a safety. A safe action on the trigger.
I've carried them, am a Glock armorer, but always in a holster. They ain't a "pocket pistol".
Somehow I knew you would come along to put your two cents in. I ain't no cherry boy. I've heard it all.
NRA Member

Offline Dee

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2021, 02:26:44 AM »
Well, I never dreamed I was gonna offend on such an old thread, so I guess between us, we now have 4 cents.
But I doubt you've "seen it all" or you wouldn't be so easily offended, and you wouldn't have to tell me you had. Have a good day.;)

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2021, 02:39:48 AM »
Well, I never dreamed I was gonna offend on such an old thread, so I guess between us, we now have 4 cents.
But I doubt you've "seen it all" or you wouldn't be so easily offended, and you wouldn't have to tell me you had. Have a good day.;)
Well you won't have to worry about my visiting your gossip center no more so you can go back to what you know best. Cat poop ! I'm done with this forum. I came here thinking it was better then some. I was wrong.
NRA Member

Offline Dee

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2021, 03:35:37 AM »
Well muskie, on May 8th, on the thread; Test Driving the Glock 43 (another older thread), you complained that it was a shame not very many responded to such threads. I respond to such a thread to make conversation, and you "twisted off" on me.
As I said, I wasn't trying to offend, but 238 posts to this forum in 16 years tells me you must "twist off" a lot, if you don't approve, or misunderstand the conversation, which you said you do in the same thread. So I don't feel guilty for your leaving. Again. Its what you do.