Author Topic: Sightron  (Read 926 times)

Offline sa doc

• Trade Count: (0)
Sightron
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
Hi Guys-
     I don't see Sightron mentioned much on here and was looking for opinions. I have generally have used Leupold Vari X IIs/VX II's on all my rifles, but the price seems to have increased pretty dramatically in the last few years and I've decided to explre some other options. I've only had one problem with a Leupold scope and they fixed it within 2 weeks with no questions. Several of my Leupolds have fallen out of the jeep or been dropped   but are going strong despite the battle scars.I have 1 Nikon Buckmaster and 1 Burris FFII that haven't given me problems, but I've heard mixed opinions on warranty coverage.  I just bought a new rifle and decided to take a chance on a Sightron SII (not Big Sky)  3-9x42 that I found online for about $200. It seems like good glass for the money.    How do they hold up?  Has anybody had any warranty experience with the company. What does the scope compare to in the Leupold/Nikon/Bushnell/Burris lines?
Thanks

Offline JASmith

• Avid Poster
    • Shooter's Notes — Improving your sight picture!
Re: Sightron
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »
The Sightron scopes have a good reputation.  The Leupolds are excellent scopes.  I made my own purchase decision after looking at customer reviews in Midway's optics section: http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?tabId=10&categoryId=15273&categoryString=657***11392***11396***

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:29:17 PM »
I have a Sightron SIII that is the newer model.  Put it next to my Leupy Mk4 for the better part of a half an hour comparing the two side by side.  Sightron had slightly better glass, with more tacticle clicks in the adjustments.  Repeatability for both scopes on the range has been great.  You really have to search hard and long to find a better scope for the money.

Offline skyhigh_seller

• Trade Count: (57)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:10:54 AM »
I had a compact SII 2.5-10.  It was nice enough.  I believe they have a replacement warranty.  You have a problem, they ship you a new scope.  I did not ever have any warranty issues.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »
I own the SI 1 power by 20mm on my smokepole and this is a nice optic for our (WI)ridiculous scope law on muzzleloaders.  I looked through Nikons  "no power" scope and the difference was very clear with only a quicklook.  I give mine Two thumbs up.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »
I have an SII 1.5-6x42 and an SIII 1.5-6x50.  Both are great glass for the money.  Sightron boasts 98% light transmission on their SIII's and I think on their Big Sky's which is higher than anyone else will claim.  I have never used the warranty but I have heard nothing but good things about it.  A guy on another forum had issues with an older SII model that had been discontinued and they sent him a Big Sky as a replacement for no charge which is about a $200 upgrade for free.  I would put their warranty and thier glass up against leupold's any day.  The only issue with the Sightron is that they are being discovered more and more everyday and it is getting harder to find the really killer deals.  I paid $300 for my SIII which listed for close to $700 and $175 for the SII which listed for around $300 maybe a little more.  You'll be hard pressed to find deals like that anymore.  $200 is a good price for that SII and you should jump on it.  I think if you put it up against your VXII's and VXIII's, you will be surprised.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 01:10:43 PM »
i bought a S1 3x9 from ebay at the end of the summer new for less that $80 shipped and thought it was the best deal i have come across in a long time.  i was looking to only spend around $150 or so for a scope and i am one of those guys that will research for days before i buy.  there were a lot of good reviews about sightron and when i found it for so cheap i couldnt pass it up.  after looking through the nikons and such scopes i could not tell between the two, but then again i am new to the shooting sport and maybe just dont have a trained eye yet?  i have been happy with mine.

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 04:50:01 AM »
I have two SII 3-9x42 and my brother has one. No problems to report. The glass quality has been rated somewhere between Leupold's VX II and III plus they have one piece tubes. One has been on a 338 WM with no issues. Excellent value and reliability.