Author Topic: Golf Ball Cannon---NOW A 1.5" Bore CANNON  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Golf Ball Cannon
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 06:26:31 AM »
OK I like the first 2 you put up!  I found this one to, it's the second one down on the page( I like the first one to because its simple) http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php?topic=44320.msg255863#msg255863.  If I was to do the one on the page attached, would anyone have a set of plans for the gun and the carriage??  I might do what was mentioned above and keep the bore at 1.5", but where and how much are the balls?? I saw the thread about steel golf ball size balls for a buck? But the machining might cost more than just buying 1.5 balls?

There are at least 10 guns on that page.

Offline 405winchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 06:40:34 AM »
OK I like the first 2 you put up!  I found this one to, it's the second one down on the page( I like the first one to because its simple) http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php?topic=44320.msg255863#msg255863.  If I was to do the one on the page attached, would anyone have a set of plans for the gun and the carriage??  I might do what was mentioned above and keep the bore at 1.5", but where and how much are the balls?? I saw the thread about steel golf ball size balls for a buck? But the machining might cost more than just buying 1.5 balls?

There are at least 10 guns on that page.

Offline Double D

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 06:55:34 AM »
Okay, gotcha, read the whole post!

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 07:19:52 AM »
ok

Offline Double D

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 08:09:58 AM »
ok

That's Me that needs to read the hole post....

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
don't worry about it Winch.............drawings are for you............last bit is for Rocklock..........he's just got his diploma from casting college...............and going for his Doctorate. You'll learn the Forum speak as you go along.Best way to learn is to have a go at it...........you want a good example..........Rocklock.........wanted to do it...........went after it.............did his homework.........got some help on here..........now he's just about ready to take on the drop dead gorgeous...Carronade.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »
winchester are you going to be turning this barrel   if you decide to go for it?

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
Yes I will turn it and taper it from the rear to the front and bore holes on the side for the trunnions and weld them on. Still need some drawings for the wagon wheeled carriage! Anybody??

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
need to give some info on barrel............only recently I was looking for wheel drawings.........and a certain young man showed a little taste..........then told me a good place to buy copies...........but this time it was good advice............and good value for money.............go online   look for hobby's..........(name of company)  go plans..............wheels..............JT206 AND 1514p...........they're in London but mail worldwide.............somebody will have drawing of carriage............get online and start sniffing around .......do some looking.

Offline Double D

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »
Those wheel plans that Carronader is talking about Hobby's are available form http://www.wildhorsebooks.com/Model%20Vehicle%20Books.htm

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
I already have a set of 24" wooden wagon wheels, so i don't need to make them, just the rest of it! ;D

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
SO I have a question.  Would the metal plug be ok at the end(in the barrel) where it goes from 1.5" to 1.25", or would it break or get damaged when firing?  Any help would be great. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »
Dont forget the taper ..

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »
No the barrel will be tapered, just a rough drawing for my machine shop guy.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 01:39:19 PM »
If you are shooting golf balls, I think you want a sub-chamber. Without one any practical golf ball launching charges will be very short and fat.

I would guess that without a powder chamber you would be dealing with charges in the order of only 1/8 to 1/4 " long.

Three problems with that, at the very least. The first problem is getting it to go down straight when you load it. The second is getting consistant ignition from a short, fat charge. The third is getting the fuse hole placement correct, as it wants to clear the back of the powder charge bag but not miss it from the front either.

Offline Double D

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »
I'm sorry, but where is your plan?  How do you know you need 24 inch wheels you don't even have a plan. If you are going to do this do it right.

Here use this:

Click on this link to get a full size copy to print out: http://www.fototime.com/692181FC7D2B114/orig.jpg

Here are the other pages in the plan set.

http://www.fototime.com/58677E2ACCC83D1/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BD233237573BBE5/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/33868D6338DFCA1/orig.jpg

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »

Here is a simple drawing of my plug for the breech end. I know the plug should be about .003 bigger than the bore of cannon.

Offline Double D

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »
Your breech plug doesn't need to be that long.

Your bore is to small for a golf ball.

Your breech walls are to thin, unless this is just a liner.  You don't need the cover plate in the end as  long as the breech plug is shrink fit and welded per the N-SSA guidelines.

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
If you read my post it said "SIMPLE DRAWING"  MY BARREL WILL BE 4.5"   BORE WILL BE 1.5" SWITCHED SIZE DUE TO DIFFICULTY OF BORING THROUGH 24" OF TUBING WITH EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE.  MY PLUG WILL BE ABOUT 2-2.5" .  THE COVER PLATE WILL BE ON THERE BECAUSE I WANT IT THERE, AND IT WILL BE SHRINK FITTED AND WELDED. My question is about the arc on the end of the plug... is it ok? should it look different?
Thanks for posting the pics of the 3" Parrot, but the letters and numbers are so small I cant read them???

Offline Double D

Re: Golf Ball Cannon---NOW A 1.5" Bore CANNON
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
Fixed the links in my post to those plans.  If you click on them now they will come out full size now and you should be able to read them.

Here is what the breech plug should look like;

I do hope your cap lock key got stuck...typing all caps is used for yelling on the internet.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
you iz still a contender . I know you iz gonna be the Champ but wait until you get a few more wins before going for the belt. You'll get what you need for that one.

What??? ??? ???

I believe that is Rocklockese for encouragement.............. ;D Don't worry the new english / Rocklockese dictionary is at the publishers,
it took four Cambridge scholars 10 years to compile it ......... but it was worth the wait........ ::) 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »
Your breech plug doesn't need to be that long.

IMO, a 2.5" long plug in a 1.5" bore is a good length. You could make it shorter, but why?

For a barrel (not just a liner that has the outer barrel supporting the plug at the rear), a longer than needed shrink-fit area provides an extra measure of safety.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
Gary,  Kabar got a fix on the code.........move to #19......... 

Winchester ,   Hope you're using this information...........these guys been shooting cannons for many years...........many...many...many ...many years in DD'S case.............and you're getting this for free.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 03:56:07 AM »
Gary,  Kabar got a fix on the code.........move to #19......... 

Winchester ,   Hope you're using this information...........these guys been shooting cannons for many years...........many...many...many ...many years in DD'S case.............and you're getting this for free.

Oh no ! Not #19 , not yet anyway . Kabars   ...  'isze ' :D is comming along well , BoomJ is near a star at this point .

A man has too follow his dreams . And Cannonmn too is recognised for his work on "ezise"(C, how fexible it is ? e this time this time all differant the first time but it means the same time . If you want it to !

hERE IS A oLDIE but gOODIE ...Lets say you had a disagreement with someone at work

....to end it with style and a touch of classs , One would , say " Oh and have a nice day , A VERY A NICE DAY"

If one is to come off as Debonner and or Swavvy as well one would add "...a VERY ,VERY NICE DAY!

Of course your rube , boss , coworker, anyone really will be wondering why you are wishing them to have a nice day when you know he'd rather play Rambochett with you .

sycopothy

Many are called but few are chosen .

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:21 AM »

Many are called but few are chosen .

Gary

Sounds like a recruitment commercial for the USMC. The Few, The Proud, The Marines!
You're sneaky, Gary! It's good that Marines shoot cannons and make Smee's and Morko's, too.
Thankyou for your service!

Mark
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2009, 06:11:55 AM »
If you stick with the 1.5 inch bore, you will be looking for projectiles.

I have just started playing with 37mm launchers.

Amazingly enough, the 37mm hull ID is typically 1.5 inches. 35mm film containers fit perfectly. Specifically, look for the Kodak type with a cap that goes over the top, rather than the Fuji type where the cap goes inside the container.

The film containers can be filled with all sorts of things. For a cannon, filling them with concrete comes to mind. Powdered chalk mixed with sand  (for weight) is fun as well, but I would do that for light loads only.

Scrounge for them while you can though, as 35 mm film containers will soon be as rare as "Polaroid Swinger" film.

I don't think the plastic film container would hold up to a really whompin cannon charge, but they seem to be OK for casual plinking.

Rick

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2009, 06:26:54 AM »
I was looking at another thread about the steel golf balls from fox. I can just buy a quantity of 1.5" balls from fox for a buck a piece.  I think they will fly alittle better than a golf ball.

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »
Finally after a week my barrel came in!!!!

Now off to the machine shop tomorrow to get bore correct size and then start turning!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
Good luck , that kind of enthusiasum is contagous ! Fox balls are some sweet match grade ammo ! At $1 per ..... good deal .

Gary

Offline 405winchester

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »
Ken at fox sent me a 1.5" carbon steel ball sample, the measurement across both flats comes out at like 1.47" and around the biggest part of the ball it is 1.55", so my bore will have to be 1.59"-1.6".  I am going to call Ken tomorrow and ask if this size will be the normal size sent out.  Hope to have some more pics for you guys soon!