Author Topic: Carbide die for straight cased rifles?  (Read 767 times)

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Carbide die for straight cased rifles?
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »
 Does anybody have a carbide die available for 45/70? 375win? 405win? I would need only the sizing die obviously. Could a carbide die for another cartridge be modified to work? I have often wondered why I have never seen carbide dies for straight cased rifles.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Carbide die for straight cased rifles?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
tapered cases no can do. you may get buy with neck sizer only, maybe not

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
True on the tapered cases, but i do have carbide dies for my 357 Max carbine!

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
I have used my 45 Colt carbide sizer to neck size 45/70,  then flair the mouth and go on as nothing was different.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Johnny6gun

• Trade Count: (80)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
Lee makes a carbide die for the 30 carbine, it says to use lube in the paperwork. Thick wall cases need lube.

Offline vdubluv

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »
9mm parabellum is a tapered case. Just as tapered in it's short length as those "straight walled" rifle cases. I always wondered how that worked. I notice it undersizes the brass near the base/rim. Some one could make a carbide sizer with a second, smaller diameter ring further up inside the die to get the mouth smaller than the middle and the base. Why doesn't someone do it and patent it? I would if I had the funding. Any backers?
Ready to fight for Freedom!

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
Dear Flash, good idea I'll do it
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
 Winston Churchill

Offline brianscott12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
I have used my 45 Colt carbide sizer to neck size 45/70,  then flair the mouth and go on as nothing was different.
I'm gonna try that myself.
To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
One of the reasons carbide pistol dies do not require case lube is because of the relatively small surface area of the carbide sizing ring that engages the case wall. The small area reduces friction to allow lubeless resizing. A second sizing ring might create sufficient friction to require lubrication.

Dillon makes carbide sizing dies for 308 & 223 at least, but they require lubrication. Their main advantage is long service life in semi-commercial reloading operations.

Andy

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
Lee makes a carbide die for the 30 carbine, it says to use lube in the paperwork. Thick wall cases need lube.

I've got a set of those.  I didn't read the directions.  I also didn't stick any cases without lube, but they were extremely difficult to run through.  Just a little lube helped tremendously.  If I'd have known that I was going to have to lube cases anyway, I probably would have just bought steel dies anyway.  Oh, well.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 01:17:28 AM »
I somehow ended up with two sets of 30carbine rcbs carbide dies. I've never used them. I have seen recently titanium-carbide sizers. I always wondered if dimpleing in these straight[tapered] cases could be prevented by venting of some kind. Holes, grooves, rings?
 Winston Churchill

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 01:31:30 AM »
the only thing carbide on the dillon 223 and 308 dies is the expander ball. It is done to make progressive loading smoother.
One of the reasons carbide pistol dies do not require case lube is because of the relatively small surface area of the carbide sizing ring that engages the case wall. The small area reduces friction to allow lubeless resizing. A second sizing ring might create sufficient friction to require lubrication.

Dillon makes carbide sizing dies for 308 & 223 at least, but they require lubrication. Their main advantage is long service life in semi-commercial reloading operations.

Andy
blue lives matter

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
Carbide Dies in a 9mm are hard to size with the small short tapered case.  I had carbide dies for my Star Progressive reloader.  I had to lube about every other case just to make it a smooth operation, so, that is so much trouble that I just lubed them all anyway.  The carbide was a waste of money and as much effort as steel dies.

I'm sure that all Rifle "Straight Walls" are not cylinders.  They are Tapered for ease of extraction after firing in the chamber.  

However, the black powder crowd do get custom made Neck Sizing dies for all 45s, 38s and 35s.  I don't know exactly where they get them, but I was a spotter for 5 years and ran with the crowd. Didn't shoot that stinking sulfur, but I was in on their conversations with first hand knowledge.

One member mentioned the Carbide for the 357 Maximum. That is a true straight wall case.  It is just a little longer case than the 357 Magnum and nothing more.  Love that cartridge, though.

I have worked with 45-70s, 38-55s and the various 35 Maynards and etc..  They all require lube for full length sizing.  Carbide dies will require lubing the cases, as well.

My 444 Marlin cases are tapered as well.  I full length size the cases with the die backed off just enough so that the neck of the case works with the expander die and still holds the bullet firmly.  The cases fit in my Marlin just fine.  (Who says that "Micro-grooved Marlins don't shoot well?")

Harold Clark