Author Topic: sizeing 30-30 brass for 7-30 question here  (Read 309 times)

Offline hop

• Trade Count: (0)
sizeing 30-30 brass for 7-30 question here
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »
reseizeing some 30-30 brass to 7-30.  first time .I did my first round real easy ,dies set up as always for decapping and resizing.but it  did not resize all the way down the neck of the 30-30 brass ,  about half way down the  case neck.  looks like sh?".   I dont have a factory case to look at, I  tried it in my contender AND IT GOES IN THE GUN NICE AND CLOSES EASY,   IS THIS THE WAY THE BRASS SHOULD LOOK BEFOR FIREFORMING IT WITH STARTER LOAD   TOM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: sizeing 30-30 brass for 7-30 question here
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Yupper that's what they look like until you fire form them. The neck on the .30-30 is much longer than on the 7-30 so it forms a false shoulder where the case will expand and once it pops out it will look like it should. Most times fire form loads are very accurate as well.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »
Yep, that's how they look before fireformed.  The shoulder on the 7-30 is farther forward than on the .30-30.  When you fire your sized cases, the shoulder will move forward to where that step in the neck is.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »
hop,

As I mentioned in a PM, you should size the 30-30 case down the neck a bit at a time until it will chamber.  I don't think sizing it all the way down is the correct way to go.  You will most likely end up with a headspace situation and the case will not formfire as well as can be expected.  The Contender should close with a bit of resistance yet still allow the trigger to be cocked and able to fire the case...

Use the secondary shoulder to headspace the case in the chamber.  Yea, I know that the rim is the true headspace on a rimmed case, but the shoulder will insure a good tight fit in the chamber when it is fired.  Thusly, the case will fireform better to the chamber...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline hop

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
thanks all for the follow up  I did go to the manual and checked it with my caliper from the rim to the secondary shoulder made by the die and looks good   . just wanted to be certain . after getting this neck seized to my chamber  as discribed  by BCB (NICE FIT , SNUG CLOSE)  SHOULD I SEAT THE BULLET TO THE SAME SNUG FIT CLOSE IN THE CHAMBER        thanks again for the help  Tom