Author Topic: Case Dimple??  (Read 536 times)

Offline HuntAway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Their service for our freedom. Thank a Veteran!
Case Dimple??
« on: November 22, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »
Hello All,
Ok I've hit my first hurdle. I've noticed on some of my cases after I have sized them, there is a dent in the shoulder. So I have three questions.

1. What causes this to happen?
2. What can I do to prevent it from happening? Not all the cases I sized had this happen.
3. Most importantly, are they safe to shoot?

Thanks,

HA

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Case Dimple??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
A little too much case lube is the cause of the dimple. It is very common in such calibers as 3030 loadings because the case is so thin, and just like yours it happens usually around the shoulder of the case. It will not hurt the casing, and is safe to shoot. At the most it will very slightly cut back on case capacity depending on if it is a compressed load, and the powder and charge weight used.
It will not affect chamber pressure, and will disappear on firing.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
Corbide die (sizer button) will help because you will not need much lube.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline HuntAway

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »
Thanks guy's! Much appreciated.

HA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »
Yup that's a hydraulic dent. Like Dee told ya, back off on the lube.
 ALSO, take the time to clean your die out!! Lube accumulates in there and can also cause this to happen. its still too much lube, but it form accumulation!!! Its a good thing to clean your dies out once in a while anyhow!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
Yup that's a hydraulic dent. Like Dee told ya, back off on the lube.
 ALSO, take the time to clean your die out!! Lube accumulates in there and can also cause this to happen. its still too much lube, but it form accumulation!!! Its a good thing to clean your dies out once in a while anyhow!

CW

I actually learned this lesson the hard way, and wasn't even denting cases.  I got a Federal brand .308 Winchester case stuck in my Hornady full length sizing die.  Too much lube had built up, so I couldn't get the case neck to come back down over the expander ball.  Every time I tried to pull it down, the expander ball would pin the case neck to the outer wall of the die.  I had to disassemble the die, leaving the expander ball in the case, then cut the case open to recover the expander ball.  I cleaned my dies before reassembling them and the problem went away.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:41:39 AM »
if that happens again, try putting the whole thing in the freezer for an hour or two. the brass contracts faster than the die, and they will come right apart.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline HuntAway

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
CW, Good tip on cleaning the dies. Never thought of that. What would you use toclean them? Thanks

MJB, Cool idea. ;) Thanks

HA

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
How about a dry rag, and some gun cleaning solvent, if their real bad. Or maybe just a dry rag. I dont let mine get that bad, and I have the same 3030 dies I bought in 1973. 357 - 38 special also.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
That's what I use too, gun solvent. But carburetor cleaner, brake parts cleaner or good ole kerosene or diesel fuel cleans like the dickens too!!  A good wash in soapy HOT HOT water and a minute with the compressed air and it will be squeaky clean in no time!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.