Author Topic: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax  (Read 11639 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2009, 01:28:46 AM »
If not a permanent structure what about a surplus medical tent? it has a rigid frame a roof could be built in place of the vinyl one and you could keep the original sides as they roll up,
I have one, it's 2 sections and big enough for fit my Ford F150 inside, 1 section would probably be plenty.

Allen <><

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2009, 02:31:43 AM »
Rocklock,
Now you've got it smooth! What did you have to tweak?

"Strike while the iron is hot
Meaning: Seize the opportunity! When we have the chance to do something, we should do it immediately. Otherwise it will be too late.
Note: strike (verb) = hit very hard and deliberately | iron (noun) = a strong, hard, grey metal
Origin: This saying refers to the blacksmith who works with iron. First he heats the iron until it is red hot and soft. Then he immediately hits the iron with his hammer to change its shape. If he waits, the iron becomes cold and hard again, and he cannot shape it."

I think Vincent's quote went something like: "Now, if I could only remember where I put my damned ear."
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:23 AM »
Yes I have been loolking at tough sheds for about 800 bucks I can get the little one .
A pole building with hanging of detachable walls ....? That sounds like a good idea .

BTW I have no schedual .

But I am anxsious to make one .

BoomJ theres real nothing more to tweak as getting it smooth took the tweaking . I'm going to pour about 5 of these in total now , subject to change .

After that I will do a small 1838 cannon , and IF that works I'll finish the positive for big 1838 and cast one for Spud , and Tracy s mentioned he liked the lines on my drawing so maybe two ...maybe three  ;D.

Now that I think about it I like it too .

Thank you BoomJ for the explaination of SWTIIH  :-X .

Whatever else Vincent may have said ....he also said SWTIIH . To him it meant paint while the insperation was stirred . It seems Vince as I call him realized his mistake after reading "your" definition .....He cut or had cut off his ear he wrapped it in newspaper and gave it to a lady of the evening to show his love .......

Then he borrowed the caretakers revolver to shoot some crows ...... but after realizing how baddly he himself had butchered the meaning ........of SWTIIH he went ahead and shot his self in the ....groin ! :o

Thanks alot BoomJ YOU killed Vince .
Vincent is a fav. of mine .   

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:07 AM »
"I'll finish the positive for big 1838 and cast one for Spud"  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »
OK Gary, I'm ready, I had to get warmed up. First of all let me tell you that I look forward to reading your posts, it's like taking a really good roller coaster ride.
Now, about this libelage thingant, where you're gettin accusatory in reference to myself burning El Vin. You know darn well that I couldn't have killed him, I was just a baby when he died, and my mother wouldn't even let me touch a gun till I was 12 or 13.
This may come as a shock to you, but I have also had an affinity for the fine arts since I was very young, and I also draw and dabble in other artistical thingages.
I don't want to argue the point, but many historians are of the opinion that Van Gogh's mutilation of his own ear came after an intense argument with his roommate Paul Gauguin, and that his attempt to give the ear to a fallen angel is apocryphal. There now even seems to be some speculation that Gauguin may have been the culprit, and everything that was reported after the fact was a cover designed to keep Gauguin out of trouble with the gendarmes. In any event, I agree with you that Vincent was an artist of the first order.

Rocklock, I like to say "when you come to a fork in the road take it," but that's not a quote from me, that's me quoting Yogi Berra. Here's a good quote from VVG: "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

"Now you've got it smooth! What did you have to tweak?" This is my fault, I didn't phrase the question very well. From the first wax morko that had all the air bubbles, to the last wax morko that came out looking fine; what did you change in the process, that made it possible for the last wax model to come out of the mold looking so good?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2009, 08:05:32 AM »
RLI,

Before you go to those cannons, make sure you get all 20 of the Morko's done that you are going to give away to every one at Cut Bank Cannon convention II...you are going to give them away aren't you?   :)

Seriously you better bring at least one of those up with you next summer!!! 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2009, 08:52:39 AM »
I don't want to argue the point, but many historians are of the opinion that Van Gogh's mutilation of his own ear came after an intense argument with his roommate Paul Gauguin  ::), (That musta been some slap fight till the knife came out ) and that his attempt to give the ear to a fallen angel is apocryphal. There now even seems to be some speculation that Gauguin may have been the culprit, and everything that was reported after the fact was a cover designed to keep Gauguin out of trouble with the gendarmes. In any event, I agree with you that Vincent was an artist of the first order.

I've heard the same thing , BoomJ .

Rocklock, I like to say "when you come to a fork in the road take it," but that's not a quote from me, that's me quoting Yogi Berra. Here's a good quote from VVG: "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."   Yea it happens ? ;)

"Now you've got it smooth! What did you have to tweak?" This is my fault, I didn't phrase the question very well. From the first wax morko that had all the air bubbles, to the last wax morko that came out looking fine; what did you change in the process, that made it possible for the last wax model to come out of the mold looking so good?

Well , :P it's not so much that you phrased the question very well.
Yes the first Morko had the pox , the last ones do not . What else do you want to know ?

Come on BoomJ ..."you are going to have to help me , to help you ? " I cant carry on this conversation by myself . What speicificly want ask ? Out with it .....

Melt wax ,pour wax , cool wax .............how hard can that be ?

Oh wait a minuite  ;D :o ??? ;),,,, I reread your question and it seems YOU want to know how to melt wax too ....hummm ? maybe ....just a little .....with no bumps , via a shortcut .....? is that it ?

As a Founding member of the "Lost Bronze Foundry of Royal Denmark and High Scocity." an am subject to the rules of Socitey . There are 2 and 1/2 members at this point with some honurary hangarounders too .

but your in BIG luck ...Dan ? can I tell him these things ? PLEASE DAN ????

Sorry BoomJ he said no .

Let me ask the 1/2 member :D  Tom , should I tell him how to do it ? .....YES HE SAID I could .....

OUTTNooOO Did I do that ? Here let me get my cell phone out and get you a wrecker ,Oh wait I dont get a vote cause I'm a pothole ! er half member , sorry Tom its a TV commercial here .

I'm sorry BoomJ wax on ,wax off .

What was the question agian ....I'm sorry I cant be more help sometime .

Gary ;)

ETA DD Of course I will bring a gonne .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2009, 09:21:36 AM »
AAAwww shuuuucks :o, and I really wanted to learn how to cast things, and I'm not talking about throwing empty Ballantines and PBR bottles either, I mean real metalogical stuff. You're lucky Dan wasn't this way with you. Oh well ::), maybe I can pick it up from some books. :) ;D :D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »
It isnt hard . But you REALLY REALLY "Gottstawanta" to do it ! Thats in Africa  ;)

Do you REALLY want to .....? I have saved each and every Email Dan has ever sent me and my responses .

I'm going to send them all to him for his book . Yes he is going to write a book . I am his expermiment

I get grades regulaly ,and when I ask something ,sometimes he'll say "oh yea gotta put that in my book ."

So the good news is , There will be "THE ORACALE of Common Bronze Cannon Casting" and Royal Danish Scocity of Commom Cannon Casters and Hangarounders  .

Gary

Try it as I'm the only one who seems to have ever had the Bubblypox . If you try it let me know .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »
Seriously folks! All kidding aside, I'm definitely thinking (and have been for awhile) about a lathe and mill, but there's no question a furnace would be a lot less costly. I've been curious about casting ever since seeing posts by Max Caliber, George, and Powderkeg, and even earlier, from reading about the casting of bronze sculpture. I'm fairly certain it's going to be the lathe first, but in time it might be both (whichever it turns out to be, I want to be able to make my own barrels). The major problem with the furnace is that it would have to be in the garage, it would definitely not fly with the neighbors if it was out in the yard.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »
Well your gonna need a lathe and /or mill for boring the bore and vent although a decent drill press could be pressed into service .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
One little ,Two little ,Ten Little Morkos .  ;D

All are good . I cant see any need to make more ?

Proly "break the Mold" to insure exclutivity .

Gary

BTW one days work . :D This is easy .

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »
The major problem with the furnace is that it would have to be in the garage...

Yeah, that would be a major problem if you have an open ceiling and exposed wood joists and the underside of the roof.  You would probably burn the garage down the first casting session unless you add a fireproof ventilation system. 

The Art Dep't Foundry was in a poured concrete building with a 20' ceiling (the 3 axis crane was up there) and a serious mechanical exhaust system plus a rollup garage door that was open when we cast.  Pretty seriously fire resistant.  Your foundry should be too (foundries had a history of being burnt down from various reasons.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »
Naw thars a sight!  Intresting how there seems to be some color variation.  Are these cast solid, or are there possibly different wall thicknesses that would cause the different colors?  I don't know about breaking the mold, but possibly hiding it away.  Then again, I've got some scotch scottish ;) in me, so I keep everything.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
The major problem with the furnace is that it would have to be in the garage...

Yeah, that would be a major problem if you have an open ceiling and exposed wood joists and the underside of the roof.  You would probably burn the garage down the first casting session unless you add a fireproof ventilation system.  

The Art Dep't Foundry was in a poured concrete building with a 20' ceiling (the 3 axis crane was up there) and a serious mechanical exhaust system plus a rollup garage door that was open when we cast.  Pretty seriously fire resistant.  Your foundry should be too (foundries had a history of being burnt down from various reasons.)

That's why I said major problem, there is an attic which makes the cieling even lower. Please go into a little more detail on "a fireproof ventilation system," to me that translates to chimney.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »
     Mike,  Oh.......... M_I_K_E !!   Look at THIS!  Ten little Indians all in a row!  I think it about time for the free labor helpers, the weak-minded ones, to get out of town.  Mike, what do we do when faced with hot, grimy, dangerous work at little or no pay?  What is it that works every time?

ROAD TRIP !!!   Yep, that's right, Mike,  ROAD TRIP!!   Like I said before, Mike, Phoenix is soooooooo nice at this time of year.   :D :D

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »
If I were forced to do my casting indoors in a wood framed garage with a ceiling, I would cover the walls and ceiling with a double layer of drywall to protect the wood as much as possible from the heat, then build a double insulated large area chimney with blower over the area of the furnace to pull the combustion products out of the building, and build a steel hood around the furnace area to trap all of the exhaust so it goes up the chimney.  Size would depend on the size of the furnace but I am thinking at least 4' x 4'.  You really want all the hot air and fumes going outside as quickly and completely as possible.  Remember that the fire is a forced draft fire which will produce more exhaust than a naturally aspirated fire.

You should have a sand pit anywhere the liquid metal might get spilled as concrete can explode due to trapped water if hot metal gets on it.  The flying hot metal would be more of a hazard than the flying concrete pieces.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
Whinners do not need apply  :'(

Whinners do get good deals on Bronze cannons TRACY .

Would you like to contribute anything else to the conversation ?     ,,,   ....    ?????    hummmm i didnt think so ......right ?

Besides I thought we were going down to the Whittington center so you could facillitate the upcomming cannon shoot Tracy ?  Like you told me about remember ?

Do NOT TOY with me you ....you ....OFFICER  :o ! with all due respect of course and a snappy salute of course too !!!!

As not to get stuck cleaning the "Officers Heads" from now till whenever you get tiered ! Yes in 74' there were Enlisted Heads and Officer Heads ....(see "The Great Santini")

Talk about youmillliating , criky there you are scrubing a toilet that YOU BETTER NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING !!!!!! Officer urine only ! ....

But THAT was THEN and THIS IS NOW !!!!!!!  ;D

Cee Gary

ETA sorry I forgot  :P   :P   :P

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
If I were forced to do my casting indoors in a wood framed garage with a ceiling, I would cover the walls and ceiling with a double layer of drywall to protect the wood as much as possible from the heat, then build a double insulated large area chimney with blower over the area of the furnace to pull the combustion products out of the building, and build a steel hood around the furnace area to trap all of the exhaust so it goes up the chimney.  Size would depend on the size of the furnace but I am thinking at least 4' x 4'.  You really want all the hot air and fumes going outside as quickly and completely as possible.  Remember that the fire is a forced draft fire which will produce more exhaust than a naturally aspirated fire.

You should have a sand pit anywhere the liquid metal might get spilled as concrete can explode due to trapped water if hot metal gets on it.  The flying hot metal would be more of a hazard than the flying concrete pieces.

Okay George, the foundry has been put on the back burner (no pun intended). I'm aiming for the lathe.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »
 :-[ Did a head count of that Morko Photo, I confess to wearing glasses, however, I counted 3 times, and still came up with 9...unless the drawing counts as one...where did I error? No matter, I'm still impressed with your wax work, those little guys are really great! Can't wait to see the castings...thanks for the wax work lessons! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »
:-[ Did a head count of that Morko Photo, I confess to wearing glasses, however, I counted 3 times, and still came up with 9

This must be what they call the "new math" that we keep hearing about at school.    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2009, 01:41:57 AM »
i was wrong there are only 9

Gary

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2009, 02:43:18 AM »
 Holie Morkolie, Batman! We've got a case of Morkoduction :o

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:54 AM »
If I were forced to do my casting indoors in a wood framed garage with a ceiling, I would cover the walls and ceiling with a double layer of drywall to protect the wood as much as possible from the heat,  

And on top of that how about cement board used in bathroom construction, this would keep the paper from catching fire..........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2009, 11:11:04 AM »
this is probably more interesting for me guys then it is for you

it havent been easy to achive this , sometimes Ive forgot to tell gary some tiny details that Ive taken for granted  :o  but it have just been so tiny details , but extremely important details sometimes

so he had an hell sometimes during the past 8 months or so because he had such an sloppy teacher  ;D

I have no idea how many e-mails it is now , but gary have saved them all .
if I would guess it could be approximately 600 - 800 e-mails or so

this thing with the air bubbles or what it was on the first mörkö waxes I still dont have a clue about
I have never had any similar problems

one hughe problem with me and gary on 2 different continents is that I dont know nothing about american brands
and of course its difficult for me to describe details in english sometimes

gary had a lot of troubbles to come this far , and there will be more of them
I can only teach the basics , the rest must come by experiance

when it comes to choose between a lathe or build up an small home foundry I would say you dont need to choose , you will need the lathe also  ;D
now  gary got 2 real good friends and doesnt need to buy any lathe yet
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
Thank you Dan . I spent all day ...well.....awhile anyway looking for flask material . I think I may have found it .

I intend to cast three Morkos at a time .

BIG TIME NEWS FLASH !!!!

I'm changing the schedual ,the invested Smee can wait .

Morko is next . #1 ,#2 ,#3 , are next . I've been chasing #1 yesterday and this morning . Believe me no two will be alike ! No Way ,No How!

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Holie Morkolie, Batman! We've got a case of Morkoduction :o

yes thats it

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
It just keeps getting more interesting
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »
Now I got the itch for a furnace. School had a foundry here 40 years ago . I'm thinking it is still hidden some where in an out building . Shop teacher that set up the program left after the first year . Nothing was ever cast . Never had another "Shop " teacher with experience to run program .  I asked once back many years ago and was told it was to expensive to let go @ school surplus auction . It must be hidden in some dark storage shed some where .

The Quest continues ......

I do have an electric potters kiln . Cone 04 is as high as it has ever fired . Have to get the specs off it.
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »
Maybe we should meet a couple of days before the next CBC2 and make furnaces.   ;D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2009, 08:28:42 PM »

this thing with the air bubbles or what it was on the first mörkö waxes I still dont have a clue about
I have never had any similar problems

Maybe it isn't so much attitude but altitude......... "The Mean Elevation of the state of Colorado is 6,800 feet above sea level."

maybe this accounted for the issues with air bubbles in the mold.......

http://www.netstate.com/states/geography/co_geography.htm