Author Topic: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax  (Read 11640 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2009, 07:42:42 AM »
Call Merle at M&M Iron & Recycling 406-873-2051.  Tell Merle what you want and that I will pick it up at will-call and mail it to you.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2009, 09:35:39 AM »
Well for now I have a source localy . I'll keep it in mind .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
It seems like I am in slo mo with this project ...Today I made the "stack up" for investing the Morkos .

Basicly it's upside down now ,to be filled from the 'will be' bottom . Which is now the top Cee ? :o

Cooling bells to hold the bulk of the bronze in molten reserve ,to cool last . morks on top ,on top of them is the plumbing which goes down to the filter receptical .

I finally got to work on a dolfin of my own , because the next gun will be a smallish cannon BUT fancy !!!

He is loosley based on a Frill Shark ,,...   :o  If you havnt ever heard of or seen one consider your self lucky ,it is a living friggin nightmare ,just seeing it underwater may 'shake you up abit' but as they are usually very deep .......still uuughhggg ! shiverly ugly . So I like him .

From the head back I tried to make it classic . Let me know what you think .

Keep in mind his OAL is 1.5 inches so these photos are bigger than life size .

If this goes well it will get me prepared to make Spuds 1838 .

DAN has been pretending to not get my emails latley ..... :D Something about the ice and snow I'm guessing , could be on either end though  ;D   He has distractions of the foreign kind .

God I wish this damn snowage would just go away . It is slowly but only thru sublimation it hasnt cleared 32 ......for a while , for more than an hour or so anyway .

Gary

.....still gittin ready ,....stillll ....... , You get by one day at a time somehow ! ;D

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
Gary,  If you don't like the cold and snowy Colorado you could always move to my neighborhood in cannonless Kalifornia. Hope you like fog. And rain.
And the ocean. And tall redwood trees.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
     Good grief Gary, I didn't think you could make one as ugly as the photo you showed me the other day.  But, YOU DID!!  It's fearsome alright, and, as so, it's a success!!  Reminds me a little of that thing that jumped out of the guy's chest on the original movie, 'Alien'. 

You probably told me, but I forgot.  Which end is up in the Burnout Furnace?  How does the wax flow into the center and get outside the investment when it starts to melt in the burnout process?

Great plumbing, Gary
and Kool Dolphins!

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
Gary,  If you don't like the cold and snowy Colorado you could always move to my neighborhood in cannonless Kalifornia. Hope you like fog. And rain.
And the ocean. And tall redwood trees.

I could use some big woods out here . To find a tree other than cottonwoods along our ......4-5 'rivers' headed east it's pretty much been planted ..,makes it easy to see old home sites ...you'll be driving along somewhere and ...'Wow that would be a great place for a house' ........oh wait a second .....it was a home site . ???

Big water would be nice too ! I really want to sail on the ocean someday . You hear that MT ? Lets GO .

Sorry x49r it's The K in the Kali that would never permit me to live there . ;D

Tracy in the burnout it will be just like shown . WE (that means you) ;) will flip it 180 to pour in the nearly 30 lbs of liquid golden goodness it will take .

It will melt and 'run out just like shown into the pan at the bottom of the kiln and out the bottom into a pot undernieth the kiln .

Thanks for frill shark comment . Yea ...hoping the plumbing passes the building code enforcer ... Dan o' the North'

I look at the creation and what must happen next with it and have this glass half empty feeling .........sort of like looking down at the crowds over Lakehurst NJ from the Hindinburg 1937 . 

'flying machines in pieces on the ground '

I sure do hope it works  . 8)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »
I sent you 2 emails gary , but no response  ???

this mörkö casting setup looks very good for me
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »

If this goes well it will get me prepared to make Spuds 1838 .

;D

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2009, 04:02:00 AM »
you probably sent them on the 2 " lost " days Dan.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:56 AM »
I sent you 2 emails gary , but no response  ???

this mörkö casting setup looks very good for me

Thats because the air got so cold somewhere between here and there they just went off into deep space ....i guess ...

Send me another email

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2009, 07:31:23 AM »
It looks to me that you will be filling the shrink feeders from the barrels only.  This will cause the coolest bronze to be in the shrink feeders since it will have flowed through the barrels to get there.  It would be better to have a lateral from the sprue or cup that goes to the shrink feeders directly but doesn't fill until the very end.  Make it uphill from the sprue to the shrink feeders at about muzzle height.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
RocklockI,

Don't you need a piece of wax coming off the head?

There is no place for gas to escape,

won't that cause a problem?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
yes there will be little air runners like the wax casting .

humm thats an interesting idea George ?

Gary

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »
I'm curious about the filling of the heads.  If the image shown is it upside down, then when it's righted for pouring, how will the bronze flow to the top of the heads, which are swept back (making the head sit higher than the neck when the bronze is poured)?

How do the shrink feeders work?  If I'm understanding it correctly, which I'm probably not, additional bronze is poured down the feeders to fill in the space the bronze isn't in due to it's cooling and subsequent shrinkage.  Does the bronze being fed into the feeders work it's way up the investment by the weight of the additional bronze in the feeder, thus filling the gap - like a piston effect?

Whatever the responses to my questions, it looks cool. 8)

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
Nice looking dolphin/shark!  I think a little texturing on the tail would improve it, though, since it looks almost too smooth for the rest of the critter.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
How do the shrink feeders work?  Does the bronze being fed into the feeders work it's way up the investment by the weight of the additional bronze in the feeder, thus filling the gap - like a piston effect?

The shrink feeders are there to supply liquid bronze to the target casting so that as it solidifies and shrinks, more metal is available to fill the volume that the shrinkage represents.  It has to be liquid to be able to flow, so it should be the most recently poured (and therefore hottest) metal, not metal that has been cooled by flowing through the whole sprue, casting, etc.  By tapping the sprue a little above the muzzle of the Morko and by making the feeder flow uphill, it will not take metal until the level of metal in the whole cavity reaches its height.  Then it will feed upward at the same level as all the metal in the cavity, putting the hottest metal in the shrink feeders.

Gary--it would be a good idea to add a short horizontal run to each of the gates at the bottom of each Morko to allow any detritus in the cavity to get pushed away with the first run of metal into an area of no concern instead of into the barrels.  Sort of like an upside down T where the input is one side of the crossbar, the feed into the casting is the upright and the excess is the other side of the crossbar.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2009, 12:49:02 PM »
there is many good ideas added here , but the question is if its neccessary for this casting

the uphill leaning sprue to fill the feeders is commonly used in larger castings , especially in sand molds
but here we got a mold temperature of approximately 500 degrees celsius so I dont think its neccessary
but its never wrong to have them

also the T shaped trap for small not wished particles is a good and neccessary thing to have in sand molds as the liquid metal takes some sand grains with it when filling up the mold
but in an investment mold I think its not neccessary as its smooth as a mirror inside with no loose particles

air vents is neccessary for the back of the heads , can be connected with the bottom of the feeders
1/16" diameter would be enough I think , but not smaller
the top of the feeders will be open so you can see the metal when the mold is filled

from the bottom of the filter pocket I would make an 45 degree angle, see the attached sketch

melt some wax and pour it into something of ss with a flat bottom where its easy to remove it when solid
make some 1/8" thick cakes that you can cut pieces from to make the 45 degree "funnel"
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
Do you mean something like this?  (The runners that are already there could possibly be used for T, but as an L?)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
No, they would be extensions to the existing horizontal gates, just running past the turn the leads into the Morko.  Didn't realize the use of a filter.  With a filter, these might not do anything.

The gates into the shrink feeders would be more like that although higher (closer to the pour cup) on the sprue and leading into the shrink feeders.

GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »
no they should be attached lower on the sprue and lean down to the feeder (in this photo)
thats the part thats in the bottom of this picture
when everything is turned upside down it will be leaning up to the feeders
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
he he he , you got me with 17 sec  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
So like little grenade sumps under each muzzle ? Yes a filter will be used .

George you are talking about small runners near the top of the pour spout just under the filter box a inch or so that run uphill to the cooling bells ?

So that when the bronze has nearly filled the barrels bronze will also start fillin the bells from the side 3x ?

Kinda be a mix of new hot and old cooled bronze ?

It makes sence ,i guess ........I sure hope this works ..........Orville to Wilber Wright , Kittyhawk NC 1903 . ;D :D

Happy New Year Dan !!!!

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »
Something more like this then?

Or this?

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
yeah you are correct , it will be a mix as the shrink feeders will be fed both through the tubes and the added sprues
its easy to add those 3 sprues so why not go for it
its also very easy if you want the T traps, just add a 1" long piece on top of each feeding sprue
then when you turn the mold in the correct position you will have the pockets in the bottom that will take care of the first liquid metal
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #234 on: December 31, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
gulfcoast
they are in approximately the correct position on the sprue , but should lean down to the bottom of the shrinking feeders and not up to the barrels

place the 3 short pieces in an 90 degree angle to what you placed them now and you will be correct
then you have the T shapet trap there
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »
Gulf coast they will be where you show at the bottom near the filter housing but then going in the other direction up to side of the bell (the white part) so they dont start running bronze till the pouring spout is filling up due to the rising level of bronze then fill from 3x little tubes so it is hotter than the metal comming up from the bottom .

No sumps for this one flask is not long enough .

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
no problem gary , its not needed
by the way , still no mails from you
dont understand why they dont reach my inbox
happy new year and goodnight from me now
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
I think I'm understanding, but I'll wait for confirmation when I see the next photos of the actual setup.  I'm sure it will make complete sense once I see it.

Dan - after reading your comment about the sprus I understood that I was extending them the wrong way, but it makes sense that it probably isn't necessary for this project.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
Here the improvement

Gary

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #239 on: December 31, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
That's the way, so the shrink feeders get hot metal instead of cooler metal.
GG
--Winston Churchill