Author Topic: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax  (Read 11634 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: New progress on the Morko ......
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:51 AM »
Harbor Freight! You mean I could havegot one from Harbor Freight?  I'll just take mine back to the Memorial Park and go to Harbor Freight.  ;D

Hold the phone... I think it was from Enco.

Either way, they probably robbed them from the graves of Christian missionaries over there during the cultural revolution, so it may turn out to be a wash in your case.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS !
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
So have we invested/poured any of the Morko's?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »
No ,I have not . I cast four good ones ......but  , as I was on a roll I didnt make them thick enough .

So out of the four I've got one keeper ,the very first one . It was the thickest and the best .

I have to get more wax .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2009, 11:12:48 PM »
Gives you a better appreciation of the gorgeous creations on display in Museums and Castle Ramparts all over the World. Stick at it gremlin, this ain't any old barrel you're going after,nail this one.........you're ready for anything.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2009, 02:07:25 AM »
And I am broke......so there wont be anymore wax for a couple of days  :-[

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »
serves you damn well right for spending all your money on an Italian hairdresser's car. Remember I'm only a woodworker................but can you not reuse/recycle the duff ones?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2009, 05:31:58 AM »
Yes the wax can be reused ,but you lose a little each time spilage and things .

Hairdressers car ........?

me my best freind "Willie" who is 15 years and 5 months old  :o. He's a stud ,three walks a day or he's not a happy clam.

I got a hairdressers bumper sticker on my truck too

sorry this post didnt have much to do with CANNONS

Gary

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:15 AM »
     I can assure you that Gary's sports car is no hairdresser's car, Carronader.  I had the privilege of driving it for 80 miles or so on the way up to Cutbank, Montana this past summer.  Wow, that's a nice ride!  You merely have to think about turning it, and it turns!  Quite different than the wallowing GMC Suburban.

However cannons are the topic here, so I will give you a hint of what might possibly come out of Gary's Bronze Foundry in the future.  I want to be clear that this is just an informed opinion, not fact, as yet.  Besides his very successful (soon) Shmee Line, and now the Religious Line, (lots of Indian cannon could fit into this category), there is a real possibility of a Yachting Line in the future.

Mike and I, accompanied by my grandson had the rare opportunity to help Gary polish some of those brass fittings, oil the teak and finally cover his Yacht, which is in the Yacht Club's drydock now.  We walked past almost one hundred yards of smaller craft before we came to the biometric gate which only he could open, of course, allowing access to where they over-winter the BIG ONES.  My grandson was so proud to be able to walk Willie all the way up to this security gate.  The covering tarp was enormous!  It could have covered an area from the goalpost to the forty yard line!  Custom made bungee cords were stretched tight across the broad belly of Gary's beached whale, holding the huge tarp tightly.   ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D   The kid had fun exploring and keeping Willie out of trouble.  I, for one, can't wait to see one of these bronze, race-starting, cannon.

Tracy and Mike

The kid and Willie walk past all the little boats on the way to the gated, Large Yacht Dry-Dock. ;) ;) ;D ;D

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »
From  the looks of it he needs to take care of the bottom paint in the spring before it slips into the water.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »
From  the looks of it he needs to take care of the bottom paint in the spring before it slips into the water.......
There's no gate there, and that boat isn't the near the size described, so I don't think that's the one.  I'd like to see it, though.  Hmm... a Gary cast deck gun... :)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
first boomer I ever saw making smoke was (think it was 12 bore) starting cannon for race at Royal Gourock yacht club.  Never to be forgotten.........that first boom. Happy ..innocent days.  damn got me going all sentimental.............no haggis.........no tartan........no bagpipes............just home.  
 attached is River Clyde  from Paddle Steamer Waverley.................miss it.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »
You guys have been sold a bunch of hooey !

Yes drives nice ,quick too .

I was under the impression Willie was walking your grandson and keeping him out of trouble as Willie is five times as old ?

This old timer loves to sail ,and back in the day I had an airplane and we'd travel around to different little airports and eat "100 dollar Hamburgers' (this was B4 I went Veg) , but they sell 100 Dollar chesse sandwitches too !

The 100 dollar thing came because between the fuel , the time on the engine and the general sillyness of flying 60 to 100 miles to eat a burger .

Very nice picture though .

The rest of the story is based somewhere in a creaves of Tracys mind . My boat is a very modest 17' Ft. Daysailer w ith 400 lbs of balast as I finaly got tired of "Being the ballast" in my other boat and leaping back and forth as we tacked or jibed while the BOOM (like a cannon only differant) is trying to sweep me overboard .

He has full permission to show it if he wishes .

Gary
Eta I have thought about making a swivel gun for her ,,,,maybe someday .

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
you are not trying to tell me that you could put a small .....working.......swivel gun on a boat without coastguard or river police arresting you ?   Are you ?     it's bad enough seeing you guys tromping all over the country blatting away at whatever takes your fancy, without knowing a couple of carronades could be mounted on your own boat !  darnit Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2009, 05:09:50 AM »
Sure why not , I'm the 'committee boat !'  I start sailboat races !

one swivel on each side .    My own insurance guns!

I dont think blasting away with it would go too well here in Co. as the lakes are very small .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »
you are not trying to tell me that you could put a small .....working.......swivel gun on a boat without coastguard or river police arresting you ?   Are you ?     it's bad enough seeing you guys tromping all over the country blatting away at whatever takes your fancy, without knowing a couple of carronades could be mounted on your own boat !  darnit Gary

Americans always plan for contingencies....you have heard about the Somali pirates extending their range, haven't you?   ;D

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2009, 07:55:24 AM »
I know several people with swivel guns on their boats.  Many of my demonstrations are ship-to-shore battles.  Our main show is right across the waterway from the Coast Guard station.  Of course, being in the Tampa area, pirates and open water are both very common.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
So I guess Gary will be the Pirate of the inland sea......(Cough).... Umm Pond..........  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »
So I guess Gary will be the Pirate of the inland sea......(Cough).... Umm Pond..........  ::)
Why not?  He's already got the vanity plate for it! ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
I GOT some NEW wax today !!!!! they are 'The Best Yet ' I will invest this one !

Here is some scribing on the left side .

This is the smooth side undernieth . YES it IS smooth !

As soon as the weather breaks I'll cast this and the second smee (already invested) I'll have to make a new flask for morko ,but thats no biggy .

I realize that it loses alittle in the photos but it is very good !

Gary

Offline Double D

Re: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Gary,

Are these going to be decorations or real shooters?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2009, 04:21:04 PM »
Doug I will bore it and vent it .56 so maybe .54 for convienence .  ;D

I know that they look kinda rough ,but this one will be sweet after chasing .

I dont think I'd ever make a nonfunctional bronze cannon or Gonne .

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
Here is the second one of the night .

Nice and smooth , another investor !

Damn this is fun when you figure it out ! ;D

gary

Hairdress this Tommy Boy ;)

Plus I have an OKA-11 to launch in emergencies

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
Those are looking really good!  Be careful of how close you take the picture - they would probably turn out better if you shot them from more of a distance with a zoom or cropped.  What's the original bore?  Does the tiller end get a round or a hexagonal hole?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
Yea my cammera skills have just gone to ,,,. . . . . .not too much .

I owned a Pentex K 1000 SLR , it made sense and when I changed an F stop or ASA it worked . Great photos .

These digital cammeras...? I just dont understand them ,and NO DD you do not need to refer me to "how to take pics" thread . ;) . I really just dont care all that much .

Part of the problem as anyone who has tried to see a marron or dark red car at night . It just doesnt like have its picture taken ????? specily shinny .

Fortunatly Bronze LOVES to have its picture taken !!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Gary

ETA to answer the questions ! ::) .56 is the bore but .54 balls are easier to get . Plus it was cast with the bore in place then worked abit I'm sure . I will bore my morko so that I should get rid of any impuities as they will be in the core and when I bore it out ...the impuriteis go away with the chip .

The inscribtions ,even on the light side and good ! and as molten Bronze has a thinner viscosity than water ...they will be sweet !

I have no idea what the "Buttshot" of it looks like  !

Dan get back to me on this via e-mail please . I do not use the term Buttshot lightly , BUT:D as it was mentioned in another post ,and is applicable here as well . I'm guessing that like a doctor ,I should know what to look for ?    .....   ;D

BronzeDoc at your service Baby ......

Gary 

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
Not to sound too uninformed, but I didn't know that Bronze has a thinner viscosity than water...makes it real easy to pour when in liquid form...Might have to rethink about getting back into casting. That would make it eaiser to pour than either Silver or Gold! What might the melting point be? Jim
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
You say you are pouring, you mean your pouring wax, is that correct?  You aren't pouring these in bronze yet, are you?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
DD ,no I am not pouring Bronze , the weather is bad now . Hi of 17 * tommorow . I bet you are froze solid ?

These are waxes only .

Yes as I understand it is thinner than water . It's hotter than water TOO ! ;)

This alloying process is weird . you make an alloy and it is not just a combination of say ,copper and tin and that their respective properties meet in the middle somewhere .

Nope , together they become 'something new' it's hard to splian as I AM A NEWOOB myself . Maybe George can splian it better . The stuff is tough as nails and 'soft' at the same time ?????  ???

We get lots of 'breaks in the weather' so it shouldnt be too long . I just have to be ready and have everything ready 'to strike while the iron is hot .'(Vincent VanGough IIRCR)

And scare up the local help . weak minds ,but strong backs . ;D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
Build yourself a big shed over the casting area, like a pole barn.

Bronze is poured at around 2100° F and is quite low viscosity although I don't know exactly what it is.  Let me review my bronze casting book and see if there is anything there.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
Hate the car............Love the waxes.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »

We get lots of 'breaks in the weather' so it shouldnt be too long . I just have to be ready and have everything ready 'to strike while the iron is hot .'(Vincent VanGough IIRCR)

And scare up the local help . weak minds ,but strong backs . ;D

Watch it bub!  Just when you need them, your expert help could find themselves in Phoenix thawing out.   ;D ;D

Build yourself a big shed over the casting area, like a pole barn.
    George,    WHAT a coincidence!  Just today we were discussing how the snowy weather was putting our friend's bronze casting more and more behind schedule, when I said to Mike, "What about a pole barn type structure?"  He said,  "What Gary needs to do is to buy one of those Tuff Sheds, maybe a 10 X 12 footer and that will keep the weather out."  Some terrifying images quickly came to mind like people burning up and a shed burning down!!  Even if that didn't happen, can you imagine being in a shed with those gasses like the ones that Gary got a snoot full of in the first Bronze Casting Movie we posted early in this thread?  I don't think a closed shed is what he needs, maybe a pole barn with movable plywood panels, quickly removed for casting and quickly replaced for weather protection when casting is completed?

Weak minds, eh??  Well the next time you call we could be deaf too!!!  ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling