Author Topic: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax  (Read 11656 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: New progress on the Morko ......
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »

Here a pic from about 10 mins ago mold now has backboards to backup the rather flimsy silicone molds .

It is full of hot wax !

More pics when he comes out !!!!!!! with fingers crossed .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »
How flat are the backs of the rtv mould blocks?  If they are not as flat as the boards, the boards will cause distortion of the rubber and, to some extent, the cavity.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 12:57:39 PM »
     I don't see where this distortion could come from; I took a good look at both sides of each half today and they look like they were poured on a piece of plate glass.  Look at the pic where he has one-half on a nylon cutting board; does THAT SURFACE in view not look flat??

Tracy & Mike

Tracy please do not start greif under my name ??????

I'm going to revel whatever is inside to myself .....and if it is not too bad I will share it in pics . If it is too bad then ...well , then , I will anounce complete succsess . and figure out what went wrong later .

Gary  :D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »
without to have seen them I would guess that they are very flat as thats the part of each pour thats up and will be leveled by gravity
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
  EXACTLY!  That's why it is so damn flat! 

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »
Well I went in to work today expecting to photograph my vacuum pump and chamber set up
BUT!It seems my vacuum pump grew legs while I was taking care of my wife!
Some lowlife piece of excrement decided he needed more than I did! 
>:(

When the company was smaller things like this didn't happen now I have to invest in more locks I guess.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »
Sorry to hear that Allen.  Hopefully someone "borrowed" it and asking around will locate it.  It seems like about the last thing most folks would steal, but maybe they thought they could pawn it or something.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »
I asked around, it can be used as a vacuum pump or as a compressor, it's bad enough when I lose company tools out of my area
at work but I can track them down to one of the sewing machine mechanic's or a floor person, this is too big to just misplace, there
are only two places I keep it in a locked cabinet with the casting supplies or on my work bench, it's not in the cabinet and
I am pretty sure I saw it last on my work bench.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »
Well here he is . Not acceptable , and obviously the mold leaked some . But the real issuse is with bubbles . Proly water in the wax .

But the thing looks very good as far as straight and all . It's a matter of getting the wax poured correctly .

OK i'm Braced ... BRING IT !  :D

Gary

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »
well decapitation would be a suitable punishment for people who dont know the difference between yours and my
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
remember to  NOT   let the water boil , maybe 80-90 celsius
try as low wax temp as possible

I do remember some similar problems with the smee in the beginning
try to remember what you did then to solve the problem

I cant give you any better advice since we dont use the same wax
my candle stumps want as low temp as possible to give the best result
but still it shrinks quite a lot
dont know how much , but I guess approximately 1,5 - 2 %
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
Come on now get it right the next time or else as punishment you'll have to hot wax your chest..........  :o

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
     Gee Gary, I don't see any of those painstakingly transferred characters on the top 3 flats.  Wait, I'm wearing my new glasses now, not the ones with all those scratches.  I still don't see them Gary.  Gary where did all those tediously carved symbols go?  Will all those new features, the pox features be 'innies' or 'outies' on the final product?   ;) ;) ;) ;)

Your friends in Broomfield
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »
Come on now get it right the next time or else as punishment you'll have to hot wax your chest..........  :o

Ahhh  :o, run away ,,, run away ....! cippy clop , clipy clop ..... ;D

Allen , as much as I dont want wax poured and cooled on my one chest hair ...... Please no ! ,it will leave a mark !

Believe me when I say , As bad as that will hurt  'Oooochhhh oh holymarroroiniiage ' ....then '...sheit ! ,gawdawn a motherofgodfrigginZilla !!!'

Thats bad hurt . :o  :o   WELL DONE !

You , however will be subject to the the same treatment ....... just because ! :o

EXCEPT this time the liquid media Dejour ! Will be  :-*....... YEP    bronze !    fresh from my furnace ! ...You will not scream , probably ?? (let us know), as the nervage overtoneollagy wont let your mouth work anymore !

But you will feel it ...and good !  ;)    Dont ask me how I know . ;D

I'm sorry Allen . It doesnt have to be this way , but it is up to you ????  ;D

Gary ..................................the badcaster .  :D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »
Did you rinse the cavity with a thin soap solution before pouring in the wax?  (Let it dry before pouring in the wax.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
Tracy ,  "...And YOU !!! Music Lover ,You're Next" twirls gun with tin cup still on trigger finger , ......Do you have a clue Kunze ? any ,any at all . I didnt think so , once Kabar reports on HIS meltingage goes ... I shall adjust it accordingly ... (read crank that beothc up ..WAY UP) .

WHY I am I tourmented BY THESE wee insults oh mercyfull one !!!

BUT only once per  :o ..... Happy Thanksgiving !  :D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
Did you rinse the cavity with a thin soap solution before pouring in the wax?  (Let it dry before pouring in the wax.)

Thanks George ! I think you nailed it  :o. It was still abit wet with thinned vasiline . I thought maybe that was a good thing ?????? Live and Learn .

I did have the same issuses with Smee in the begining BUT I traced that to the crappy wax that we use in candles (cheap ones anyway) . As soon as I went to 'art wax' the problem was gone .

Gary

and you watch it kunze cause i'm twirlin my tin cup as I speak . ;)

ETA Tracy in all seriousness ! Do you remember the day you got those NEW GLASSES ?

Member how you were running around in circles ?    !!!!  You know ,trying to find your butt with either hand ? Gawwed  :)! That was some funny sheit !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .

DO NOT TOY with me Tracy !!!

OR  I will quit using your machines and sandpaper and wood and glue and stuff ...remember the glue ? Yea I thought so , let's just move on ?????

Is there anything else that , "I ... May Do For You Sir" , this evening ?

Your Humble (yes ,the most Humble) , and Most Obedient Rouge Hang Arounder ...around . (MORHA)  ;D

Gary

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
Children!!!  Act decent we have company!

Gary are you using a double boiler to melt that wax?  I has a scorched look,

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
The wax is not scorched . It is an art wax for casting . The color is marroon . It looks like blood when it is liquid . 

A micro crystaline wax is what it is called .

Gary

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »
Don't worry Gary, I am sure you'll do better next time and there will be no need for the hot wax treatment,

and if it did come to that it would only mean a smoother look when you go down to work at Chippendale's  ;D

and besides it's all in good fun, just think when I get around to doing some lost wax casting I'm sure I'll be getting

it right back......
  ;)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
EXCEPT this time the liquid media Dejour ! Will be  :-*....... YEP    bronze !    fresh from my furnace ! ...You will not scream , probably ?? (let us know), as the nervage overtoneollagy wont let your mouth work anymore !
I see a marketing opportunity...

Think of all those women who either use bronzing skin toners or really hate waxing their legs...with actual bronze, we can guarantee they'll never have to wax, and what gives a better bronze tone than...bronze?!?

Whaddya think?  We You can charge enough to make a few Morkos and Smees...

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
Yes , but only if you are willing to post your mistakes ......

Chippendales ! ...........  :o  I dont think the ladies could really comprehend what is is they are seeing !

OR worse MAYBE they would understand what they were seeing , and , well , 'the end of the world as we know it' , would be at hand .

instead of that bad thing happening ...... I will settle for the title of "Garous Rex Maxamus" in it's stead .

Thats the proposition ! Take it or leave it . :D

Sorry DD , for offending the guests and I understand that . Do you know what I wish ?

I wish some of our visiters would wade on in ,as the 'water is fine'

Nobody here bites ....really . I havn't met one that isnt a decent man at heart  , and if they were ...well DD would issue them a heart .  

Nobody was born knowing any of this stuff . Not one , Not even Napolean knew squat when they were born .  And we could use the new blood ,  ......  :)  

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
I see a marketing opportunity...

Think of all those women who either use bronzing skin toners or really hate waxing their legs...with actual bronze, we can guarantee they'll never have to wax, and what gives a better bronze tone than...bronze?!?

Whaddya think?  We You can charge enough to make a few Morkos and Smees...

Yikes  :o IT MUST be a FULL Moon ...somewhere ! The hits keep on coming ! True inspiration abounds !

I'm begining to think that what we have here is not a failure to communicate ....BUT just the opposite !!! We are basicly a bunch of virtual pirates !!!!!!

And of course thats the best type to be , as some Navy or other won't be tracking you down from now till a snowball freezes  ;) in you know where .

"Some of them go for the sailing , called by the lure of the sea ,
Trying to cure what is ailing living in the Land of the Free  .

Some of them are running from lovers , leaving no foward address ,
Some are running tons of gannja , some are running from the IRS ,

Late at night you can find them in the cheap hotels and bars ,
hustling the Sienoritas ,While they dance beneath the stars ."
Mr. Jimmy Buffett

Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
The wax is not scorched . It is an art wax for casting . The color is marroon . It looks like blood when it is liquid . 

A micro crystaline wax is what it is called .

Gary

That didn't answer my question, how did you melt it?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »
I melted it (the wax) in a large pot the kind you use for boiling noddles .

There was water in the pot .

In the water is a two cup measuring cup the handle of which hangs over the side of the pot and keeps it close and upright in the water .

Inside the the measuring cup is a candy thermomator , and 'art wax' .

When I turned the stove to HI the water began boiling the second I stopped watching it !

After that the wax got hot and melted .

Here is pic from some time back ,the only change is the thermomiter .I use a much better one now .

And yes ! I know now the water should not be boiling ,,,,, so that small correction need not be mentioned  right , unless one would want to be Snidy . and one would not .

Gary

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 03:10:55 AM »
Gary, You might want to give Kerr flaked injection wax a try.  It comes in several grades, I use the aqua green stuff.  It is easy to melt without the hot water process.  It is very tough and has a very slick finish and I have had no problems with bubbles. You can get it at Indian Jewelers Supply Co.
Max

Offline Double D

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 03:19:41 AM »
Gary,

That wax melting set-up is a cumshaw double boiler....an that's how you are supposed to mellt wax with out burning it.  I use a true double boiler to do the same thing with beeswax. 

When I tried to melt beewax in a pan over direct heat I got the those bubbles and the wax scorched.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2009, 03:27:14 AM »
Thanks Max Caliber ! I will look into it .

Melting on the stove in a pot is a fire hazard . I'm sure you know that a wax fire is bad news there is a flash point for the vapors , then woooff you have fire .

I know this to be true . This was one of my first admonishments from Dan !

Offline Double D

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2009, 03:36:08 AM »
Yep fire, bad!  Fire Department gets mad at you, wife gets mad at you, insurance man gets mad you.  The only person who loves you is the contractor repairing the kitchen.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2009, 04:20:03 AM »
Pour wax #2 soon ! :o

gary