Author Topic: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS ! and NEW wax  (Read 11660 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New progress on the Morko ......
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2009, 04:28:56 AM »
Watching, waiting!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »
It's goning to be an hour or so ....This pour went very well . no exteriour mold leaks ,cant tell about the inside ???

A watched wax never cools
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2009, 04:57:31 AM »
blow on it
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2009, 05:38:57 AM »
Well it was a bust .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2009, 06:00:47 AM »
Gary,
Is this the same type of wax that you used on the mortar, and is this the same method you followed when you made the mortar mold?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »
The wax is the the same . The silicone is the same ,but this is a two piece mold . Smee is a one piece mold .

Pour four is cooling now  :D I am getting good at pouring ! Didnt spill a drop .

I'm babysitting the pouring bell more keeping it clear and molten as I'm sure it sure be the last part to cool ?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
After letting it sit for a while you could turn it over and pour out any liquid wax remaining.  It would be in the center (so maybe you wouldn't get any since the end would be solid) and wouldn't contribute much to the finished product.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »
Much better !  ;D It still has bubbles ,but I know what to do about it .

After Thanksgiving feast at my relatives . I will pack lightly and venture to 'The Oracle' . I shall sekk his councel and his advise . BTW sekk is Sweedish baby ! it means seek  :o

My suspitions will either be confirmed or not . If I am permitted the use of my tounge after that ,on these matters ...... I certianly will .  on the other hand it doesnt really matter cause I dont type with my tongue  ;D

ETA ouch my fingers are cramping up .....
George that is/maybe a good idea . It sounds good to me ,but I will need to include that qestion tonight ...while at the Oracle .

I do apperciate the help offered ,but I am on my path . keep it coming though cause I'm open to new ideas ,
besides NO is all he will say if 'denied' .    

WHAT he may do  :o.......humm ?? thats another matter .
I already have one withered pinky from asking a stupid question , and now my darn hands are hurting !!!!!!! ;)

It's on you buddy ,but I'll ask . You like the color BLUE dont you ? Alot right ?  
Head to toe blue ?
:o I'm not saying he would , but I have heard rumors .

Gary ...... ;)

And Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »
If the only thing that changed was the thermometer, perhaps it's the culprit?  If all else fails...blame the inert object!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
Thanks to George ! He suggested a hollow casting . It was the best one yet ....by a long shot !

I've tried to photo it but .... the thing doesnt photo very well . I think it has to do with the marroon color ?????

This one is good enough to chase and invest ! Less wax too , cools much quicker .

I'll try agian in the morning .

;D

Gary

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
 After going nose to nose with engineers, managers, buyers, expeditors and assorted inspecion lab layabouts and chastising them for years and years for putting coffee, soda pop, brief cases, wrenches, etc., etc., etc. on our various Corporate surface plates, we aren't about to allow even a little piece of sandpaper on our precision metrology plate!

Tracy and Mike

You're so right, M&T.

Only a few of us experts know what should be placed on these flat rock thingies....

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2009, 05:51:32 AM »
The secret is the SPP, the Surface Plate Protector, a piece of plywood with felt toward the S.P. and moulding around edges so it doesn't move horizontally.  Then it is a table for coffee, instruments, etc.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2009, 06:06:31 AM »
Vic3 I'm glad you know the poper and correct use for the rock thinggys are for .

Here are some pics
You can see the huge improvment in the fist one with lots of flash and bubbles .
All pics are fresh out of the mold .

bubbles

2nd good morko

Twins !!!!

Gary

ETA Vic3 what kind of letter opener is that ? My Dad worked for some in Tenn. and N.C.
ETA they origanals look better than the pics . I dont think they like their pictures taken !

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Rocko .. The first picture
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2009, 06:47:54 AM »
could be the mold for an antique one found after years of pitting in an unknown place ?  :>)

Following this thread with interest .  I did do foundry work in college , but that was 45 years ago .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2009, 06:58:20 AM »
3 Jezzs

Go Ahead ...make my day !

Gary

Offline Double D

Re: New progress on the Morko ......now W/ SUCCSESS !
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »
Don't they make an iron for smoothing that could clean all the rough spots and imperfections up,  or are they to be left for character?

Looks like you took the bend out of the learning curve, Good Job Marine!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2009, 07:41:42 AM »
They'll all need to be chased a bit .What you are looking at is right out of the mold .

And no two waxes or finished ones will be exactly alike because of it .

You can only imagine the varrations from gun to gun made by the origanal maker !

I imagine this man traveled around ,set up shop for awhile till the locals had what they could afford .

Then pack up his helper or two ....maybe sons ? Who know?

Plus this gun was found in a lake in the early 1700s since then it has been in the museum !

Who owned it and how did it come to be in a lake ???

Was it thrown in to prevent capture ? Did it go down while on a boat ?

Surly noone ,(meaning the winner) would have left it after a battle ?

Was the owner ,who I think musta been a 'somsbody' to afford these treasures crossing the lake on ice and broke thru ? I would think this goone would be first to be shed as to get out with some help ?

Maybe he did not get out .......... This gun has mezmerized me since I was about 12 .

Thats when I got and still have a Large coffee table type book called Guns And Rifles Of The World by Howard L. Blackmore for Christmas . On page 99 it is shown .

This was the only veiw of it I'd ever seen untill Dan sent me some photos all around ! Thanks agian Dan .

I can only hope to seen and photograghed shooting it .  ;D

Gary

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
Just echoing what 1Southpaw has already said. The shallow irregular pitting on the wax gonne seems like it would make the bronze end product have an antique appearance.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
3 Jezzs

Go Ahead ...make my day !

Gary
SMOOOOOOTHHH!!!

Looking much better!  I think the key to photographing them is light (which, oddly enough, is the key to any photograph).  Because they're dark, they don't show any detail unless lit, and even then, as you can see in this picture, much of the detail is still lost.  If you look at this photo:

You can see more details there the light casts a shadow in the inscribed detail.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
"Vic3 what kind of letter opener is that?"

Gary,

The handle is a truck, and the trailers say "freightways" on them. Made from brass. It belonged to my Grandfather, who was the NW US rep for Peter Paul Candy Co. back in the 20's - 30's. He may have got it from someone he associated with at the trucking company.

BTW Gary, I'll be glad to take a 'holy' Morko off your hands if you don't like the defects ;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2009, 01:30:17 AM »
"Vic3 what kind of letter opener is that?"

The handle is a truck, and the trailers say "freightways" on them. Made from brass. It belonged to my Grandfather, who was the NW US rep for Peter Paul Candy Co. back in the 20's - 30's. He may have got it from someone he associated with at the trucking company.

It is common practice of these companies to have giveaways that the sales rep can give out to possible customers...... they also give stuff out to customers to
keep them with their company our shipping and receiving guy has a bunch of UPS freebee's around his office.........

Gary glad to see you have gotten the kinks worked out of making you wax forms, I guess we will be seeing some of these in bronze real soon  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2009, 05:32:09 AM »
My dad was with three differant trucklines . Johnsons in NC ,he was VP ,comptroller , and a VP at Eastern Express  . I like old truck line stuff .

Yes I should have a morko fairly soon .

Gary

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »
     Gary,    The latest effort looks great!  We knew you would pursue it until you succeeded.  And to think that you were a hopelessly distracted multitasker until you renewed your acquaintance with the old veterans to the south!  Wonders never cease.  You are hereby awarded 8 attaboys, Gary.  Save one of those, not so perfect, waxes for us if you haven't melted them down already.

As for you, Victor3, your typically smart-azz comment on our surface plate dissertation deserves a snappy reply; for clarity, your offending comments are re-posted here:

After going nose to nose with engineers, managers, buyers, expeditors and assorted inspecion lab layabouts and chastising them for years and years for putting coffee, soda pop, brief cases, wrenches, etc., etc., etc. on our various Corporate surface plates, we aren't about to allow even a little piece of sandpaper on our precision metrology plate!

Tracy and Mike

You're so right, M&T.

Only a few of us experts know what should be placed on these flat rock thingies....

You know, Victor, I sure did enjoy the time I spent working in factories, because you met such interesting people.  After an absence of about two years, I found myself, once again, performing in-process inspection in the machine shop of a large computer hardware company.  I found that the powers that be had seen fit to promote a former machinist in that shop to Production Manager.  This fellow was about as dim as a bulb can be.  He spent at least the first 45 minutes of every day polishing the 'burrs' off the small 12" x 18" surface plate, (just like yours) near his roll-away.  When Mike or I asked him what he was doing, he always had the same reply, "Gotta get them burrs offa here, ya know.  Can't get no good deementyuns offen a burred plate."  Seems he worked extensively with a series of cast iron plates at a former employer!  No amount of logic from those two rascally inspectors could persuade him that impact damage to a granite plate produced no burrs, just a hole and fragments that you swept and vacuumed away.  I can only imagine that your career path has been similar.   ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

T&M

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »

You're so right, M&T.

Now Victor I have seen the quality of work you are able to do, I want you to rephrase that and say you are NOT an EXPERT but that "You are Knowledgeable" on many
things..............

It has been my experience with "Experts" the the following definition was developed:   "EX-PERT" = "EX" (HAS-BEEN) = "sPERT" (DRIP UNDER PRESSURE)  

Most times when I meet an "Expert" I find it usually serves well to use the three step method:

1) Smile........

2) Nod your head........

3) Escape as soon as possible!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2009, 09:29:30 PM »
"As for you, Victor3, your typically smart-azz comment on our surface plate...."

Wh....What? >:( I resent that remark, sir. (Don't deny it, just resent it  ;D). BTW, just so we're clear, I was talking about my super-precision monitor height adjuster, not your rough-hewn chunk of sandstone. ;)

On people and surface plates, I share your pain...

About 15 years ago, I walked into QA and found a ham-fisted individual (actually a close friend I still share an office with today; I just keep him away from any tool more complex that an adjustable wrench) puting his entire substantial weight onto the ends of a flat steel bar supported by a corner of our most prized, protected, newly lapped & calibrated 18" thick granite. This plate and everything on it were kept so clean you could slide a 1-2-3 block across it like an air hockey table.

"I was just trying to straighten it a little, Vic."

"DOHHHHHHH!!!! It's not an ANVIL, bone head!"

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2009, 09:47:51 PM »

Now Victor I have seen the quality of work you are able to do, I want you to rephrase that and say you are NOT an EXPERT but that "You are Knowledgeable" on many things..............

Okay Allen, I hear ya. Howsabout...

"I am an expert on many aspects of this particular cheesy Harbor Freight surface plate I have here, and have a good idea of what should be placed on it for my needs, but my needs do not neccessarily represent the needs of others, therefore I make no guarantee, warranty or prediction, implied or expressed, as to the suitability of other like surface plates for similar uses by other individuals."

;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »

Now Victor I have seen the quality of work you are able to do, I want you to rephrase that and say you are NOT an EXPERT but that "You are Knowledgeable" on many things..............

"I am an expert on many aspects of this particular cheesy Harbor Freight surface plate I have here, and have a good idea of what should be placed on it for my needs, but my needs do not neccessarily represent the needs of others, therefore I make no guarantee, warranty or prediction, implied or expressed, as to the suitability of other like surface plates for similar uses by other individuals."

;D

Harbor Freight! You mean I could havegot one from Harbor Freight?  I'll just take mine back to the Memorial Park and go to Harbor Freight.  ;D

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2009, 05:56:51 AM »

;D

Harbor Freight! You mean I could havegot one from Harbor Freight?  I'll just take mine back to the Memorial Park and go to Harbor Freight.  ;D

Double D,  You have no idea just how revealing that comment was.  Back in the 70s when I was a student at the Gunsmithing school, I met a fellow who really knew how to sell guns at gunshows.  He would turn a plain revolver into a rounded, but shiny, very shiny, lump of steel with heavy handed methods on the huge buffing wheels they had there.  A quick dip in the bluing tank and they would shine like a black mirror!  I watched him sell these shiny lumps at gunshows.  They went very quickly.  He confided to me that, "You can never under-estimate the taste of the gun-buying public."  He also said, "People are like crows; they want their guns shiny!"  He would always leave the show early, having sold out of all he brought with him.

So, DD, tell us, do you really think shiny means FLAT??    ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline pyrocroats

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2009, 05:59:50 AM »
looks good, that's a lot of work from what I can see. But in the end it is worth it if you are happy!

Offline Double D

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2009, 06:43:36 AM »

So, DD, tell us, do you really think shiny means FLAT??    ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike

Well it was a little bumpy sliding stuff over the RIP.