Author Topic: deer calls???  (Read 536 times)

Offline 10_point

• Trade Count: (0)
deer calls???
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
 does any one use grunt tubes or any other type of calls to bring em in? I want to here your thoughts on them good and bad. Do you feel they will bring deer out that you would not have seen other wise? thinks!!

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: deer calls???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
 Maybe??, I usually have one with me and use it very sparingly. It won't do much if you have a startled deer running by. I use it to stop/slow a deer that's meandering by. I also use it at times when I have a deer in sight that I don't plan to shoot, just to see the reaction. I had a 3 ptr come right near my tree last year. It was 80 yrds away & I grunted a few times,softly & it came over. I have at times 'blind called' with one sparingly & rather softly. I just returned from a hunt & I heard a few grunting bucks that were 'tending' does. It kinda shows how it's all supposed to go.
NRA, Veteran

Offline coyotesbluff

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
On opening morning I grunted 2 bucks in within 15min. of eachother. I started grunting about a half hour
before light , I try to sound like a young and upcoming stud the young ones I've listened to during bow season had a kinda higher pitch but grunted more frequently, so thats what I copied and it worked.
I ended up passing on the first buck which was a 4 point , & took the second that came in which was a 6
pointer.

Offline BUCKDUSTER

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »
i grunt early season, than use the estrus can call when the bucks start chasing does as well as grunt.  this year the can worked amazing.  i had young bucks come in almost everytime i used it.  i try rattling all the time too, but never really had much luck with it.  i use the grunt almost everytime i go out.  it doesn't seem to spook deer, and kinda breaks it up and passes time.  i've had more positive results than negative ones so i think it is definitly worth it