Author Topic: About the USH 20 gauge weight  (Read 1084 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
About the USH 20 gauge weight
« on: November 25, 2009, 03:13:00 AM »
I have read many posts about how heavy the USH is. Baloney, mine with a 3x Weaver aboard and it's 24 inch barrel just is not any kind of burden to carry around. Mine has a Pallet wood monte carlo stock and is nicely muzzle heavy making offhand shooting easy. It was not born a USH so it has no steel bar in the buttstock.  It is nowhere near as heavy as my 44 magnum Handi was before I cut the barrel back.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: About the USH 20 gauge weight
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
 ok I will bite. What was so heavy about the .44? They use the same reciever, and the USH 20 barrel is twice as thick. The USH has wooden stocks, .44 comes with plastic. How could your .44 weigh more?

Lonny

Offline mogwai

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »
I have read many posts about how heavy the USH is. Baloney, mine with a 3x Weaver aboard and it's 24 inch barrel just is not any kind of burden to carry around. Mine has a Pallet wood monte carlo stock and is nicely muzzle heavy making offhand shooting easy. It was not born a USH so it has no steel bar in the buttstock.  It is nowhere near as heavy as my 44 magnum Handi was before I cut the barrel back.
This discussion is useless without some actual weights.   ::)

My youth model 20 ga USH with 22" barrel and adult-length pallet wood stocks and 3x9 Tasco World Class scope weighs...8.5 pounds.

What does yours weigh?  I suspect it is close to 9 lbs.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:35:53 AM »
My 44 magnum came with wood stocks and the hole in it's bull barrel is smaller than the one in the 20 gauges barrel and I wouldn't say the USH's barrel is twice as thick, thicker yes. I don't actually have a scale that will weight things accurately enough, at least I don't trust a bathroom scale. I'd say around 8.5 pounds also as my scope is lighter than your 3x9 Tasco, this isn't horribly heavy.

Offline mogwai

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:12:21 AM »
My 44 magnum came with wood stocks and the hole in it's bull barrel is smaller than the one in the 20 gauges barrel and I wouldn't say the USH's barrel is twice as thick, thicker yes. I don't actually have a scale that will weight things accurately enough, at least I don't trust a bathroom scale. I'd say around 8.5 pounds also as my scope is lighter than your 3x9 Tasco, this isn't horribly heavy.
I just installed a 1x4 Leupold and weighed it again on the baby scale.  8 1/4 lbs.  

A 3/4" piece of pipe with same thickness is much heavier than a 1/2" pipe.  More metal in the circumference.  

Now I need to resight the USH for the rest of our deer season.  I still have tags to fill.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:02:10 AM »
My USH barrel is .960 at the muzzle, the 44 mag is .850.  Wall thickness from bore to outside diameter on the USH is .167, wall thickness on the 44 mag is .210.  So the hole in the barrel in the 20 gauge is almost .200 larger it's entire length, more than 1/5th the diameter of the barrel.

Offline mogwai

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
I just installed a 1x4 Leupold and weighed it again on the baby scale.  8 1/4 lbs.  

A 3/4" piece of pipe with same thickness is much heavier than a 1/2" pipe.  More metal in the circumference.  

Now I need to resight the USH for the rest of our deer season.  I still have tags to fill.

I just bought an SB1 44 mag with synthetic stock &  22" barrel.  I installed that same Leupold 1x4 scope and weighed it on the same scales at...7 1/4 pound.  So, a YOuth model barrel USH weighs one pound more than a 44 mag handirifle.  

Like I said, this conversation is useless without actual weights.   ;D

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »
did you weight the USH youth without the bar of steel on the buttstocK? My 44 magnum is a 2007 model with a 22 inch bull barrel. It was a heavy piece before I cut the barel to 17.5 inches, it is still on the chunky side but fine as far as I,m concerned. As to weights I did say 8.5 pounds isn't all that heavy.

Offline mogwai

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
did you weight the USH youth without the bar of steel on the buttstocK? My 44 magnum is a 2007 model with a 22 inch bull barrel. It was a heavy piece before I cut the barel to 17.5 inches, it is still on the chunky side but fine as far as I,m concerned. As to weights I did say 8.5 pounds isn't all that heavy.
Never was a steel bar in the butt stock. That must be reserved for the 12 ga models.   And your "bull" barrel is the standard thickness 44 barrel. Mine measures the same as yours at 17.5" :D

You DID say, "It is nowhere near as heavy as my 44 magnum Handi was before I cut the barrel back. "

That's why I said, "This discussion is useless without some actual weights."