Author Topic: 20 ga. Pardner ready for deer  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
20 ga. Pardner ready for deer
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »
Took the shotgun out today to sight in for deer season opener next week.  I haven't used it yet for deer as I only bought it two yrs. ago and last year the ML got the chore done. Bushnell 1-4x scope on it that I had some problems with last year, but a little loctite on all the screws fixed that.  Two shots in the bull at 25 yds, another in the bull at 50, and at 75 yds two shots 1" to the right of the group.  I stopped there since all of our stands are 75 or less yards.  This is a full choke barrel too, off of sand bag rest.

We will see what happens next week! I have two tags but the first will be with the pistol then the Pardner.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20 ga. Pardner ready for deer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
Good luck Joe, Pardners with slugs for deer just feel right in the woods, and they work great too!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I love a 20ga. Pardner. I have one with a 20" barrel and a 4x scope. Like you say, out to 75 yds. or so it shoots great. I just got another 20ga. barrel that is 22" long. I plan on putting a set of sites on it to make my own Tracker. Gotta love the 20. ;D

Spanky

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »
My 20 gauge Pardner is my bad weather deer gun. I had it out 2 Saturday's ago in the pouring rain. Mine just wears the bead sight so I wouldn't shoot out to 75 but I can shoot it accurately enough to take a deer at 50 yards which is a long shot anyway in bad weather in the thick New Hampshire woods I hunt. This gun is my favorite among everything I have because it is so versatile. It gets used way more than any other gun I have.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
This gun is my favorite among everything I have because it is so versatile. It gets used way more than any other gun I have.

That says it all. Alot of us think the same way... myself included. ;)

Spanky

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »
I have an 18.5" 20 gauge barrel that has been fitted with screw in chokes. It has an extra large bead on it and is great with cheap Remington 2 3/4" sluggers. It shoots them ded-nutz on at 50 yards but about  2.5" right of POA (a deer would not know). It shoots them great at 100 yards as well but about 6" right of the bull and just a couple if inches low. Today, while waiting for the Turkey to cook I put the barrel in my simple home made barrel blocks, and using my fireplace opening as a frame and a bottle jack as the bending power I bent it a bit to start the adjustment process. Now to shoot and adjust if needed. It is trial and error but works. This fine barrel that I got from a fine member here will forever be with my "survival" setup. It, along with a .22 Mag Versa Pac barrel, and a supply of ammo would keep several people fed (and safe if needed) for a long time.
I'm glad I bent/adjusted it before Thanksgiving dinner, it feels like time for a nap now after eating....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
My youth Pardner is the only gun I have used for deer hunting for a few years. I somehow manage to take a couple of deer a year with it. I keep thinking about adding a scope to it but never seem to get around to it. 20 ga Pardner, 22" mod, front bead and Remington Sluggers works real well for me.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:26:17 AM »
we should start a club, 20 gauge modified Pardner, cheap Remingtons sluggers, and a great day in the deer woods, and hopefully with a deer on the meat pole....<><....:)

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
LOL, I think so much of pardner that I recently traded for another 20ga pardner. I plan to convert this one to a deer hunting "machine". Cut the barrel back to 20" or so, drill and tap for scope mount, and any other "improvements" I can think of. I might even take it hunting some day, but it had better shoot danged good to replace my plain jane pardner.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
This gun is my favorite among everything I have because it is so versatile. It gets used way more than any other gun I have.

That says it all. Alot of us think the same way... myself included. ;)

Spanky

Definitely, if I could only keep one gun this would be it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
we should start a club, 20 gauge modified Pardner, cheap Remingtons sluggers, and a great day in the deer woods, and hopefully with a deer on the meat pole....<><....:)

I'm in! I love having the option of putting a birdshot round in while I'm out deer hunting for the occasional partridge flush. I've been trying to talk my cousin into getting one for years and he finally picked up a MOD choke Topper 20 gauge this year and he won't stop raving about it now.

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
I had my 20Ga Tracker I barrel factory fitted to my TDC about 4 years ago and also had it threaded for chokes.   A 6 pt buck, doe, sow hog, a slew of doves and squirrels; like the rest of you I have several more shotguns/rifles I could choose but, the 20 is just plan fun! 

I'd join a 20 only club.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:03:58 AM »
Topper,

That's a great idea having the smoothbore slug barrel threaded for choke tubes for super-versatility. I put together a similar 20 gauge slug gun for a friend who did some work for me. I put an H&R Buck 20 gauge cylinder barrel on an SB1 frame that I had. It has a nice fold-down rear rifle sight. It's the only gun he owns, he can use it for everything.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
I want to put a set of sights on my 20ga. barrel. Who makes a set of off the shelf sites that will fit the barrel and won't cost a fortune. Fiber optics would be nice.

Spanky

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »
Doublebass73

I would like to say I had the idea first, to thread the Tracker I barrel for chokes, but I believe it was Cookie that started it.  I had a 50ML & 12GA barrels fitted as well. It works out perfectly for my needs.

-T

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
It's a great idea no matter who thought of it, it covers deer and turkey very nicely.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 02:51:35 AM »
The idea was talked about a good bit on the old H&Rtalk board before it got shut down. I don't understand for the life of me why they dont offer this barrel as a standard item. They don't have to make anything new or retool. Maybe There is something I don't understand but it seems like a no brainer to me. I have a 20ga and am going to have a 12 eventually.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
I have one of the last Tracker 1 barrels,  and that little 20ga has been my go to shotgun for the last 3 years. I don't use my 12's any more at all except for trap shooting.With a Rem slugger in the pipe ,it's the nicest deer woods walking gun I ever had. Change the barrel and your ready for all upland game, including turkeys. I'm just ,too soon old and too late smart. I should have gone 20ga years ago.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
I for one son't see what ya'll find special about single shot 20's ::). Only 4 toppers and 3 Savage 20's here. ;D ;D ;D
Wait ,Wait!!! I fergot the Tracker 1.. ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 02:43:37 AM »
I for one son't see what ya'll find special about single shot 20's ::). Only 4 toppers and 3 Savage 20's here. ;D ;D ;D
Get another single shot 20 and you might begin to see the light. ;D

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 05:04:40 AM »
Get another single shot 20 and you might begin to see the light. ;D

Hmmmmm that might work :-\, best idea I've heard this week! ;D ;D ;D
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: 20 ga. Pardner ready for deer-UPDATE
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »
Morning started out with a downpour, had been raining all night too.  Got in my stand, a tripod with seat, side and roof fabric, around 6 am. pretty dry there.  At about 730am a mature doe with two yearlings came out into the food plot just as they did all bow season. Except this time the Handi spoke once and the doe was done. She went about 15 yds. and collapsed, slug just behind the front shoulder.  Should make good eating!  When I get the pics off my phone I will post it.  ;D
Not a pass through so good thing she went right down, no blood trail either in the wet conditions. Bushnell Banner 1-4 scope. Shot was only about 25 yds.

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »
We don't shoot does with fawns around here.
If were gonna shoot a meat deer we shoot a dry doe. ;)

Spanky