Author Topic: dirty accuracy.  (Read 659 times)

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
dirty accuracy.
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »
I have seen several times on here recomendations to shoot em dirty as often the accuracy is cleaned right out of the barrel. I was wondering how many rounds on average does it take for your cleaned rifles to get there accuracy back? Handies and other brand barrels experience welcomed.
Thanks Don.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: dirty accuracy.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »
My only Handi's that shoot good after cleaning are my 44mag and 45-70. All the rest of them shoot like crap for 5 or 6 shots.
My 44mag is probably the most consistent. It shoots to point of aim whether clean or dirty. Even the first shot after cleaning is on target.
My 22hornet is probably the most finicky. It never shoots to point of aim after cleaning. It always takes at least 3 or 4 for it to settle down. :-\

Spanky

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
Spanky ,

I have found my newer 44 to be the same, as far as clean or dirty.. Its always seems good to go ..
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »
So what would cause these rifles to shoot better dirty?  Loose bore?

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:21:04 AM »
I would suppose that the amount of friction would then remain constant. The only way to really test would be to thoroughly clean after each shotband see how the accuracy is when every shot is fired from a clean barrel.
remember the starfish

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »
I really don't know.  I never really checked it, but I always put a few rounds, up to a half dozen, through a clean barrel before I use it.  I clean a bore when I can no longer see though it ;D ;D  Seriously, I think another bullet going through a fouled bore takes the excess crud with it, and the remaining junk forms a tight seal between barrel and bullet....therefore, accuracy.  I would think, a totally clean bore would have some blow by and other factors, perhaps some wobble that would mess with accuracy.  I'm a firm believer of being lazy.  With my muzzle loaders, when I clean them, I put a couple of rounds through them for fouling and then make sure the breech plug, nipple or pan etc is clean.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:00:31 AM »
I'm a firm believer of being lazy. 
Pete

+1 on that. :D :D
Great minds think alike.

Spanky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 02:07:26 AM »
I am NOT one that subscribes to the dirty is better for barrel accuracy. I DO agree with a fouling shot or three before a group, but NOT cleaning is not a good idea. ALL my hands and firearms get a regular cleaning after shooting or after the "season".

I shoot pistol competitions and my rimfire pistols get cleaned three times a year. My 45's get it every quarter.

I have quite a few that will shoot MOA groups to prove my point. A a matter of fact, the ONLY one I have that will not is my 500. I'm still working on that one...

Suffice it to say like us, every firearm is different. Don't take ANY of the advice given here as the rule or as gospel. Try it in your guns and let your guns decide what they prefer..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.