Author Topic: Sending a 223 back to H&R  (Read 655 times)

Offline spuds

• Trade Count: (0)
Sending a 223 back to H&R
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:29:41 AM »
Hey guys, I have a issue with HR and I called them about it.  I just ordered and got a 223 handi that won't shoot for crap.  scatters shots everywhere.  On checking I got a supposedly new 223 that has a 1-12 twist in it not the 1-9 that I wanted and thought for sure what I would get.  Apparently the distributor had some older stock in inventory with 1-12 twists.  So HR is sending me a shipping label to send it back to them.  My question really is can I do this and them send it back directly to me or are they and me going to have to go through a FFL dealer.  Don't want to do that because my dealer will charge me $25 for the fee.  And the state (TN) will charge $10 for a BG check everytime, you take one out the of the dealers door, even if its already yours.  I think that HR is going to put a 1-9 barrel on it, at least thats the impression I get from talking with the cust. service person there.  But that's not been what they said they would do.  They said they would remedy the problem.......somehow!!  So I'm not really sure what to do.  Send it and see or get a definate resolve from them before sending it.   I'm thinking that if I do send it back, it may be gone for a long time..which is probably ok because I can't hit anything with it anyway.  What do I do?

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: Sending a 223 back to H&R
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:39:05 AM »
Send it back and wait. It may not take long for a repair/replacement. Hopefully you will get what you want. Unless it's different there, I think they can send it back to YOU. Others will know if I am wrong. I have both twists and don't know if it matters to me. I haven't done much with the 1:9 yet. My 1:12 shoots good.
Good Luck!   H.T.D.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:52:21 AM »
What weight barrel is it? If it is a Superlite ,they heat up to fast an shoot like a scatter gun. Rate of twist is about weight of bullet stability. Light bullet slow twist, 40g  ,heavy bullets 68g+fast rate of twist.  My 2 cent's 26-t

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:56:37 AM »
Welcome spuds!  ;) They'll return it directly to you by UPS ground, if they have to replace the barrel and it's not in stock, it may take a while, but for most repairs they make with in stock parts, they only take a 2-3 weeks. Did you follow the tips in the Handi Basics 101 or have you been there, done all that? I'll tell ya right up front that the number one cause of inaccuracy reported by H&R gunsmiths is oil on the latch/shelf, a very simple fix. Choosing the right bullet weight for the 1:12" twist is imperative, typically 55gr and under is required, although some 60-64gr will work, the Walmart Winchester White box Value pack 45gr JHP is the gold standard for accuracy in the 1:12" barrels, most shoot it well under 1" after the barrel has been well seasoned which may take upwards of 200 rounds depending on the break-in steps taken, a good bore polishing can reduce the range time, mine took 80 rounds to get there after polishing. All of this info can be found in the FAQs and Help sticky under accurizing ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »
Ya they send it back to YOU. It's a "repair" and not a sale. You already own the gun so it is not subject to re-registration or a re-sale like a pawnshop has to do. Your good to go, without all the hassel. Even fitting a new barrel is the same,,
,, it's a "repair" status.
I like my 1-12,,but I can't shoot the heavy bullets thats all.
found elsewhere

Offline spuds

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
Heck, can the 1-12 shoot 55 and up gr good, pretty good, good enough, or should I send it back and get the 1-9.  Now I'm thinking everybody that shoots the 1-12 likes them and has good luck with them.  But this one don't do good.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »
They aren't going to replace it if there's nothing wrong with it, they'll make sure the latch and shelf are clean and dry, then test fire it with factory sporting 223 Rem ammo, if they get 2" or less 3-shot 100yd groups, they'll return it to you as it is, that's their standard of accuracy. What bullet weights and ammo have you shot? Have you read the Handi Basics 101 or any of the FAQs accurizing tips? Is it a 20" Superlight barrel? They won't shoot well after they warm up, trying to get a decent group will be futile with an unbedded forend.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
Spuds, I'm in Tennessee.  I've sent two guns back to Savage.  UPS picked them up and UPS returned them to me.  No FFL necessary.  In fact, Savage paid the shipping both ways.