Author Topic: Before and After...  (Read 789 times)

Offline Jamison

• Trade Count: (7)
Before and After...
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »

I have been watching this guy for two years and finally decided that he wasn't what I wanted breeding on our farm, as I have already seen the same antler characteristics in a couple of other bucks.
He came by with a pard at about 7:40 am Monday morning and gave me a 50 yard offhand shot as he walked by. He didn't even kick... The 168 gr AMAX did its thing, and the rest is history.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Before and After...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:18:53 AM »
 Great Job!
 I thought you were going to show your deer on cam, then a swollen belly from eating him :D

You said he was walking with another buck? rut over or not started?

Lonny

Offline Jamison

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:29:38 AM »
He was with another buck an 5 does. They really haven't started yet. They are scraping, but their necks are just starting to swell and I think we will see more activity over the next few days.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 05:19:40 AM »
Pretty unusual buck.  Guess if its a gene thing its kinda weird.  I'd have thought maybe it was a/c previous injury or something.  But no doubt if there are others of like status its a good thing to get them out of the herd and into the freezer.  Wonder how old he was? Congrats.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Jamison

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:47:44 AM »
I aged him by his teeth at 2.5 years. I watched him last year and he had the same characteristics as a 1.5 year old, just not as big. He was a 190# 2.5 year old, so he definitely had the nutrition to have the best antlers he could have. He may have been a good buck at 4 or 5 years, but we don't get deer that old around here. I hunt 130 acres and the neighbors will shoot a deer like him on sight. There was 191 in nontypical killed off our property in 2005, but they are rare. I killed a 130 inch 9 point last year that was 3.5 years old, and he was the only really mature buck I saw all year.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:30:39 AM »
WOW, to reach that kind of weight as a 2 year old.  You're right must be a great area for them feed wise and maybe with light winters to boot.  Congrats again.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
I have been watching this guy for two years and finally decided that he wasn't what I wanted breeding on our farm, as I have already seen the same antler characteristics in a couple of other bucks.
Studies repeatedly show that selective harvest has little impact on a given property's genetics.  Congrats on the deer, but unless you're inside a fence it won't have much impact on the quality of your overall herd.