Author Topic: Christmas comes early  (Read 586 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Christmas comes early
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:42:46 AM »
Well my junk (  ;D ) Lee press up and bit the dust , it only took 30 + years , so mama , myself and our youngest jumped it the truck for a short road trip to Sinclair's over in Ft Wayne to see what they had , was thinking the RCBS RC , but they were out of those .

However they did have a good deal on the Redding-BigBoss II , so it jumped in the back of the pick-up for the ride back to Ohio . this thing is a HOG of a press , if this one ever wears out it can be used to hold down hot air ballons .

It gets better , mama comes up to the man-cave as I'm fighting with another press and said " Are you sure you don't need another press as these are about worn out . " so next week I get to pick up another one at the local gun show .  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D happy-happy-joy-joy

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Christmas comes early
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:20:27 AM »
man, these guns are more than 5 years old....sheesh....

they just don't work like they should....damn near worn out...i better pick up some guns too...

;D ;D ;D

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »
Yup, done wore a hole in the middle of the barrel...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »
Not funny guys  ;D , I have a bolt gun right now that is in need of a new barrel because I have shot one out already , in less than 4 years .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »
Good show Stimp!!  Your gonna love that Redding!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »
i wish i shot enough to wear out a barrel. maybe 2010 i can make time.

yeah sure, with the new gf and the house to keep up...guessing not.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
WOW! Way Cool!
My "new" press is a 1934 model Pacific with both priming arms for $5.00 at the show last spring! Yeah, it was locked up, but a good rap with a hardwood block and a 2lb hammer broke it loose. All cleaned up and oiled, it is the tightest press I have. A good press does keep going on, and on and on......

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:33:40 AM »
stimpylu32 , I had a Lee Challanger press before I bought my Lyman Crusher press. You'll quickly discover why the Redding costs more and you'll like the press. The Lee got the job done but in use it's no contest which one is better.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:30:37 AM »
Good for you Stimpy!  Happy early Christmas.

I got an early present too courtesy of my cousin. My uncle passed away a month ago and while they were splitting up his guns, he had two flintlock rifles he made from kits in the 1980s never fired to my knowledge just hung on the den wall. They are giving them to me, I can't wait to get my hands on them. They won't stay unfired for long!  Not sure what they are exactly but one has the looks of a Kentucky long rifle.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »
WTG Stimpy!! Sounds like Mrs. Stimpy is a reloader's dream come true.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:49 PM »
Well, No "Mrs. Stumpy" at my house, but the little lady who shares the reloading room/sewing room/craft room/TV room with me made nary a wimper when I ordered the new Hornady L&L AP about 2 weeks back.

Note that "reloading room" was first on this list. That is a matter of opinion, depending on who you talk to.

Seemed to make all kinds of sense to use those Cabela's bucks/points, the $30 come on Cabela's was offering and the 1000 "FREE" bullets Hornady is now obligated to send me

Razz her about buy'in a new whatever, and always get the go ahead.

Guess she knows me overly well and knows I won't be buy'in unless it is mostly/kinda/well maybe reasonable and we can afford it.

Love that women and to think I almost lost her back in April.

Was a special birthday when she looked over at the calindar on the wall of that Spokane cardiac intensive care unit and wished me "Happy Birthday."  Just don't get much better!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:35:20 PM »
I have an old RCBS Rock Chucker and it has served me very well. It makes accurate loads and is as tight today as the day I bought it. The Redding you got is even better, if that is possible. If I was to get a new one, I would seriously consider the Redding Big Boss - It is truly a press to last a life time and then some. There is no comparison to the Lee press you had. You are going to ask yourself why you did not do this a lot sooner. Good Luck to you Richard
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 06:25:55 AM »
Yep, not a big Lee fan here.

I have a few of their items - FEW - and on some they even have some good ideas.  Put a bit better metal/material and a tad more $$ into manufacturing and they might need to charge a bit more, but would get more then a quickly passing glance when I buy.

A friend just got one of their progressives about the time I got the Hornady L&L and I sure need to be diplamatic when we talk about them.

However, they do have a market nitch and for those whose needs are filled by Lee, great, go for it!

We do have bigger issues to concern us then the press on our bench, for example -- components, places to shoot, and the continuing right to own and use firearms!

Anyway, my RockChucker - bought it used - has served me well for a long time and will continue to serve for rifle ammo reloading.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag