Author Topic: Buckhammers  (Read 1631 times)

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
Buckhammers
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:44 AM »
After a second season of using these slugs, I have been very impressed with there ablity in both 20 and 12 gauge

great accuracy in my smooth and rifled bore guns 20/12 USH's and remington 1100 hastings barrel
 and an 1187 smooth bore with modified choke tube.

we have had kills out to 147 yards with the 12s
and 117 with the 20

most have been zero yards to recovery

anybody else.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Re: Buckhammers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:21:05 AM »
My fickle gun toying has brought me into the realm of slug guns. I am scheming on hunting Indiana next year. So I have picked up a Nef Ultra Slug Hunter 20 gauge barrel which shoots BuckHammers very well. My initial testing will be on feral hogs and maybe a doe in the next couple of days. Could you describe penetration and radial damage the Buckhammers have given?
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline ChrisK

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
I have not used these before on deer but have shot them before. It will kill deer just as dead as a 12 gauge will if you limit your distance to around 125 maybe a shade longer.
Chris Kiefner

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
My fickle gun toying has brought me into the realm of slug guns. I am scheming on hunting Indiana next year. So I have picked up a Nef Ultra Slug Hunter 20 gauge barrel which shoots BuckHammers very well. My initial testing will be on feral hogs and maybe a doe in the next couple of days. Could you describe penetration and radial damage the Buckhammers have given?

very very ugly

Offline rickt300

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »
With that stunning endorsement beware deer and hogs!

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »
This was my 4th season (2009) using the Buckhammer slugs.  I've killed 4 deer with them and I would have to agree.  I hit a buck this year just behind the near shoulder that immediately exited through the center of the far shoulder and rendered it completely inedible.    Bittersweet, really.....   ;)  He ended up about 10 yards from where I hit him.   

Last season, I killed two deer with the bow, but was not lucky enough to get one with the gun.

2007 - Killed a doe with a shot behind the shoulder.  She went about 40 yards and piled up within sight.

2006 - I shot a doe walking downhill with the same type of shot (behind the near shoulder and through the far shoulder) and she tumbled to the ground on her next step.  Later that same season, I hit a doe on a deer drive that was running straight away from me slightly downhill.   The slug entered her spine about half way up her back even with the diaphragm and traveled into her ribcage.   After I pulled the hide off that doe, it was easy to see where the slug had entered and broken her spine, bounced off the inside of her breastbone and punched another hole in the ribcage.  The slug was lodged under the hide about 3 inches from the hole it had made in the ribcage.   Pretty much tore up her boiler room.   She tumbled to the ground when it hit her, zero tracking. 

This is what the slug looked like after I pulled it out of her:

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
Another fine endorsement. Thanks for the pictures. What part of the country are you hunting in? Is that from a 12 gauge?

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
 :) Howdy! I will have to try some of these Buckhammer slug shells. A few years ago I wanted to get into shotgun slug hunting; however, I never found a slug that shot very well out of my Mossberg 835 rifled 12g barrel. I even replaced the sight, but it did not help. I plan to get some of the Buckhammers and go to the target range. I may have to get a scope instead of going open sight. I have always had an interest in hunting deer, black bear, and other game with a shotgun. One thing I have learned from experience and the forums here is that slugs is the way to go instead of buckshot thru a smooth bore shotgun. I have taken deer with buckshot previously, but only at very close range.  Your views always appreciated!  Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
Another fine endorsement. Thanks for the pictures. What part of the country are you hunting in? Is that from a 12 gauge?

I'm in the Finger Lakes area in NY.   I hunt mostly around here, but some in Central NY.   That is indeed with a 12 gauge, and none of the shots I've had to take were over 60 yards!