Author Topic: 1st deer thanks  (Read 868 times)

Offline troglodyte

• Trade Count: (0)
1st deer thanks
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been a long-time lurker, few-time poster here at Graybeard's.  If you would allow me a few minutes I'd like to say a few things.

I'm a 1st generation hunter in Texas.  Now Texas has a great hunting tradition but a 1st timer without land or money has a hard time breaking into the hunting scene.  I've been hunting upland game for 30 years, as opportunities arose and sometimes years in between opportunities.  Generally I have been an arm-chair hunter longing to get into the field.  I am outdoorsy, backpacking and enjoying visits away from the city but hunting was/is always a difficult endeavor due to time, place, and/or money. 

This has changed, at least to some degree.  My son is marrying a wonderful young lady whose dad just happens to own lots of land and has a lease.  He was gracious enough to take me to his lease to whitetail hunt.  He was a very gracious host. 

Thanksgiving day brought a small 6 pt into my scope.  I'll admit I wanted my first deer to have antlers although I had a doe picked out until the buck showed up.  I don't imagine I'll ever be too inclined to shoot another buck that small again.  I had missed an opportunity at an 8 pt. earlier in the day (no shot) and wasn't going to let this one walk away. 

I gutted him by myself...and let me tell you...the first man to gut a deer couldn't have made it any harder or taken any longer... but I did it myself in the dirt under a perfectly blue, cloudless sky with the sun setting over the ridgeline.

So I'd like to thank all of you that help me on that first kill.  Many of you unknowingly helped me pick out a rifle and load.  You helped me choose a shot placement and how to pull the trigger.  You set up my scope and helped me breath during the pulling of the trigger.  You all had a part in this, my first deer. 

You don't know how many posts I read and how much advice I gleaned from this site. 

Greybeard, Thank you for making it possible. 
Community, thank you for all of your help and support.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 1st deer thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »
You are quite welcome. Glad it all worked out for you eventually.

I still recall my first deer also a buck but only a yearling spike with rather short spikes. I too had the daunting task of figuring out how to gut it on my own but got it done. I had cleaned many squirrels and rabbits, birds and fish long before than and other than size it's all kinda the same more or less. ;D There have been a lot of them since that one. Hopefully there will be for you as well.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:24:17 AM »
Congrats Trog!!! That's one of the best posts that I've read in a long time.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
 Congrats!

My first was also a 6 point. Not a monster by any means, but I was and still am very proud of my first and several since. Good luck in all your future hunts.

Lonny

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Congrats on your buck.  Glad to hear you can now get out hunting.....enjoy every minute of it.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »
congrats trog! my first was a crotch horn and to this day it was one of the biggest bodied deer I have shot. I too was on my own in the gutting of it, but had many small game animals under my belt. My son just got his first and other than starting the opening cut all I did was talk him through the gutting process and he even found the bullet.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline spruce

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Congratulations!  Great story with a happy ending.

First deer is something to be proud of - size of the antlers (or no antlers) matters not in the least.

I think far too much emphasis is put on "trophy" hunting these days.  It's the experience of the hunt itself that really matters.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »

I think far too much emphasis is put on "trophy" hunting these days.  It's the experience of the hunt itself that really matters.
[/quote]

+1 on that spruce. my sons first was a spikehorn and he was pumped up like a banty rooster and I couldn't be more proud of him. Way to much emphasis has been placed on trophy hunting. I can't stand the term "shooter buck" too many people have lost sight of the fact that hunting is the experience, and putting food on the table not mounts on the wall.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline troglodyte

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:46:32 PM »
I appreciate y'all's congrats and stories.

Just an update.  I made up a batch of venison stew for the group of teachers I eat lunch with everyday.  If I do say so myself (and the rest agreed) it was mighty tasty. 

I think chicken fry will be the next item on the menu. 

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:49:09 AM »
Let me add my congrats Trog!

Hope you see many more deer in the years ahead, but you will always remember that 1st one for sure.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »
Congratulations!  I too am a first gen hunter.  I didn't grow up around guns at all but got interested in them when I was about 19, started hunting when I was 23 I think.  My first was a spike yearling and I still remember the feeling and can still see him through my scope.  Yes, the first field dressing was quite a daunting task that, like you said, took entirely too long and was quite messy.  Just wait until you gut shoot one though.  I always try to make a double lung shot but the gut shots creep in there sometimes...and they are no fun whatsoever to field dress.

Hope you continue hunting and have many successful years.  Congratulations again!
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline hemlock_vt

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »
Congratulations, sir, and props for getting into it without a parent to teach you. I too took my first this year, and although my father hunted when he was young he'd stopped a long time back and couldn't teach me. Luckily, my girlfriend's father is a skilled and experienced hunter and has been my mentor.

Great to hear about others who've taken the initiative to get into it without the benefit of being trained by parents from a very young age. It's a really incredible feeling to get your first.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »
Great hunt and great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline BUCKDUSTER

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
well that deserves a good old fashioned, "ATA BOY!!!" and a pat on the back.  congrats and good luck in your future hunts.  the first deer is very special for everyone, and i hope you took lots of pics to save the memory!!  good job!