Author Topic: Today's Squirrel Hunt Adventure  (Read 582 times)

Offline coyotehunter223

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Today's Squirrel Hunt Adventure
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:07:42 PM »
I have always been a .22 man when it comes to squirrel hunting, and most always fill the pot. I recently bought a H&R .410 because I have just always wanted one. I have had it at the range a few times to pattern different 2 1/2 shells. It did best with Winchester 2 1/2" #6 shot. At 20 yards, the pattern on paper was very evenly filled with every shot. I was well pleased. Well today I took it out for it's first hunting trip. About 7:30AM I shot my first squirrel and watched it fall from the tree at 20-25 yards. I left it lay not wanting to disturb the area. About 20 minutes later I shot my second squirrel and watched it fall from the tree at about 20 yards. I went to get it and it was nowhere to be found. I searched the area a good 10 minutes. DANG IT! I went to get the first one I had shot. I found blood on leaves at tha base of the tree but no squirrel. I searched for this one a good 10-15 minutes but no squirrel. DOUBLE DANG IT!! I know the gun patterns very evenly at those distances. Could my problem be I should be using 3" shells with more shot? Surely the little .410 has enough kill power at this distance. What are your experiences?

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Today's Squirrel Hunt Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
If you are using the 2.5 inch shells I would use the #4 shot, esp later in the season, when the fat is getting a little heavier. i would suggest. 3 inch in either a #5 (if you can find them) or 6s.  just a touch more punch. I use a H&R .410 for opening day (thinner but, more leaves) and the #4s did a fine job never lost a one.....
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:53 PM »
Are you sure that something did not drag the dead squirrels off? Perhaps Big Morty for you oldtimers here. I suggest you pattern the 3" .410 shells before you hunt with them. Most here have better patterns in the little .410 with 2 1/2" shells. The 3" shells are reported to have blown patterns with holes in the center of the shot group. Try yours to be sure....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline coyotehunter223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get a box of 3" shells. I see Winchester is the only one offering 3" with 3/4oz of shot. It seems the other mfg's just offer the 11/16oz size. I know that's a small difference but that probably counts for another 10-15 pellets.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:22:30 AM »
Definitely pattern the ' shells before hunting with them.  The 3" shells shoot doughnuts in my .410. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:22:10 AM »
  I agree with Brett on the 3" shells. Giant holes in the center of the pattern. I have also had problems killing squirrels with the 410. Switched to the 28ga. Works a little better than the 410. Neither one of them work as well as my old Western Auto 20ga. ;D.
      bobg

Offline coyotehunter223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the 3" shells. Sounds like I should just save my money and use the 2 1/2" shells and go to smaller shot than #6. Of course that would mean even less pellets. I do have an old Savage 20ga but I really liked the idea of the little .410. Maybe I should reserve it for rabbits only.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
Who wants to pick pellets out of his meat?  As much as you might have liked and wanted to go to a shotty.......I suggest only 22LR on squirrels.   One shot one kill.

In all the time I've been hunting squirrels with a 22....I can't say there is ever a time that I wished I had a shotty instead.

JMO
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
My suggestion would be to get a 20ga. Perfect squirrel gun and whou doesn't want to add to their gun collection.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun