Author Topic: Primer Question  (Read 757 times)

Offline togojeff

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Primer Question
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
I am at work now and doing some loading for my 357 handi in my spare time.
All I have are small pistol and small rifle primers with me, no small pistol magnum primers.
Can I use the small rifle primers in lieu of the small pistol in the handi?

I want to use W296 for some loads and my Hornady reloading handbook recommends
small magnum pistol primers with this powder.

Doh! Just checked my reloading box and found no small rifle, thought I had some in there.
Question still stands though. ;D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Primer Question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
It is common to suggest magnum primers with ball powders (like you have) because it is harder to light than the stick powders.  I would load up a few and see how they work, as long as the case is fairly full I doubt you will have a problem.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »
Can't remember how many years since I loaded any 357s. All I ever used for my SW629 were small pistol primers. Maybe you need to use something different for a longer rifle barrel. I'll wait to see what others say. I plan to have a 357 Handi. I haven't checked any data on it yet. I don't think I've ever used a magnum primer in 30 yrs reloading. Good Question! Good Luck!
Wish I could reload at work!

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »

I use small rifle primers in my 357 Maxie. No problems.

Marv.

Offline Duckdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:43:19 AM »
Small pistol and small rifle primers should both work fine.  I have used both and have never had a problem.  As of late, most of my 357 loading is with Unique, so the primers are even less a factor.

Offline togojeff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
Thanks, I will try some W296 loads with small pistol primers and see
how they perform.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »
All I use are small rifle in my Handi.  Have had success with several different powders, H110 being my new favorite in this round.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
i've loaded more .357's with rifle primers simply because they take the pressure of seating them better than the pistol primers.    some of the pistol primers i've tried were soft and seem to become a little flattened out.    i was concerned about cracking the pellet in the primer from that flattening.

that being said, i've only worked with Ruger .357's for my own use.   in other words, they are more reliable in my opinion than some others might be such as Charter Arms.

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline togojeff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »
Would this be because of a soft pistol primer being struck by a handi rifle firing pin?

This load consisted of a 150 gr jacketed bullet being pushed by 6.8 gr of bullseye
using a Winchester small pistol magnum primer.
I don't imagine the blowback would be good for the firing pin. ???

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
Would this be because of a soft pistol primer being struck by a handi rifle firing pin?

This load consisted of a 150 gr jacketed bullet being pushed by 6.8 gr of bullseye
using a Winchester small pistol magnum primer.
I don't imagine the blowback would be good for the firing pin. ???

I had that same problem when I loaded for my .357 Handi using Rem small pistol primers.  Now all I use are small rifle primers. ;)

Good luck, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
What you see here is called "blanking".  It is caused by the fireing pin hole being too large for the pin.  The primer is cut out by the force of the pressure blowing the primer back into the gap around the fireing pin.  It is very common in the small cal high pressure cases, but can happen any place.  Thicker primers will help out, but the root cause is still there.  In a bolt gun the solution is to bush the fireing pin hole to make the pin to hole clearance near zero.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline togojeff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »
What you see here is called "blanking".  It is caused by the fireing pin hole being too large for the pin.  The primer is cut out by the force of the pressure blowing the primer back into the gap around the fireing pin.  It is very common in the small cal high pressure cases, but can happen any place.  Thicker primers will help out, but the root cause is still there.  In a bolt gun the solution is to bush the fireing pin hole to make the pin to hole clearance near zero.  Larry

This is from my new 357 handi rifle. Should I be concerned or just use small rifle primers?
I've fired 75 rds and this is the only primer to do this.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
You can just use small rifle primers, the problem is really bad when you use small rifle primers and they punch holes, then you have nothing to move up too.  You will be fine with the thicker cups, like CCI BR4's or CCI 450's there are a bunch of others with the thick cups.  Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:51:57 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain